Personal View site logo
Panasonic FZ200 topic, 24x zoom with constant F2.8 aperture
  • 350 Replies sorted by
  • Has anyone with an FZ200 tried the 35-100mm for zooming? I never thought I would encounter a manual zoom that I would use during filming. The 35-100mm hasn't changed my mind on that completely. However, it is so smooth and quiet that it makes it very tempting.

• If you can hear the sound of your breathing and the zoom at a wedding it must be a really boring one! the camera is what it is and it is pretty bloody good - I've had a quick look at the footage and I don't see any problem intercutting with the gh1 or 2, it's okay in low light, not fantastic but usable. I'll certainly have one with me at every wedding from now on - the ability to quickly more away from blocked position and grab the shot when I need to means it's a great backup camera for me - If Vitaliy can make any improvement, great but it's usefull right now

• @tired Do you have your contrast at -2 like me? The blacks seem emphasized to me. It is tough to grade in post, even with contrast set to -2 and i.Dynamic enabled (that only works outdoors when you have lots of ISO range available).

• Vitalyi - when do you expect to start hacking the FZ200?

Regards :)

• @wielkiczarnyafgan

I'll make topic in development, do not worry.

• I haven't made any adjustments yet - still using it in STD config. I want to really get used to what it looks like on the camera & in the edit before I start playing around with the image.

Another wedding and gave it another try - I can do a rack focus with the zoom lever now, bit of fiddling but it works. The IOS is really interesting, try shooting while walking down a flight of stairs - you can see the correction happening. will post some footage tomorrow

• there's a quick selection of shots

• You guys made me buy it... I will have my FZ200 shipped tomorrow. Tired - image in your clips looks very promising. Tell me please if FZ200 records sound while in 720p 120fps burst mode?

• No, high speed modes (120 and 240 fps) do not record sound.

• thanks for reply

• @tired

Thanks for the nice video. I also like the image quality.

• Vitaliy- Do you know if it would be possible to hack the FZ200 to display the live view on a remote monitor whilst recording video. Currently the display can be viewed remotely using the USB output, but the screen blanks as soon as the record button is pressed.

• Today I shot some short comparision ( random stuff on a street ) between GH2 with Cake v2.3 patch and FZ200, looks like factory FZ200 beats the GH2 in some aspects... I didn't expect it. The FZ200 is very very very good... I could say - beast!

Of course it's much worse in low light than GH2 ( due to 8times smaller sensor ) but I find ISO 1600 still usable, but anything over is awful noise...

• @wielkiczarnyafgan

Thanks for the video. The FZ200 looks much sharper than the GH2 in your video. Although I liked the GH2 image more don't really know why. I hope you don't mind, but I borrowed a screenshot of your video to put here so I can ask why the FZ200 stills make this ghost effect on moving subjects and not the GH2?

FZ200vsGH2.jpg
    1024 x 640 - 316K
  • The ghost effect is my faullt + I forgot to change field order of FZ200 ( both with the GH2 ) on the Vegas timeline, so the project preparation for render wasn't totally correct

• I had a quick test out of the FZ200 and wasnt impressed by the codec in general. The100fps mp4 mode rendered terrible macro blocking /artefacts and anything remotely dark / shadows didn't look good in the AVCHD modes.

• OK. Sooo... driftwood - Can this be fixed by hack?

• Honestly - I am little confused with the FZ200 macro mode - both auto and manual... :( I cannot achieve desired effects and I am sure I must be doing something wrong - even in the pdf manual there is not much about macro mode and can anyone explain it here?

Because it looks like FZ200 macro capabilities are limited... :(

• @driftwood

shadows didn't look good in the AVCHD modes

I only use AVCHD. Contrast is high in shadows. I have my film mode at Contrast=-2 to compensate. That does the job for me. I do have to force my reading codec into the 0-255 input mode, so there may also be some incorrect signalling of the 16-235 mode when the range is actually greater than that. I expand and trim the levels in Sony Vegas.

• In my opinion FZ200 in generall has more contrast, it's sharper, but provides less detailed image than GH2 - both set up to -2 -2 0 -2 setting

I need to test this but it seems that there are two most usable profile on FZ200: - "natural" and "standard".

The "natural" profile seem to show the most detail, but at the same time shows the biggest amount of noise ( the "Low Light 1250 ISO" test was shot with it [ sorry for weird W.B. ] ) - so it seems to be the best for outdoor shooting

On the other side the "standard" profile - which looks to have more contrast than "natural" but tends to show less noise when shooting with high ISO value... - maybe could be best for shoothing indors with high ISO?

I will try to shoot few scenes on monday to give you example.

And one more thing - the FZ200 image is very similar to those from GH2, so there will be no problem to combine them on the timeline - if someone plans to work on both.

What I like a lot in FZ200 is ISO 100 ;)

• @wielkiczarnyafgan - Thanks for this. I really had no idea there was a difference in the profiles, other than acting as placeholders for your own custom Contrast, NR, etc, settings. I have been using standard, and need to really take a closer look, as the high contrast of the "Standard" has been apparent in the videos I have been taking. Hmmm...

It looks as though "standard" and "custom" are basically the same. But I do like "natural," especially with contrast dropped to -1. Surprisingly, with the Creative Video "natural" profile I think -1,0,0,0 looks good to me. I can get rid of noise, and add contrast, in post. I need to do some test shooting and have a better look. Isn't it strange how moving NR from -2 to +2 in "natural" doesn't make noticeable difference to the noise?

My LX7 behaves the same way...

• In GH1 and GH2 changing NR from -2 to +2 makes no difference ( or almost no difference ) , so I think FZ200 behaves the same way.