Personal View site logo
Nikon D5200 topic

Nikon introduces the latest D-SLR to its mid-range DX-format line-up, the 24.1 megapixel Nikon D5200, designed to bring out your creative side. From beautiful still photos to smooth Full HD movies, this camera empowers your freedom of expression, letting you capture your own unique view of the world.

• 24.1 megapixel CMOS image sensor
    • Vari-angle LCD monitor: View life at a unique angle with a high resolution, 7.5cm (3.0-in), 921k dot vari-angle screen
    • ireless Mobile Adaptor WU-1a can transmit images from the camera to Apple™ or Android™ smart device and remote shooting*1
    • High ISO (100-6400) extendable to 25600
    • 39-point AF system with nine cross-type sensors in the center.
    • 2016 pixel RGB metering sensor
    • Scene Recognition System optimizes exposure, autofocus and white balance
    • Continuous shooting at 5fps
    • High dynamic range (HDR)
    • Active D-Lighting
    • Full (1080p) HD movies with smooth (up to 60i/50i) recording and a built-in stereo microphone (AF works, but slow as hell)

Available at:

Press release

Breath-taking image quality

The third camera in its series, following the D5000 and the D5100, the Nikon D5200 offers a massive leap in image-quality. In addition to the 24.1-megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor for finely detailed images, the new EXPEED 3 image processor provides high-speed operation and excellent, rich colour reproduction – as well as enhanced movie recording. The high ISO sensitivity (100-6400 which is extendable to 25600) delivers brilliant shots in dark or poorly lit environments as well as producing clear images of fast moving subjects.

The Nikon D5200 shares an AF system, metering sensor and scene recognition with the Nikon D7000 series, giving this camera a new level of performance and much enhanced image quality. The superior accuracy of the 39-point AF system and nine cross-type sensors delivers razor sharp images by focusing precisely on the subject you choose. Meanwhile, the 2,016-pixel RGB metering sensor provides precise data to the camera’s Scene Recognition System, which optimizes exposure, autofocus and white balance immediately before the shutter is released.

Image creations from any angle

The Nikon D5200’s versatile 7.5cm (3-in) vari-angle LCD monitor provides the ultimate freedom and flexibility to take beautiful shots and movies from virtually any position. You can flip, tilt or turn the swivel monitor to get really creative with your angles. In addition, the Nikon D5200 is an intelligently designed lightweight camera, with clear menus and superior ergonomics, making it a pleasure to maneuver and shoot with.

Wireless connectivity to share your creations

Wirelessly transmitting images from your camera to an Apple™ or Android™ smart device is possible by using the optional WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter. This means you can share images that you are proud of with friends via social networks and email for instant reactions. It is even possible to control your camera remotely from your smart device to help you take beautiful shots without disturbing your subjects.

Distinctive HD movies

Effortlessly alternate between shooting stills and Full HD movies with smooth (up to 60i/50i) recording at the flick of a switch. The camera’s subject tracking of moving objects in three dimensions, with full time servo AF (AF-F), ensures focus of moving objects throughout filming. Adding to that, creating movies to be proud of can be achieved with in-movie editing and the camera’s built-in stereo microphone.

Inspirational Effect and Scene modes

Be even more original with the Nikon D5200 Effects mode. A range of seven special effects: Selective Colour, Miniature, High and Low Key, Silhouette, Colour Sketch and Night Vision can be applied in real time to images and movies through Live View so you can see what your final creation will look like before you shoot it. In addition, in-camera High Dynamic Range (HDR) and D-lighting capture detailed images of high-contrast scenes, increasing creative possibilities. You can also select from 16 different Scene modes – they optimize the camera settings, such as shutter speed, ISO and aperture – to the situation you are shooting. It is great for a quick shot or if you are still learning about D-SLR photography.

• 651 Replies sorted by
  • The D5200 combines the D5100's swivel screen with the D3200's 24Mpix sensor and the D7000's light and focus metering systems. This gives it a max still-frame resolution of 6000x4000 on a 14-bit APS-C sensor (1.5x crop factor).

It remains to be seen, however, whether boosting the D5100's 16Mpix sensor to the D5200's 24Mpix will boost high-ISO noise and reduce dynamic range as well. DPReview's RAW noise tests show the 24Mpix D3200 to be noticeably noisier than the D5100:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5100/12

The D5200's new high-resolution sensor should definitely have an effect on its video image quality as well. If that turns out to be a negative effect, particularly in aliasing artifacts, the inevitable price reductions on the D5100 will make it a terrific bargain for a 14-bit APS-C hybrid stills/video camera.

