Personal View site logo
Art vs. "Art"
  • 161 Replies sorted by
  • Still largely ignoring the principle and assuming too much. Discuss in abstract only. Are they knowingly, consciously, manipulated? Perhaps. Then, as the Queen of Soul sang, "Who's zoooming who?"

Speaking of soul, what is the effect of this on the perp's soul? Is this the step to selling out? If the pepr really doesn't care he wont be playing the game. Everything needed is within. Discuss.

This is the distinction at the title of the thread. Art vs. "art." The artist vs the the artiste. Art, capital A Art Goddamnit, is truth, honest creation -- more accurately, revelation -- that doesn't give a damn whether it's in a vacuum, who sees it or how much they pay for it. It's in the doing, the revealing, the letting go, that is the art. This is when the secretions (the secrets) in the brain, the kingdom, the King Dome, are activated and released. This is how you fucking talk to God. All the rest is just marketing manipulation to be consumed and wasted over by others arguing whether it is or isn't Art.

• @jrd that would make sense except that before I started doing it, my success rate was about 15-20%.

But the thread isn't really about job interviews, its about whether or not to stand in the way of a good story. Create the story, or let the story create itself? Tell a story with a beginning, middle and a surprising ending around a campfire, or set fire to a sofa in the middle of a dinner party and walk away? So many choices.

To provoke an audience, and create a mystery is only the beginning. It's something Lynch is very good at, but it's because he knows what just about everybody else knows: That sometimes the mystery itself is so much bigger than any possible reveal or payoff. It is better to let it remain a mystery. -- If the midget in the clown suit took a shit on the prostitute in the green velvet dress doing the breast stroke in the gutter, and then danced away while singing a Nordic death march, and your conclusion was: "because the color orange." Then why get in the way of a good story? You as the audience answered the why for yourself. It's true for you. Or you could walk away from that and ponder all the many reasons he might have done so. A conclusion is not drawn. You draw your own.

I still get hired by the producer I first walked out on - frequently in fact. Over the past few years we've become friends. And to this day he still asks me why I did it. My answer is always the same, "You already know the answer." To which he says, "Stop saying that! You're making me nuts." So, recently I asked him if his need to know why I did it was the only reason he kept hiring me, and his answer, jokingly, was "YES!!!" But he admitted that the truth is he likes my work and he likes me, and the story of me getting up and walking out just sticks with him, and he loves telling the story during lunch to people working with me for the first time, or just as an anecdote.

I will never reveal the reason I walked out for the first time. No matter what the reason was, it can never live up to the mystery it created when I did it. Leaving it a mystery is the best option. There is nothing I can tell him at this point that will satisfy him. It will only be a disappointment. Now if I had a really solid story that I had crafted cleverly, and the punchline was the reason I walked out. Then I would gladly tell it. But in this case, the premise behind the action that provoked the audience and created a mystery, just isn't that strong. Whatever conclusions he draws, or anyone he tells the story to draws, are their truths, their reasons, and why get in the way of a good story? :)

and so....

The reason I have a problem with Lynch as a storyteller is that any idiot can provoke an audience and create a mystery. (I did it with very little effort in this thread.) But it takes a true talent to create a great payoff that makes the mystery satisfying. Some will say that I'm missing the point. That art is supposed to be left to interpretation. Lynch's original films, the one's he comes up with by himself, are considered art because he doesn't resolve things. He simply provokes, creates mystery, and leaves you to figure it out. And yes, that is the very nature of art. But it is not Genius. And, to me, it is chickenshit storytelling. IMO he is an artist who is afraid to make a clear thematic statement for fear of being judged based on his conclusions. (Yes, that means me not telling my friend my reason for walking out is a chikenshit move. Go ahead, you can say it. It's true. And it is also true that it makes for a good story. BUT it does not in any way make me a genius.)

