Personal View site logo
Panasonic AG-AC90 topic and comparison with GH2, video test
  • 130 Replies sorted by
  • Has anyone ever tested it's 4:2:2 to a recorder? The Sony EX1/EX3 got a decent bump in IQ when dumping to recorders. Post was better too. Be curious about the AC90 4:2:2.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev "I think it is almost exactly same camera as X900, not Z10000." I don't know, I was just summarizing what Jan Crittenden from Panasonic wrote. But the Z10000 body (except the lens) does look very similar as the AC90. Perhaps the Z10000 is the same / similar as the X900 as well

Z10000vsAC90.jpg
    1315 x 379 - 106K
  • @brianluce I haven't tested it, but the camera is not available yet (next week I will get mine) You can ask Barry Green, he still has it.

• Yes, somebody should really try to test the low light capabilities between the X900 or even the older TM900 to the AC90. If I had the spare cash, I'd get the AC90 because it has a lot of good features over the X900 but I'd still like to know the low light quality difference especially in 1080 60p. The bit rates are about the same in 1080 60p. When it comes to 24p, it's put inside a 60i wrapper and the bit rate is about 17Mbps for both the Tm900 and newer X900. You usually have to remove pull-down which NeoScene can do. With the AC90, not only is it 24p from the very beginning without needing to convert it, the bit rate is also higher.

Z10000: - chip sizes: 1/4.1" - Total pixels: 3.05 megapixels - Effective video Pixels: 2.19 megapixels

X900: - Chip sizes: 1/4.1" - Total Pixels : 3.05 megapixels - Effective video Pixels :2.19 - 2.07 megapixels

AC190 - chip sizes: 1/4.7" - Total: Approx. 2,630K - Effective video pixels: 2.19

Somebody will have to correct me in the AC90 specs. Some places say 2.630 total and other places say 2.19 so is it around 2.63 total and 2.19 for video? or is it really 2.19 all together?

Anyway, it's true that most of the units that are out are PAL so in that case comparing 25p and 50p is fine.

• @paulo_teixeira

Thing is, try to look for AC160 also, as I see them going on ebay below $3000.

It has better sensors, better features (ND filters, etc).

• I thought of the AC160a in the past in case I start getting more video gigs than usual but I do like the slightly smaller size of the AC90 and still a bit cheaper and even if I end up not getting the AC90, I'd still be curious to know how it compares to the consumer versions like the X900. It will definitely be an interesting comparison as long as the person doing the tests match all the settings.

• I'd still be curious to know how it compares to the consumer versions like the X900.

My understanding is that it is same camera internally (same optics, same sensors, same LSI).

• @paulo_teixeira

Check this one also, it has better stabilizer, and it is similar to AC in regard that it has many common things with top consumer Sony camera.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2757/sony-hxr-nx30-pro-camcorder-topic

• +1 On the NX30 its a great camcorder and if you dont need xlrs you can go for the CX730 if you want to save cash. Again same specs/sensor/stablisation. They are all superb at lowlight as well. ;-)

• @Mimirsan

You must compare to PJ camera, as it has build in projector.

Also it has timecode that you can reset via remote for all cameras at once -

HXR-NX30E allows timecode to be centrally reset using an infrared remote control for easy synchronization of video from multiple cameras

• True forgot about the other added extras like projector. Funny the cx730 doesnt have it where cheaper Sonycams do. I dont miss not having one though. :-D

If lowlights the thing you need the new wave Sony camcorders seem to be the better option for now.

• @VK Did your TD10 arrive? how do you like it? We need a "general prosumer camcorder thread" :-)

• @Mimirsan

Yep. I like this thing, yep :-). As I think that 3D camcorders are much better for normal home video.

TD10 can be also got for cheap if you spend your time and wait. It is good to remember that it is also 2D camera with all necessary connections (headphones, mike), lanc, sony shoe, has sony wheel.

• Low light is just 1 of many important factors when comparing camcorders from different companies.

• Hi,i just returned from shooting abroad with the ac90, and leave again tomorrow. I was very satisfied, and it was a relief to be flexibel with both a shotgun mic, wireless lav set and a camera lamp on the camera. I must admit I also still shot much with the GH2 (when sound was less important and I had some time to adjust settings). With those two cameras (and my sony hdr15) I can do what i need. About low light: in my test I did not have the 20mm pancake yet. If i use that lens... the GH2 wins a few stops (sorry no time to make a comparison test. )from the ac90. But for the rest very satisfied

• hier is one test Panasonicac90

• @tommy
    Very interesting topic. Did you meanwhile buy the AC90?

For me it is 'almost' fine, for now (until some better large sensor video cameras shows up.) Just the lack of ND, and a bigger sensor to get more DOF would be lovely. I don't mind to spend extra money, but for what?

Would the new Sony's full frame camcorder NEX-VG900 be an option for you?

but is there a new standard easy to handle video camera with large sensor that is good and will not be outdated in a few years ?

Who knows? It's our consumer society who outdates the things. Even in our community barely anybody mentions GH1 anymore. You can use it for long, we freaks think about 4k but many consumers still prefer buying DVDs. Many of my friends didn't hear of Blue-Ray-Disc yet!

Whole test with Lens 14-140mm, smallest F, shutter 50, ISO 3200

This lens is optically good, but not top class. Besides,it is very slow so be sure your GH2 could have done much more than in this kind of test. It is insane to use f/4.0-5.6 lens and compare it in test to another camera with f/1.5 lens. Even comparing it with another GH2 where some superb and fast lens would be mounted, it would just look like two different cameras. Yet, I liked IQ of the AC90. I am actually impressed that the IQ of the GH2 in low light (room/picture) didn't look any worse with such a slow lens.

• Wakening this thread up hoping to get new impressions from Tommy when he gets back from his second shooting with the AC90...

@tetakpak:

"It is insane to use f/4.0-5.6 lens and compare it in test to another camera with f/1.5 lens."

I don't feel it's that unfair, on the contrary: with its 10:1 range, the 14-140 is the only zoom that closely matches on the GH series the 12:1 on the AC90, and it's a standard lens. Beside, it is said that the AC90 sensitivity is about 40 ISO, so the max iris difference compensates partly for the sensitivity difference with the GH2.

Of course, it would also be quite interesting to compare the results of both cams w/ a prime at 1.5 on the GHx, but then both cameras settings should be identical, except for the ISO setting of course... Hope I'm clear, English is not my mother language...

• @tommy

just came over this test of the Sony NEX EA50:

It seems the NEX EA50 uses a different downscaling than NEX VG20,30 etc. From this test aliasing and moire is very well controlled on the NEX EA50. NEX VG10-30 are quite bad in that department.

• @Paddy

Of course, it would also be quite interesting to compare the results of both cams w/ a prime at 1.5 on the GHx, but then both cameras settings should be identical, except for the ISO setting of course..

sorry mate, but isn't this nonsense? I meant the low-light situation, where roughly 3EV difference is unmatchable. We talk about ISO 800 vs ISO 6400 with open iris, or ISO 400 vs 3200. Slower lens forses gaining ISO and it produces noise. With Voigtländer or Leica 25mm prime lens at f1.4 one wouldn't belive it is the same GH2. That is what I meant.....