Personal View site logo
Making money on Youtube
  • 37 Replies sorted by
  • There have always been seasonal bumps, but sometimes there is a sort of cyber fizzle. I think when the market gets priced out it can go either way.

• It is very interesting. The rate Adsense is paying per 1000 views tripled today. The number of views are about the same. The actual amount you get is over 3 times what it has been for the last month.

I guess the companies really want to advertise on Cyber Monday?

• I think it really all boils down to “What are you expecting to get”. If you think you are going to make a living on youtube then you better be pre-pared to do some seriously disgusting or embarrassing things. And be prepared to do it every single day.

If you are just hoping to pay for your equipment it really isn’t that hard. Just make videos that are well made with beneficial content to a lot of people. You can make between $2 to $3 per 1000 views on a consistent basis.

The real key here is getting views every day. You have to get the word out there and get it out there often. If people like your content then they will watch it. If they don’t then they won’t.

It is interesting that I sat next to some of Will Crockett’s employees on a plane earlier this year. They were decked out in full Safari Canon attire but they didn’t have any cameras on them. They asked about my GH2 and I told them about doing reviews on youtube.

They seemed absolutely clueless about cameras especially Micro Four Thirds. They just regurgitated everything that they had heard from Will and others that work for him. I told them that they should really try to learn more about the cameras and then do a youtube channel since he had a huge following back then.

Sure enough a few weeks later his youtube channel went up and he started accumulating a lot of hits. Then people started to realize what he was saying and that went downhill quickly.

Not everyone can do well on youtube. However, anyone can make some money with the right content and a lot of effort.

Google will be paying for my GH3 and LX7 when they get here later this week. I plan on doing a full video manual for the GH3. I will walk through every single menu option and spell out exactly what it does and how to optimize it. That should be helpful for some people. You will have to sit through the 5 second pre-roll ad though. Sorry, I can't afford it any other way.

• Maybe I'm missing something then! But I just loathe ads...

• I average $800 per million views--it depends on how you use the instream ads, over the long hall the five second "pre ads" will at first give you a better percentage but they dampen your view count after a while.

• I have a video with 900k views - made some money off it but nothing to write home about and it is really quite random. One month you may get $200 then slows down. You really need millions of views per month to even think about making any real money off youtube.

• This is not that bad. The only video I am making any money on though.

YT revenue.jpg
    765 x 144 - 36K
  • I can understand that - all these videos must cost a fortune to host (server farms, power, air conditioning). Don't know the economics of it but I'm sure it's a lot of money!

• @Mark_the_Harp

If I remember correctly, Google started to get serious money from Youtube (but not sure if it is profitable now).

They are just not interested to share anything to anyone except few partners.

• One of my YT videos has over 600k views, one has over a million. But tried to monetize them for a bit and got nada. So I opted out of it altogether so people don't have to look at ads when they play my stuff.

• Yep, but Google itself clearly makes good money as they put advertisment in any place they can.

• I once "knew"(via IM) a top Youtuber, someone in the top 100 of all time and she said that she got around $10 per 100,000 views. This was around 4 years ago and we've since lost touch. She gets over a million views per video now easy, but she doesn't view Youtube as her main career and goes months without posting a vid.

Seems like you need over 500k views per vid to make any real money, and even then, the real money comes with either T-shirt/merchandising sales or other work you get via your "internet fame", commercials, sponsorships, etc... Good work if you can get it.