Personal View site logo
Apefos Scoperama Anamorphic Adapter Development Topic
  • 470 Replies sorted by
  • Tomorrow I will order the bodies from plastic service.

It will be 5 versions to test: one uncoated, three different coatings plus one variant.

• sounds great! btw: do you want people to donate via indiegogo or paypal directly?

also: it is not possible to use focus only on taking lens, right? is the mechanism explained somewhere? could not be sure from the video.

• Good to hear and thanks for the updates.

• About Indiegogo:

I got an advice in other forum about Indiegogo this week. I found it is better than kickstarter because it is available for me in Brasil to open the project. Also there is no need to wait for project review, it get online instantly and Indiegogo has the option for get the amount even if it do not reach the total goal. As I already got enough donation to finish the coating tests here on PV, I can use any amount from Indiegogo to start building units.

The paypal directly donation is better because it has less fees to pay, but it is more comfortable for us here who followed the developing since the beginning reading all the posts in this topic, I think people who did not follow this topic will prefer donate in a crowd funding site.

So people who is arriving now to Apefoscope world can feel more comfortable doing donation in Indiegogo, so I started the campaign to get attention from new people. I think I need to offer a rebate to get more attention. I could not do this in first donation here on PV because the money will be used to experiment coatings, but the money from Indiegogo will be used to build units, so a rebate makes sense, I will balance it to keep some amount to pay fees and also keep experimentation, because research and developing never stops.

Both donation methods are available.

• Glass already in optical lab, next week I will get them ground and take the lenses to coating service.

Bodies will be made by plastic service, expected delivery date is December 03, I hope earlier than this!

New tools: 22,50 usd. While I wait for coating get ready why not play with some drawing? I am a little old school in drawing, I like to use paper, pencil, ruber, ruler, compass... Much better than just the hands free drawing showed in the prototype video.

I used some adhesive tape on the compass to fix the chape, it was shaking a little bit.

CIMG9894.JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 719K
  • @fatpig

the focus is explained in the draft for the "Instruction Manual" in previous post, look at the previous pages here in the topic.

• Donation Report:

After the first report, I got three new donations through apefos.com, total amount 75,96 usd (after removing paypal fees)

• The Indiegogo Campaign got some attention, but did not grow up until now, maybe people are waiting the coating tests.

I think it is time to stop promoting it and focus on the coating tests. I will get the lenses from the optical lab next week and take them to the coating service.

Meanwhile I will take care of some other tasks that were stopped due to intense dedication to the adapter.

Time will bring an answer about how to replicate the unit for selling.

Edit post: forgot to say, I am having some fun drawing, my mind never stops getting new ideas to figure out and questions to be answered, so I keep noting, drawing and doing math calculations.

I would like to point a movie I remembered today, which have a much more important DIY work: "Lorenzo's Oil"

• To be honest, I did not want to do this, I would like to keep it myself, I feel some sadness, but I need to do, I need to raise funds to go further:

Apefoscope First Assembled Unit is for auction on ebay (private listing):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321027254359?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

The sale units will be offered to donors first, the auction is only for the "First Unit" and includes the hand made draw.

• Donation report: 10 usd yesterday, new total is: 84,92 usd (after removing fees) Total donations until now is 503,93 usd (20 donations in different amount each)

I got some messages with feedbacks about the Indiegogo Campaign and I realized people outside Personal View do not want to do donations, they want to buy the adapter when it become ready to ship, so I changed the Perk/Back options considering this. As I promised the priority on buy is for my donors here in PV, and just after the Indiegogo.

• @apefos

One question: how many lines the lens you are using resolve per mm.? (How much is the resolution per mm.?) Thank you.

• @Jean71

I am using photo quality glass, specifically made for optical instruments.

If you want to bid in the First Unit on ebay, the night shoots in the first two videos was done with the lenses assembled in it, and shoot with GH2 in 1080p 24p and uploaded to vimeo in 1080p. You can watch them in your full hd monitor to perceive the resolution.

When I get the coated lenses I will shoot the same image with them using GH2 with and without Apefoscope, so people will be able to compare. These will be the final lenses with all the improvements done.

This is a good question, but I do not have the answer in lines per mm. I think the comparison with / without the adapter in 1080p will be good to perceive the Apefoscope quality.

In the review I will also do shots in fstops from 1.4 to 16 to test resolution, shallow dof and and corner sharpness, and show the setup tutorial, focus tutorial and the coating comparison.

• I got the new lenses from the optical lab and they are in good shape. I took them immediately to the coating service and the expected delivery date is November 30.

• @apefos

Do you have the mp4 file to download? I don't see it on Vimeo, please put it on it, it should be very nice :-) Thank you.

• Hi @Jean71

I prefer to not allow the download, sorry. You just need to enable the HD button in vimeo and it will play in 1080p, I upgraded to vimeo plus a little time ago and it allows 1080p encoding and playback.

• I love your project. Thinking to buy your prototype or donate. Havent decided yet! Keep up the work!