I have a great respect for storytellers that put themselves out there. They have something specific to say, and whatever they say, whatever theme they place before the world, they will be judged for it. They craft their stories very thoughtfully, and they don't insert their ego into the film. They serve the story, rather than the other way around. These storytellers, when the term actually applies, are geniuses because what they do takes actual talent. Any idiot can walk out in the middle of an interview. But it takes a certain kind of genius to turn that action, and the reason behind it into an amazing story. (Not that I've done any such thing. I just tossed a proverbial grenade in the room, and watched everybody react. Which, by the way, is the best way to get to know someone.)

Opinions.jpg
    720 x 477 - 35K
  • @shian

In the realm of cinema, I'm not sure the notion of "genius" is all that useful. In the end, it may be no more than a question of who can, once or twice, best beguile two hours of your time.

Is Lynch a great storyteller? Speaking only for myself -- and who the hell asked me, but who else can I speak for? -- I'd say no. But cinema isn't really a great storytelling medium, either, it's much too literal, revealing too much, and requiring too little of the viewer. So, what Lynch does with it is, to me, of interest, to the extent his storytelling ceases to be literal and argumentative. That he manages to do this, some of the time, while working in terms acceptable to mass audiences, is no small achievement.

I'd also suggest -- taking your comments literally for the moment, and not as a provocation or an allegory of the story-telling process -- that his obvious and most labored mystifications (the midgets, the cowboy in Mulholland Drive, etc.) are the least interesting element in his work, and superfluous in his better work, which can have a genuine core of mystery or perturbation. Not often, but sometimes. And, in these days of story marketing, where movies play like ads for themselves, that's something, at least.

• Let's look at "The Prestige" vs. "Inception" as an example. I'll go on record and say that The Prestige is one of my favorite films, and I think it's brilliant. Conversely, I couldn't care less about Inception. But why?

Well, I had come to expect a level of surprise that bordered on genius from Nolan's non-Batman films. And Inception did not deliver that for me. It was a case where I expected the WHY behind the mystery to be much greater than what was revealed. It wasn't a bad film, but it was a case where the mystery was so big that almost nothing could live up to it. And I expected something more from the ending. Like maybe Leo's character was the mind being hacked. A complete misdirection. Instead we're just left wondering if anything we saw was real or not.

This is the challenge we face as storytellers: Do we leave the audience satisfied, or do we take a chance that they won't be, and leave the ending open to interpretation?

Everybody's answer will be different. In my case I loved that Memento was open, but was disappointed that Inception was open, but my fave film of his is still The Prestige. Is it because the ending was finite? Or was it something else?

• Above outlines the reason why I loved the ending of K-Pax and hated the one presented in 'The Machinist'. Former was open, latter was solved in an unsatisfying manner :/ Or maybe because its formula has been used ad nauseam...

• What a great thread!!

To add a little bit of gasoline into the fire I'd like to take it into another direction:

STEVEN SPIELBERG is the DEVIL. He ruined cinema.

As much as you, dear Shian, won't work with anyone who likes David Lynch, I wouldn't want to work with anyone creatively (I don't care about the focus puller) who likes Steven Spielberg's work.

To justify my opinion: In the mid 70ies when New Hollywood was not buzzing that much anymore Steven Spielberg and George Lucas saw their chance to take over. They created a simplistic recipe. They took elements from B-movies and a simple storytelling formula (summarized in the infamous 7 page memo) together with a highly manipulative way of working with music, visual effects and storytelling tricks to evoke emotional reaction. Unfortunately it worked. "Jaws" was the first piece made according to the recipe and it was a huge success. "Star Wars" followed. The big studios were ravished. Blockbuster cinema was born and finally they had found the recipe to print money. Great directors like Bogdanovic, Friedkin, etc. were pushed aside. The road to everything that's wrong with cinema today was paved - thanks to Mr. Spielberg.

Before Spielberg & co. the unfortunate separation between art cinema and mainstream cinema did not exist to the extent that it does today. Great big budget movies like "2001:A Space Odyssey" were possible in the studio system.

Lynch may be questionable. But he is one of the few directors that hold up a cinema that questions, disturbs, blows minds and provokes discussion versus a cinema that manipulates, spoon-feeds simplistic views on the world and sees the audience as dull, submissive consumers.

I don't question Spielberg's talent. He might be a genius and I must admit that I even enjoyed watching some of his films when I was a kid (today they make me want to throw up). I guess he is not aware of what he did. Still he is highly responsible for the cultural and creative wasteland that covers most of cinema landscape today.

Cheers, gentlemen.

• Just because not every off-beat art flick is extremely successful at the box office, LOL! Couldn't disagree more with your post ;)

• Just to be clear. It's not that I dont work with anyone who likes Lynch. Read my exact words. I won't tolerate someone trying to convince me that he's a genius...on set... when they should be trucking a cart full of c-stands from point A to point B, but instead they feel need to convince me - because they are appalled that I think he's an idiot. But some idiots can't let it go. I'm not firing them for having an opinion. I'm firing them because their actions display to me that I will have a problem with them asking me, "What for?" in the middle of a setup under the gun, when I ask for something they can't comprehend the reason for. It's not your job to understand why I want a Dedo there, it's your job to fucking put one there, and shut the fuck up.

And I failed to mention. That firing them isn't necessarily a permanent state. I'm provoking them, I want to see how they'll react to it. Depending on how they react - they might get to their car, and realize that it was just a warning not to do anything else that stupid on my set. And when I say "gimme a double-double on that 2k, and David Lynch is an idiot." Their job is to smile, and make it happen. They can call me an asshole behind my back as they are running to the cart to get what I need.

But If you ask my guys if I'm really an asshole, you'll find that I'm one of the few DP's who has a reputation for never yelling at anyone. I don't have to. And they like working for me - we have a lot of fun while working our asses off. And half of them like Lynch, they just understand that I will not tolerate dissent on set. When I want ideas, I'll ask. My gaffer and I have usually discussed the shoot ahead of time and have a battle plan, and there are times when we are running out of lights and distro, and we'll have a confab with the team to figure out how to make everything happen as quickly and efficiently as possible. But most of the time - I know my job.

And every one of my guys has been through the Lynch test. I learn more from provoking them, than I ever could by asking 20 questions. It's always funny when a rookie gets the test. All my guys look up from whatever they're doing and smile. They know it's the equivalent to asking for a squeegee sharpener, or a bucket of steam. It's part hazing, and part stress test. I need tough guys with a sense of humor about themselves and the work. This work isn't for the timid, or people who take themselves too seriously.

• Oh, tell me more about this blockbuster thing that Jaws gave birth to and how IT created the "cultural waste land" and how it somehow deserves blame for Twilight, simonstar. The agents provocateur are really running the place! (where's the heavy hitter who's gonna reach back a little, why blame Spielberg when you can pin it on his inspirations? Curtiz, Hitchcock, Capra, Hawks , Ford. Yeah, none of those guys wanted to reach a big audience. No pandering or manipulation there. Oh wait, it was the great Bogdanovich who called Last Picture Show "his Ford movie", and What's Up, Doc? "his Hawks movie". And Scorsese sights those influences, too. So yep, Spielberg, he's the devil.

See, it was the Friedkin/Bogdanovich line that gave the game up, simonstar66, otherwise we might of thought you were on a steady Bresson and Tarkovsky diet, one of Those Guys, straight from Ray Carney's pulpit...

