Personal View site logo
Sony F55 - Global Shutter, 4K raw (internal) 180fps
  • 89 Replies sorted by
  • I continue to see these price projection everywhere, even in Europe. Some suggestions?

From: http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/techfacils/resellers-snap-up-4k-sony-cameras/5049124.article

"European prices for the cameras have not been announced, but a conversion of suggested retail prices released by Sony Japan indicates the F55 will cost around £22,3500 (¥2,887,500) and the F5 approximately £13,400 (¥1,732,500)."

Both cameras are expected to ship early next year."

• @B3Guy

The forecasted pricing screams "rental". The houses will love them, as I'm sure they trust Sony's customer support.

Absolutely. Reliability is a strong selling point.

I kinda like the idea of a separate but close-mating 4K recorder, because you can own the base camera for less, and rent the 4K add-on unit as needed on a per-project basis.

Yeah, it´s the right move IMO. Great to have the same possibility (although wired) with the fs700, too.

Now I just want to see some moving images from this baby!

• I kinda like the idea of a separate but close-mating 4K recorder, because you can own the base camera for less, and rent the 4K add-on unit as needed on a per-project basis.

• Audio module

sony_f.jpg
    800 x 390 - 81K
    sony_f1.jpg
    800 x 499 - 102K

sony_f6.jpg
    677 x 263 - 38K
    sony_f7.jpg
    675 x 522 - 93K
  • I think to really be competitive, not just for the release, but for the next few years... these really need to be priced in the ball-parks of $5k and $10k respectively.

I'm not sure about where to place Epic's new price... but for Red to be competitive, even with other cams like the BMC, Scarlet needs to go down to about $5k.

• come on RED, come back with the huge discounts please!!

• Voldemort quoted the F5 at $15K to compete with the C300 market and the F55 at $25k plus extras, if this pricing is correct then these cameras will certainly set a new benchmark for price/features. The F5 kitted up will be in same price range as Red Scarlet package.

• I second @Vitaliy_Kiselev

These (F55 especially) are going to dominate the rental market if other manufacturers are not proactive. If they do what Sony claims they can, they're near perfect, which is tough to beat. The forecasted pricing screams "rental". The houses will love them, as I'm sure they trust Sony's customer support.

• @truestory

Very important is how SD card speed will be progressing. As it could be that within 2 years we'll see raw camera that writes to one of two SD cards. Also 1.8" SSD market is growing fast.

• JVC also have a new full frame high end camera coming December, this will give us a great selection of tools to choose from. From a production POV, I am looking to upgrade my current cameras which have served me well. I will be purchasing a GH3, BMCC, and F5 complete, this will give me a camera for every situation I require and is extremely cheap when you consider the price of high end cameras >3 years ago.

The F5 is extremely versatile and being modular it will not become obsolete overnight. I do love RED camera, but seriously they will fade away within 2-3 years as all the major players start to roll out 4K/5K/8K cameras way cheaper with superior options to what RED can produce.

How many of you still have a 35mm letus/Red Rock adaptor sitting on the shelf, I must have spent over 10k on this technology trying to get the DOF look, now I can buy a BMCC/ Scarlet plus extras for this. The game is about to change very quickly so anyone thinking of taking a mortgage for a RED Epic/scarlet package needs to really do there homework..

• It'll be really big hit on RED, as they have many cameras owned by rental houses ot cameras that had beep bought and later rentend. Such competition means that they can lost big part of this market,

• @flaschus the BMD has RAW recording in 24/25/30p with a small sensor. - that's it. And also I would suspect that we will see these Sonys recording when most of the people are waiting for their preordered BMD cams.

• @flaschus different entities, no? Both gives raw, that much is true. However, you get 4k and a bunch of additional options with these Sony cams. f55 is a 14 stop cam with global shutter, mind, first of it´s kind I believe? It really pushes the envelope when it comes to the elusive global shutter and dynamic range.

• what about this versus the upcoming BMCC???

• @Brian202020 someone close to Sony told me that the updates would be free. The external recorder is something else.

• Makes one think that Sony has all this technology planned/developed but are holding onto it and only releasing it when they please, or when they need to counter another manufacturers product. I guess they all do that to some extent, pretty smart business practice.

• Remember, there is also the 4k RAW upgrade for fs700 coming out.. including a recorder for 2k$. So that´s the product which competes at the price point of scarlet and "canon cinema".

I´d be very happy to rent an f55 with recorder.

• Now I get why Red drops Epic and Scarlet price from November 1st. I thought it was because of BMCC. Not only. The competition is becoming tight. That's a good news. But even better is that The Holy Global Shutter is finally coming. That's major. The only question is how long it will take for it to shed its divine light onto the prosumer/consumer market?

GLOW-BALL SHUT-TAR! HELL YEAH!

• @peaceonearth

You are correct, I sometimes forget they still make camera's that are 420, so I forgot the GH3 and GH2 were only 420. Regardless XDCAMHD50 422 in my opinion is too compressed. I personally believe the most compressed codec on any camera should be 100mbps 422, and that should be used for events and stuff like that. Anything more serious should be in the ball park of 200mbps and up in RGB or 100mbps and up in RAW.