Personal View site logo
What is the best portrait lens for m43
  • What is the best portrait lens for Gh1 - 2 ?

• 20 Replies sorted by
  • Depends on what kind of protrait you have in mind. How tight should the framing be?

• General info 85-105mm best portrait lens for Full Frame sensors. Ok; what is best portrait lens for m43? (in all dof ..) Example framing 16:9

• I use contax zeiss c/y 50mm f1.7 for all my interviews - great glass

• imageimage

Simply georgous portrait-size stills and video on GH2. IMO, better than Samyang because it's M4/3 and auto.

I paid $AUD309.00 on eBay

• Rokinon/Samyang 85mm 1.4 is pretty damn good and the Cine version comes out soon. I also use an old Nikon 105mm 2.8 AIS that's nice too. I like to be kind of far from the interview subject so the don't feel crowded or overwhelmed by the lens. Most people don't like having glass pushed up in their face.

• Ditto on what goanna posted, awesome lens.

• If a macro on facial parts is needed, Leica 45mm 2.8 lens is the way to go. It's a decent portrait lens too. If no macro, the 45mm 1.8 is highly recommended. Of course 75mm 1.8 would be more stunning but more pricey.

• I love my Pentax SMC Super-Takumar 55mm f/2. It has a lot of character.

• Helios 44m has a creamy way it handles textures/skin tones. It gives a warmth to the subject that is caring and the 58mm focal length is perfect for portraits with the right amount of bokeh.

• I'm gonna vote for the Takumar 50mm f/1.4. The bokeh is just butter.

• Either Contax Zeiss 60mm Makro-Planar, or 85mm f1.4. When you see the rendition of colours, you'll understand why the lenses are so expensive.

• Of all my lenses, the Olly 45 is the best, along with my Rollei box camera which I haven't figgered out how to put on the m43. Rokkor 58 has a nice blur, if that is what you want, and there's quite a few legacy 50mm that become great portrait lenses, cheap as chips. But I still prefer the Olly 45.

• General info 85-105mm best portrait lens for Full Frame sensors.

I think .. could be wrong .. exactly the same lenses

That is if the flattening of features and the amount of DOF .. you will need to be further away to get the framing .. I haven't really thought about this before now .. a very interesting question.

• It depends entirely on what kind of interview situation you want – thing is there is a LOT of glass that is great for this purpose but generally you´d be looking at 25-85mm in focal length for talking heads. Although, there are situations when you could stretch that range to 12-100mm. For instance, if you want to include the location in the shot then a 12mm, or 17.5 could be a good choice. On the other hand, if you want to put the camera far away and create a situation where the interviewee doesn´t feel the prescence of the camera then a 100mm would work very well. Other things to consider are; how do you want the face to feel? narrow, rounded, flat..?

Some lenses will be more contrasty, some less, some more crisp, some extremely sharp, some creamy...

One lens that has worked well for me is a 50mm canon f1.4 tv-16 lens. Low contrast, easy to shoot flat and pull around in post.

• Carl Zeiss Contax/Yashica 50mm 1.7 and 135mm 2.8 which i bought new in 1982!!! Both brings beautifull soft front and back bokeh, colours are impressive, the resolution suits the GH2 sensor well. A lens hood is mandatory against flares and for the contrast, and the adapter need to allow NO false light!! I did try to use the Lumix G 14-45 and the 14-140 as well, but the results where great pictures technically seen, but missing the "touchy organic" look I expect from my portraits. The classical CZ 135mm 2.8 adapted to M4/3 is in my oppinion a mostly overseen but great combination which for portraits bring a narrow but manageable DOF, and very affordable for the performance!

• I second the Rokkor 58mm, if you can get it (and pay it) the 1.2 version, but the 1.4 is great too and far cheaper.

It is very adaptive: soft up to 2.0, tack sharp from 2.8 and beyond.

• i dig my oly 45, contax zeiss 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.4.

• Thanks all for comments. I think very important distortions of a perspective and depth of field.. I found a review article about this topic:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2010/04/portrait-lens.html

• +1 For the Rokkor 58mm. I've heard good things about the f/1.2 version but I shoot with the f/1.4 version personally.

As far as "equivalent" lenses for the GH2 vs 35mm full-frame, you may want to spend a few minutes comparing and contrasting the DOF using a DOF calculator that has circles of confusion for both. For example: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

That way you'll know in advance either what lens (or what distance from the subject) you'll need to acquire a somewhat similar DOF.

• +1 For the 58 1.2 - smooooth bokeh and selling my mint copy shortly. (sneaky nearly ad ;p)