Personal View site logo
Wireless lavalier mic
  • Could you please recommend a cheap and best wireless lav mic to use with the zoom h4n as i will be shooting a docu soon.
    I have got the Rode NTG2 however most of the time i have got to operate the camera and the sound by my self.
    Any tips?
    thank you so much , all of you.
  • 51 Replies sorted by
  • Cheap and good wireless mike normally do not go together. :-)
  • ok, in which price range we get acceptable (is relative) quality? you know what i mean?
    And then which one? thanx
  • I did a comparison between the Sennheiser ME2 lavalier mic which is around $140 and the $25,- omnidirectional Giant Squid mic. With the Zoom H4N, by the way. It's a very decent mic and at 25,- it's a very good deal. You can see/hear it here:

• @flowolf

Just insert vimeo video URL, do not past embed code.
  • Sennheiser G3 is a great choice.
  • Cheap, Simple/Efficient, Quality -- Choose any two. Make this your mantra.

Obviously, you're going to have to make compromises depending on how cheap you want to go. If you want cheap AND high quality, you'll have expect that it won't be the simplest or most efficient solution.

Zoom H1 ($100) w/Audio Technica ATR-3350 ($20) lav mic can be used as a "cheap and wireless" setup. Clip the mic to the talent, hit record on the H1, and put it in their pocket. The main compromises here are that you won't be able to monitor your sound and you'll have to sync it in post.

The Sennheiser G3 ($600) is considered cheap compared to the Lectrosonics 400 ($2500), and there are definitely compromises to support the price differences.

However, when it comes to wireless, go to cheap and you'll be in a world of pain. Basically, don't get any VHF systems because they are way more prone to interference and will just not give you consistent audio.

Maybe you could have a look at the Sony UWP-V1 ($450) which is probably one of the cheapest UHF setups that still has good quality (especially its distance).

Then again, I've heard that the Sony has a MINIMUM transmitting distance so it is not ideal for small spaces. Again, compromises.

Just a thought, but if you're doing sit down interviews, then you could just get a mic stand and position the NTG2 near the talent while you shoot. This would be the cheapest solution by far and would yield fairly good results as the NTG2 is a good mic.
  • @Jive: Zoom H1 ($100) w/Audio Technica ATR-3350 ($20)

i dit exactly that and so far its great! h1 auto leveling is not bad! No monitoring necessary for Documentary, interview, etc! Plus: If you can afford PluralEyes, syncing is no nightmare anymore!
  • Could the Technica ATR-3350 be concealed under clothing, if not which reasonably priced lav mic could?
  • thanks
    sounds that i am going to try the H1 variation , as i have got h2 lying around.
    As a backup and alternative i will find- as jive mentioned above- a mic stand for the NTG2 and the H4n in 4 channel mode.

The NTG2 pluged with an XLR into the H4n, the sound seems very soft even if i turn the level to 100. Any experience to share?

• I've found that using an NTG2 indoors generally produces poor results (at least in my limited experience). Sounds like we're in a gym most of the time. It's kick ass outdoors though on a boom. Generally use a Rode NT3 inside hooked up to a Tascam DR-100 and it works perfect for my feeble needs (VO and interview 50/50). Is there some trick to getting clean sound from an NTG2 inside? Just recently started looking into the wireless lav setups. Is the G2 system still ok? Thought I read somewhere that the frequency it operated on was no longer usable in the USA?
  • My budget lavalier mic vote goes to the new Rode Lavalier which can be had for $250. You can get a Micon connector for the XLR or 3.5" input to your H4N. http://www.dvestore.com/news/5/RODE-Lavalier.html
  • @ikoniq

It is not wireless :-)
  • @Vitaliy - oops, haha, true!

@Bartholomeo its only a lavalier mic, sorry for any confusion, you'd need a wireless transmitter/receiver for it to work. For what its worth, I still run Sennheiser G2 wireless units which can be had used for $300-350 these days.
  • You could try thinking outside the box:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--SHUPG14PG185

Photobucket

You could power the receiver with a portable battery I guess. You'd also need to find a way to attach it to yourself or your rig which shouldn't be hard. It's a bit bulky but gets the job done and has good range up to 250ft.

Power Requirements supplied by external power supply
    PG4: 12–18 Vdc at 160 mA
  • AKG C417 cheap ($99 on ebay) and excellent.

• @Aria I just bought one of those Shure lavaliers, we'll see how well it works. I really like how Shure offers a wireless vocal mic and headset that are compatible with the same receiver. You can also record an electric guitar just by plugging a cord into the lavalier's body pack.

• Sennheiser G3. Don't buy anything less than at. Something like a countryman emw is a great cheap starter mic. I use dpa 4061's now as my standard. If you can though just go with an XLR in rather than wirelesss.

• +1 for the G3's, I have 2 lavaliers and 1 handheld.
    I've used them 3 or 4 times a month for 18months, mostly for conference/lectures at busy venues.
    The only hiccup I've ever had is the mute button on the transmitter has occasionally been pressed.
    The omni is better general purpose bet than the uni.

• Another vote for the Sennheiser G3. However the ME2 omni lavalier that comes with the G3 is pretty average. I ended up getting a Rode PinMic which is excellent and has a nice solid low end. Also considering the Rode Lavalier as well it is supposed to be very close to the PinMic sound wise.

• Azden WMS-Pro kit is a good choice. Cheap wireless system, good sound quality. It has phone out in receiver so you can monitoring the audio. Sometimes (few times and no sound cut) it gives a slight interference in transmission but nothing bad and can be corrected changing camera position (you hear in the phones). I like it a lot.

• @apefos Are you able to get good sound out of those? I tired with 2 sets and I thought they made better candy boxes than audio. I could never get anything close to usable outside. Hit's and pops every few seconds no matter where I went. Bought some $600 Sony sets and they beyond rock!!

• @vicharris Its not perfect as I said. But it works. Need to pay attention in the phones to avoid noise, but the noise just appears occasionally, noise is small and disappears when change camera position (receiver position). Works ok in small distances without obstacles. It worked inside a room with door and window closed also. I tested it 100 feet away and it works, but I use it 30 feet maximum distance.

• Also be careful as to the frequency range. The UK is currently changing all of its radio mic frequencies from the 800MHz range to the 600MHz range. This means that there is a lot of cheap 800Meg gear around but it isn't licensable, and with the new 4G Mobile Phone auctions just a few weeks away and DSO nearly complete, the 800Meg portion of the spectrum will start to get very crowded as this is the frequency range that the 4G networks will be using.

• Received the Shure Performance Gear Wireless Lavalier system today. I'll write a review on it soon. My first impression is that I like the receiver's light weight and lack of external antennas. It's a little bulky though, and requires an external 12v power supply.