Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 2
  • 1024 Replies sorted by
  • Shop in Switzerland say, they deliver within 4-6 days at price of 2'400 $ or 1'800 Euro (2'199 Swiss Francs) with 14-140mm! I post link, admin can remove link if its not ok. http://www.nettoshop.ch/product_info.php?pName=panasonic-dmcgh3-kit-g-vario-14140mm-p-27089

• Body only is 1325 usd for people who can deduct their VAT, at cyberphoto.se (2431usd / 1866euro for body + 12-35).. I have a preorder for it, so I´ll try it out as soon as they have it in stock.

• @amateur, thanks!

The second video looks worse than it should because of the frame blending, but it's still pretty bad. Seems strange that Panasonic may not have realized the GH2 was popular for video because it was the only DSLR type camera not to produce aliased video. High bit rates are nice, but it doesn't matter how many bits are used if the image is crappy before encoding.

It's more likely they realized, but an improved sensor for photography took precedence over the video issues.

Still, it's disappointing.

• @amateur Well, there are some shots in that comparison where I wish the settings were more clearly labeled but these are certainly some of the first head-to-head comparisons that show something.

Assuming that the settings for the "no gain" and "gain" examples were similar between both cameras (which I had some trouble inferring), then it is interesting to note that the dynamic range of the GH3 extends further into both the shadows and highlights than the GH2, both with and without gain. The GH3 also seems to be losing less detail to noise or denoising, with the pattern in the shadows and noise appearing finer and the more neutral in color.

However, not having read the surrounding thread (only having looked through all the pictures) it is difficult to know how similar/different the settings were for that part and whether the GH2 was shooting factory settings or with up-to-date high detail hacked ones.

I wonder how NBC would feel about that. ;)

Update: Also, according to Julian in the above thread, EX/ETC mode does not work in some modes but not I-Frame only mode or at 1080 50P. Interesting.

• wow...the moire on the shed. and "anti moire test"? is that a mode or filter?

• While I'm not surprised panasonic didn't send gh3 to Voldemort to test out on his own accord, I can't believe they're allowing these bumbling idiots to post video footage that looks this atrocious.

Pana marketing really, REALLY needs to step up their game

"Creative photo filters also available for video" Most painful thing i've ever read.

Someone send seb farges a gh3. Please.

• *The GH3 abandons the multi aspect ratio sensor used in the GH2 in order to improve image quality according to Mr. Drawert

what? GH3 have so much moire that it could be worse? or it will reduce moire, im confused :s

• I have a hard time believing this is the output of the GH3. Also why is there so much ghosting? Why shot at 50i? How was it edited and compressed? Even the Photographyblog footage was much better. Why would Panasonic go to this much trouble creating a proper hybrid with the high bitrate, headphone, etc. and mess up with the aliasing and moire? Still skeptical. Awaiting real test footage. And firmware 1.0.

• Also, they're always testing the GH3 with the 12-35mm when the bad moire and aliasing occurs.

• @christianhubbard this is not promo video and Im glad it shoes what is to improve... I think

• dear lord... absolutely atrocious moire (Maaswinkel's video!) is killing this camera for me.

• I'd really prefer GH2.5.

• I'm really worried that the GH3 is going to be a big disappointment just like the Canon 5D MKIII. Will the photography side of the GH3 really be able to compete with the likes of the Canon and be used for professional photography jobs. There is a good review comparing the canon 70-200 f2.8 lens and the Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 lens http://translate.google.es/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dslrmagazine.com%2Fpruebas%2Fpruebas-tecnicas%2Fdesafio-70-200-mm.html&act=url

• @thougts2uk With the 5D MKIII, they removed the aliasing and moire, but making the image really soft. If we believe these "tests", the GH3 will add aliasing and moire, and make the image really "sharp". Nah, I'm still hoping for the best, hoping it's a problem with the 12-35mm lens, and firmware will resolve the issues. Because, why would their downscaling now suddenly become worse?

• @thougts2uk

We have topic for this lens, and it is much more proper way to post.

• @act with the current hack developed courtesy of VK driftwood.... we're currently on GH2.9 lol I Still have no clue what Pana marketing is doing with these releases and what the hell is going on with GH3. This time round the GH3 looks to be a great stills cam, but the video seems to be a let down!!! At that price point if moire is that present in final firmware might just as well go fullframe!!!

• Moire test : GH3 vs OM-D :

*Did my best to fit to same area

now all you have to do is to open them two in different tab and size down your navigator window, then just press right or left from your keyboard to see the moire difference

(GOOGLE CHROME ELIMINATES automatically MOIRE FROM PICTURES) (FIREFOX DOES NOT *or you can simply download them and do the comparaison)

This comparaison is not 100% precise

gh3.png
    1366 x 768 - 2M
    om-d.png
    1366 x 768 - 2M
    moire.png
    988 x 348 - 351K
  • @amateur

Are these stills from video? The moire looks the same to me. I don't see any in the first two pictures.

• from http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-e-m5-vs-panasonic-lumix-gh3-20497

100% croped sample iso 200. it looks same but less aliaising on gh3.

@mpgxsvcd when you reduce it you see who got true resolution or not

just tried to do the same process on gh2 but no moire, simply because it cant catch the bag's details... so gh2 should have fake resolution like people were talking about the GH2 and Red epic war?

gh2.png
    1366 x 768 - 2M
  • IF this camera turns out to be a bit moire city, I wonder if it is possible someone will design an aliasing filtre for it like what the 5D/D800 got. Either way I am looking forward to some proper hands on stuff.

• Despite the Moire, i'm encouraged by some of the things i'm seeing in comparison to the GH2 in terms of Rez, DR and Color. I think my biggest concern is how hard it would be to match footage, cuz I think i'd end up using both a GH3 for some things and a GH2 for others.

• For all the 10-bit desperados out there this article might be of some consolation:

http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/156-8-bit-or-10-bit-the-truth-may-surprise-you

My apologies in advance if this has already been posted/discussed ad infinitum, I can't keep up...

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions