Personal View site logo
Cheap photo tripod
  • I aim to buy a new tripod today from a local photo/video store. All I've ever had is less than 50 $ tripods so I know nothing about what is good/well made.

Are there any brands or features that i should be on the lookout for? I cant spend too much on it, Ide just like something good that will last until I can afford to spend more. I use my tripod primarily for shooting bmx and skateboarding, but realize if i buy something nice i cant carry it hanging off a bookbag like a sub-$50 tripod.

Just looking for some guidance, sorry if this is the incorrect place to post. Thanks.

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • Brant

I now know that a really good tripod is essential for certain types of videography. I use my Tilta rig on top of a heavy duty tripod and smooth head. The control along with pans and tilts have made a huge difference to the quality of the output. I now find myself wishing I got a $1500 tripod rather than a $900 version.

The way you tell is the feel of operation when its set-up and the speed of moving it around, levelling etc.

• Of course Andys info is good but I understand your needs and situation very well. Now I'm using an old Bogen 316 which you could hang a damn battleship off of(and it's heavy as shit!!) But my first, what I'd call decent head and tripod was this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/834005-REG/Dracast_DVT_17_DVT_17_Video.html

I bought it from Samys right as they got it in and nobody knew anything about it. I'll tell you what, it's one hell of a nice setup for the money! I really can't believe how smooth it is. I originally used it on my HVX200 with a DTE attached so it can support a good amount of weight and it's actually used on about every shoot I go on for a B or C cam setup with another DSLR. All the reviews are amazing on it. I might downsize from my 316 but I'm never going to get rid of this little Dracast setup. It's pretty light and small but you still can't carry it off of a backpack. Actually, I just bought another head which has another name on it for my slider I loved it so much. I was going to buy the Monfrotto 710 but this little guy was half the price.

• @vicharris

You link is just to rebranded Weifeng 717 tripod :-) So, forget all this "Dracast" resellers.

• As for tripods

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussions/tagged/special-deals

Check three topics - Weifeng, NEST and Benro ones.

NEST has best photo-like legs and amazing manufacturing quality.
    Weifeng has both photo like carbon tripods and best under $700 video kits.
    Benro new models are also very cool.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Oh really? Cool. I didn't know. Oh I see it now. Well it does rock for the money whoever puts their name it!

• Thanks guys, this is what i ended up buying today on the budget I have/what the store had in stock.

Benro S2

Induro AT 114

I love the portability of this setup and it suits my needs as of yet entirely, got them both new today for 150$ total.

• @brant_moore

Hope you'll like it.

But I think it is always good idea to get best you can afford. Especially it concerns tripods used for video.

• ditto!

Cheap but good tripods don't exist. A cheap tripod is an oxymoron.

When somebody invents one you'll read about it here.

Despite this, there is still an endless supply of cheap but hopeful photographers buying rubbish from photo shopkeepers - who often only stock the rattly. wobbly, jerky pieces of embarrassment against their own better judgement.

Some cheap photographers are so cheap they continue to use the crap to turn out crap video and never even notice the jerks, wobbles and sqeaks.

For chrissakes. take your life seriously. Spend at least as much on a tripod as you do on your camera. Or more. Or a good, used one. It will last you your lifetime.

• @goanna I have no reason to justify why I couldn't spend $1000 on a tripod to you. I bought the absolute best I could afford at this time. Don't let my equipment speak for the work it helps produce. Let my work speak for itself.

• @brant_moore

I wasn't talking to you.

But, as it happens, you might have been doing a disservice to budding videographers in giving them the impression they can expect good results from a cheap tripod.

Still photo tripods have their own requirements but the cheap video tripod story has been done to death.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4669/velbon-c-400-tripod/p1

• I didn't make the name of this cheap photo tripod. It was changed.