Personal View site logo
In-Camera Creation or Post Mastering - Color, Lighting, Etc.
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • I might have just looked at it all too long. Here's the crushing I'm talking about. Lit for a 4:1 ratio, crushed to about 6:1.

Screen Shot 2012-10-21 at 8.12.53 PM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    Screen Shot 2012-10-21 at 8.12.09 PM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
  • @stonebat - I should have been more clear, I meant contrast in lighting. Lighting a 2:1 or a 4:1 ratio and crushing in post to something darker.

• I thought Gh2's film mode's "Contrast" setting is nothing to do with dynamic range. Doesn't it affect only color contrast?

• @shian is definitely going to recommend getting it all in a certain stop ranger and adjusting in post. @matt_gh2 I feel some of the stuff I work with has a false sense of latitude. That might be the 8bit colour space but I'm nost rue

• @artiswar Interesting question that I'm also interested in hearing the answer/opinions on. What did you mean when saying "but for the finer things it's kinda fallen apart"? I saw some of the frame grabs you posted and I thought they looked great. I was viewing on 15" MacBook Pro (1440x900 Res), so maybe you're viewing on larger ~60" HDTV screen, or on a large screen in theater. Do you mean details in close-up shots?

I would guess @shian has knowledge of this issue.

@shian Any opinion or preference on what's the best way to shoot and edit in terms of this issue?