• The Nikon D5200 is not going to be available in the US till January 2013.

Via NikonRumors

Seems like fun.

• Hmm...Red and Poop Brown...

Just a step away from Pink and I would have bought one.

• Im wonder if live-view is improved.. btw. waiting for d7100 which will be in GH3 price range.

• True 1080i. Won't that be lovely?

• Have Nikon solved the morie-aliasing issues of dslr? I struggle to see it here:

and here;

• The rolling shutter and skew/codec seem good, well from what one can tell from youtube?

• More samples of a very impressive camera?

• Nikon, have minimised morie-colour banding and the detail and codec look impressive.

• @VK, They thought the video was poor! from what I can tell its excellent? maybe good and bad copies of the d5200?

• The Pocket Lint review raises a viewfinder focusing issue that I had a related experience with. I have a Nikon D5100 camera and a Sigma 28mm f1.8 lens that works beautifully with it. Another Nikon shooter tried this lens with his D7000 and had the same focusing issues described in the following article:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/49243/nikon-d5200-sharpness-issues-mirror-slap-autofocus-system-d7000-error

So the speculation is the problem may be in the 39-point autofocus system shared by the D7000 and D5200, but not the D5100.

The other major difference between D5xxx models is the 16Mpix sensor in the D5100 versus the 24Mpix sensor in the D5200. While they both seem to offer very broad dynamic ranges, I have not seen the kind of high-ISO banding issues on the D5100 that the article pointed out in the D5200. The increased pixel resolution of the D5200 must also produce very different video moire patterns, which Nikons are more susceptible to than Panasonic cameras.

My take is that if I wanted 24Mpix resolution for still photography, I wouldn't settle for an APS-C sensor, I'd wait for Nikon to fix the problems with the D600. In the meantime, current sale prices on the D5100 make it an outrageous bargain for a 16Mpix Nikon with a 14-bit RAW sensor and a swiveling LCD screen.

• Yes, the d5100 is a bragain, relatively speaking, but d5200 looks as if it in another league, relatively speaking ;-)

• Look at colour striping-alaising-moirie of d600? yuk. d5200 is far far superior than d600 for video.

• @adventsam

d5200 is far far superior than d600 for video.

And you're making this claim based on a comparison of YouTube videos?

• If the d600 goes into meltdown whenever it sees a few horizontal or straight lines then it ain't much use? My point is from what I can tell the new Toshiba sensor doesnt' suffer ailiasing-moirie like the Sony sensor has been prone too in every other dslr except Canon, who have sort of fixed it in the 5dmk3, but Canon is SOFT as xxxx image. If people want an organic-filmic flat image then this seems to be going in the right direction, that's all, but I think yes based on youtube I wouldn't go near the d600 with a barge pole, wheras the d5200 looks like a contender, Sony have a bit of comeptition brewing and Canon might be wise to take a look too at Toshiba and move away from their legacy sensors?

• LOL, seems I'm not blind, well LPowell? by the way Voldemort has copied my thoughts from this thread!!!!!!!!!! http://www.eoshd.com/content/9586/is-the-cheap-nikon-d5200-a-better-option-than-d800-for-video-no-moire-aliasing-and-good-detail

• @adventsam

...by the way eoshd has copied my thoughts from this thread!

LOL, I rest my case.

• Yes indeed ;-) well he has a copy, looking forward to his results whichever way it falls, new entrants and technology that pushes things forward is good, no? seems you have gone all negative LPowell, remember those heady days of the GH1 and 2 hacks, well maybe its time to look at a Nikon hack? be a nice change.

• Also, did you see this? http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Nikon-D5200-New-sensor-and-new-leader Ranked 11th best camera regardless of sensor size!(for stills, based on raw sensor dr/noise/colour depth measurements) the best Canon is 15th, FF.

• @adventsam The bottom line for me is what the D5200's shadow noise looks like at ISO 6400. At that gain level, the D5100's RAW images are quite usable, but look better when cleaned up with Neat Video. DxOMark's tests show closely matched signal-to-noise ratios between the D5200 and D5100 across most of their ISO ranges. What concerns me are reports that the D5200's new sensor suffers from perceptible banding and/or fixed pattern noise at high ISO's. If so, that would negate the D5200's half-stop edge in dynamic range over the D5100.

• Have you seen any other dslr this sharp and no moire? download the original!