• Thanks! I did no posts last days because I am waiting the new bodies from plastic service and the new lenses from coating service to do the lens coating comparison. I will show the results next month on Vimeo.

• Other things in 33:

toca-discos (vinil player) 33,33RPM

first minidv camcorder 3x1/3ccd = 3x0,3333 inch ccd

color tv set 4:3 aspect ratio = 1,33

Jesus age when crucified = 33

toca_discos_33.jpg
    320 x 180 - 6K
    minidv_camcorder_33.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 164K
    tv_set_33.jpg
    268 x 188 - 7K
    jesus_age_33.gif
    103 x 175 - 11K
  • Just wanted to say apefos - I hope you don't take this as soppy bullshit because it's really not meant to be but it's people like you who make a difference in this world.

You have the drive and balls to take a risk and it seems to me that it's mostly for the benefit of others and not yourself. You deserve to get a good result and be successful, unlike the typical egotistical, loud and full of shit people that seem to rise to the top of the social tree.

I hope you get a solid product out of this.

Cheers

Andrew

• word @arknox! I will buy one :) ...and I hope you too rise to the top of the social tree :)

how about the balance between your donate button and indiegogo? are the amounts combined? or do you have to reach the 500 solely on idiegogo?

• wow i haven't been on PV for a while and when i come back i see this! apefos you are a genius! and a very kind sir. thanks to you i could adapt my 3.5mm C lens to use with my gh2 and now you are doing a great job creating this adapter thank you so much you are going to make my dream of filming in anamorphic come true. Keep the good job and i hope to donate soon. also i hope you can ship to argentina :D!

• @arknox

I like your words, cheers!

Here in Brasil we have a popular expression that says: "De boa intenção o inferno está cheio." which means: The hell is full of good efforts and good intentions. This means which really matters is if you can do, not the efforts you did to try. So after all the previous development and improvements, and after the coating tests, when I will realize the Apefoscope is a product, I will consider the project succesful.

I need to say it will not be an industrial product with the same finishing found in big companies products, it will be an improved diy product. A good quality product which looks like workmanship, handycraft, craftwork, artisanal, artisanry work.

@fatpig

The reports I did here about donation was from donation I got through my website: 503,93 usd after removing paypal fees (20 donations in different amount each)

The Indiegogo until now is 105 usd (gross amount without removing fees).

The extra amount after pay coating tests will be used to build units to sell

@sebasp1

I can ship to my hermanos!

To be honest I consider you won the last game: 2x1, because as we say here: penalty is lottery. Our coach Mano Menezes was fired after that game. But we are the champions!

• While I wait the bodies from plastic service and the lenses from coating service I am learning how to use a lens software. Everything I did with optics since the 35mm adapter until now was done with math calculations and attempt/error grinding lenses. I learned very much about light behavior, lenses curves and glass properties versus aberrations from this experimental process era. I think the lens software together with my real world know how will help me to predict things easier than just math calculations before spend money grinding lenses. I did a research to find a user friendly and inexpensive software and downloaded a trial version to learn. I am reading the tutorials, documentation and help files applying the lessons in the trial software. If I find this software is good enough for me I can buy it for just 69 usd or if it is not enough I can try another. Many thanks to @Ralph_B who pointed me to a fantastic optics website where I found the software options, and to @JohnBarlow who made me understand the basic principles of lens software and showed me the importance of a lens software to predict things.

• I must say I got a bit sick by having lifted some weights for arranging the office/workshop. I had to load an iron table and a drill bench and finished with back pain. Now I'm going to rest for a few days to heal the back pain. I'm lying on the sofa and enjoying the time to study the lens software.

• In some topics VK says he likes pink Cameras, and also show some sadness when a new model is not available in pink:

From other topics: "Sorry... no pink!", "No proper pink model for VK.", "It can't be pro model if they don't make it pink.", "And pink?", "You know... they have no plan whatsoever to make a pink body for real men who wanna possess a decent mirrorless.", "For me the most important thing is having the GH3 of the right color: pink of course", "Yes. If Panasonic won't make camera in my favorite color it'll be inexcusable.",

Please vote about VK reasons to like pink cameras (one or more options):

1 - Does he want to get attention from girls in the streets?

2 - Is he excentric?

3 - Is he fashion?

4 - Is he metrosexual?

5 - Is he gay, bissexual or emocore?

6 - Is he just kidding / joking about camera colors?

7 - Is this just his sarcasm about the nonsense big companies strategies to get more market share?

8 - Is this just his natural sense of humor which is good to make PV more fun btw?

9 - Is this a sexist machoman behavior disregarding the preferences of sweet and romantic women?

10 - Is he a fanboy of the evil and bastard Pink Panther animated cartoon?

11 - Is it because pink cameras are difficult to sell second hand?

12 - Is this a hacker nerd behavior who likes toy teenager things?

13 - Do you have another explanation / reason? (please elaborate)

14 - pussy is pink

15 - Is it because he like strawberry ice cream?

16 - This is not our business.

17 - Just ban apefos from PV!

18 - Can't stop LOLing!

PS: I will try to do pink flares in the coating tests, tribute to VK!