Personal View site logo
Driftwood - Experimental Series 2: Low Rider, Cluster v8, V9, Intravenus II, GH3onaGH2, AN, Boom
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • