Personal View site logo
Camtree Car Camera Mount
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • @vicarris it don't look too back if you ask me. Yes it's a bit shaky but not bad. I think the problem is as explain on filmtools.com there's some vibration on the camera itself. To overcome or minimize it, you have to add another leg and suction cup to hold the camera from the flash mount. https://vimeo.com/ 41523045 I'm really looking for a good cheap car mount, shooting short with mostly cars.

• I'll post some info on the setup and what I think so far in a little bit. Just wanted to get the video up.

• @vicharris, can you post up some stuff we can see how it from bad to good if you do get it good. I myself was looking into buying one too but wasn't sure if will work for what I wanted to do with it. I was considering the mathews pro mount but at it's price, I'm trying to see if I can find a cheap and better option. Anybody familiar with mathews mounts?

• Unless you're going full out with a proper grip kit and the correct shock-absorbing mounting plate like the pros use, the suction cup method will never give you smooth footage. You're better off just going with the Delkin FatGecko mount and saving yourself the money.

• So far, still trying to get a good, stable shot from a non Mega IOS Lens. On my 14-140 during the day it looks pretty good but I never liked the image from that lens. I've tried a Rokinon 24 and 35 mm and I can get a few clean seconds here and there but nothing you could have a convo back and forth and edit together. I'm going to try a new arraignment of grips and see if it works. I have footage but don't want to post anything until I think its suitable for use. So, so far, not looking too good. BTW, I've been doing my tests with a VW Jetta TDI so it's a pretty smooth riding vehicle. If people want, I'll throw something up but I'm still not going to suggest it just yet.

• This looks like a mount-only solution; good for mounting a camera onto a car without spoiling the car in any way.

For this, it's probably a good solution but I wouldn't expect any shock-absorbing characteristics. At best, it should be expected to stick without slipping and not induce any vibration of its own.

More complex, (e.g. helicopter mounts) can be heavier and are designed to steadicam their way over bumps. [Heavy camera mount says to car, "What, you're going down into that pot-hole and bouncing up again? Then I'll just wait wait here for you to get back."]

• @mrbill Nope, the camera was just on some weird settings. It was supposed to be 24P at 50 but somehow I had it switched to HBR and the shutter was at 50. That's all. It was terrible but the rig wasn't locked down tight enough so it was bouncing all over the place. I went out last night so I'm transcoding a crap load of footage now. Alot of it looks too bad to use. Really shaky. Like I said, you need a really smooth road so I drove around for awhile trying to get some usable stuff. I'm going to try to put together a little something so you're not just watching my goofy ass drive around Culver City for a couple minutes.

• This looks like a great rig - shame we get shafted in the UK again though price-wise. Don't quite understand what you mean by HBR and shutter speed at 50 though - are you trying to shoot NTSC?

• Ok, first test kind of a fail. The camera was on HBR with the shutter at 50. So yeah, it looks like shit and I don't think I had the rig cranked down enough. So I'll back out tonight and try it again. Regardless, it looks like you might need really smooth roads to get usable footage but that might go without saying. A lens with IS would be great and my only one is the 14-140 but it's not the best in car but I'll give it a try.

• Very cool! I've been looking for an upgrade from the sticky pod that is affordable.