(and why the hell does The Exorcist get the art film pass ahead of Jaws? Sorcerer I might give the edge to...) (I'm really a moron, apparently. I like Lynch, Scorsese, Spielberg, Bogdanovich... I'll never learn I hope)

If you're talking about what makes money and what doesn't, head over to financial/political topics on the site (I'll solve it for you, most people are habitual movie-goers (this is most people I know, most people in my family, and I don't go around calling them dull or submissive, that's your projection again, your bitterness) where that two hours is not so different than the dinner before or the drinks after, it's about having a good time not being at work and not thinking about the stack of bills on the desk, and the most habitual ones with the most expendable income (all of it) are 14 year olds), but if you're talking about a cultural wasteland where you can go to any old multiplex in the course of less than one year and buy a ticket for Bernie, Damsels in Distress, The Master, Moonrise Kingdom, Cloud Atlas, The Grey, Haywire, Lawless, Looper, Argo, Flight - to just list a handful I got a kick out of, in that cultural hot-bed of Kalamazoo, MI, then, well, have fun watching your boy Friedkin's Killer Joe. No one has "ruined" cinema, and I know that's the hardest thing for bitter people, for whom nostalgia long since turned to hate, to ever have to hear, that things aren't so bad as their egos demand it to be to feel a little better about themselves and their righteous inward-looking, closed off from feeling anything new, fury, but it's a tough thing to apologize for, and the man who made A.I. doesn't have to apologize for anything. Except Always. What the fuck was up with Always?

• Cant believe i missed this thread. laughed my a&$ of reading it. You people are the best, loved it.

• I should clarify that a good lot of my post wasn't really directed at simonstar. It's just that Spielberg's my uncle. I mean, he's not LITERALLY my uncle....

• I'm with Jeff.

If I want angst, darkness, and misery, all I have to do is go to work. Movies should be fun and entertaining. THE GREY is about as close as I want to get to the Artsy stuff.

Movies cost a lot. 100 million+ per pop. I can't blame studios for their dogged pursuit of branded material. Limits risk.

• I took a few days to read through this thread and sometimes I cried, laughed or cursed at the heavens. Now that shian has explained himself, atlas the madcat is out of the bag. I have a feeling it would've been better to keep it going as long as possible or suddenly have a mysterious evaporation.

• I refuse to let myself get sucked into this bs. Oh and thanks for the post on Zizek RRRR, I had almost forgotten about the Perverts Guide.

• JJ Abrams on TedTalks.

• @tinyrobot I had to end it. Not very many people understood the method behind the madness.

@griplimited JJ's talk was pretty awesome. The Mystery Box is a great analogy.

I think these belong here; since we are discussing storytelling. Make of them what you will:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/11/human-brain-harmony

http://lifehacker.com/5959543/true-or-false-pay-attention-to-structure-to-tell-if-a-story-is-made-up

• bbbaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Everyone is entitled to their own taste and opinion.
    To fire someone because their opinion is different than yours is fucking stupid. Sort of like these coal companies firing people who voted for Obama.
    To dismiss a whole director's career is also stupid.

This whole thing is stupid....

• ^^^^ clearly didn't read the whole thread, sigh

• @shian

I think he just do not have access to our limited supply of special fine weed. :-)

• Recycling Peggy from the Mod Squad into Twin Peaks, plus the lore of the log lady, well, I don't think I could have come up with that. Can't say I liked the movies as much as the TV show.

• Great thread. I would also link the walking out moment and subsequent hiring to the "Always want what does not seem to want me" psyche. Why are people attracted so often to those that show them no interest? That is a good question. It is not as simple as it seems. and @jeffharriger - you left 1941 out of your "WTF" question?

• A message from David. I think it's a tactic to get me to stop writing... lol

dl.gif
    363 x 186 - 33K
  • Actually, @rockroadpix, I kind of like the loony 1941, tho' it is a bit exhausting. Coppola said in an interview once that he wished his generation - himself, Lucas, and so on - had left the movie business better for the next generation than they had found it. "We failed" he said, "it's not our fault! But we failed." And that kind of says it all, pretty easy to read between the lines at what 'Went Wrong'. Steven Spielberg making a pop masterpiece (several in my view) that made money, yeah, that ain't the problem.

Jiminy Glick, heh heh. Maybe not Lovitz's The Critic underrated, but always liked that character.

• @jeffharriger - I saw 1941 in theater with my dad when I was about 13. So you can guess where I'm coming from and even after laughing pretty hard at a few of the gags, we walked out with the realization that it was an overall sub par film.