Personal View site logo
35-100mm F2 Olympus 43 lens
  • When putting on lens and powering camera I get "Please check that the lens is attached correctly." I put the recommended lens firmware on the card as usual but when I pres play I get "No valid picture to play" instead of being prompted to load the firmware. What am I missing? Could it be because I am no longer running the original camera firmware? I get the same message when I try to restore it but can restore an unaltered copy saved through ptool. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
  • 24 Replies sorted by
  • Have you selected "Shoot without lens" in the camera settings?
  • Tried it both ways on 2 different bodies. Same behavior.
  • Make sure the lens is properly seated on both the adapter and the camera. It can appear to be attached, but if it's not fully clicked into place, the camera will not recognize it.
  • I tried that numerous times on both bodies. It click firmly both to the adapter and to the body.
    Thanks
  • I can intermittently get an image to appear by pressing the release button on the adapter but no focus of any kind and no firmware load.
  • Sounds like the adapter to me. Can you clean off contact points with a cotton swap / isopropyl i.e. rubbing alcohol?
  • That got rid of the errors with shoot without lens on. Still no focus response or ability to lead lens firmware of original firmware.
  • Resolved. In case someone else has this problem, panasonic tech support had no idea. Olympus support worked on this for quite a while but did not come up with a solution. Since the gh2 could not even see the new lens firmware, I bought an Olympus on eBay, used their updater and everything works.

The quality of the image is incredible. So is the size of the lens.
  • @Jspatz

In no way Panasonic camera can upgrade firmware of Olympus lens.
  • The panasonic website gives elaborate instructions on exactly how to do that, including a table where you choose panasonic body with Olympus lens. However my experience agrees with you.
  • @Jspatz

Find anyone with Olympus body or go to shop and say that you have pricey lens and want to test new body you want to buy with it :-)
  • I upgraded my Olympus 14-35 F2.0 with my Gh1(3) with no problem. Just download the right version of upgrade an make sure your battery is full charged ;-)

PS: 14-35 and 35-100 are very nice lenses - a bit heavy but nice IQ :-)
  • I'm thinking of selling my Olympus 35-100mm f2.0, with Olympus lens hood, tripod mount, front and rear caps. Excellent condition, no cosmetic wear except a bit of chrome on the lens mount. $1500 via Paypal, with free shipping in a vintage hard-shell Canon lens case. SOLD!
  • @LPowell

How heavy is that beast? Does it AF with the GH2 for stills and video?
  • It's 1800gm, not bad once you get used to it. Balance is very good since the outer barrel neither extends nor rotates. On the GH2 it auto-focuses in AFS mode for both stills and video.
  • Focus is a bit slow but positive. Does not hunt forever like the 14-50 2.8-3.5 leica.
  • Why are you selling this fantastic lens LPowell?

(I would by it as it will be perfect to have them both, but...my bank account says "No!" :-(
  • When I bought the Olympus 35-100mm f2, I was planning on using it with an AF100. At the time, I expected the AF100 would inherit the GH2's extensive support for legacy Four Thirds lenses, and add remote iris and focus control as well. Unfortunately, the AF100 doesn't even work as well as the GH1 does with legacy lenses, and we're still waiting on Birger to come through with the automation features it lacks.

That said, the 35-100mm is still a fabulous lens, unmatched by any other zoom in low-light conditions at those focal lengths. It autofocuses reliably with the GH2, and works smoothly in manual mode with the GH1 as well. One thing it does not work so well with, however, is handheld or on a shoulder mount, which is where my current projects are leading.
  • Ok, I can see the problems when trying to shoot on the run with on of these lenses - they are a bit heavy;-)

I will be using my 14-35 on a GH13 all put on a steadycam I'm just DIY-ing right now, hopefully it will work with such a big piece of glas.

LPowell - just out of curiousity - are those really expensive professionel prime lenses (like the Zeiss CP, Cookin,..) lighter than the two Olympus zooms? They look about the same size as my 14-35 and are also a big chunk of glas.
  • Should I get the Olympus 35-100mm f2.0, or get the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8, and then get the Metabones speedbooster for the Tamron to change it to 50mm-140mm f2.0 (35mm equivalent). (I assume the speedbooster wouldn't work on the Olympus because it is a four thirds lens, right?)

So, on the GH2, effectively, I would have the Olympus at 70-200mm or the Tamron at 100mm-280mm.

I would use if for wedding videography, always on a tripod, with a rig that would have lens support. Focus by wire is not a problem for me. I don't necessarily need a Matte Box or Follow Focus.

Seems like the Tamron would be a better value, assuming the speedbooster works. That would be a total of around $1500 new. Whereas, the Olympus is $2600. Also I think the extra reach on the Tamron (with speedbooster, up to 140mm, or 280mm on m43) would be a bigger advantage for me than the wider view of the Olympus (at 35mm, or 70mm on m43). But would image quality suffer too much with the speedbooster?

Thanks for your help.

• Like LPowell, I too am thinking of selling my Olympus 35-100mm. Didn't know the manual focusing actually uses a transmission motor, so it is not completely mechanical focusing, which kind of defeats the idea of true manual focus with helicoil smoothness. Plus the focus ring needs camera power to work! Interested buyers can look in Marketplace for it!

• Insane price for such a great lens. That and it's 14-35 sibling are optically equivalent to a set of very high quality primes; sharp edge-to-edge wide open. I'm surprised no one has thought of rehousing them as cinema lenses.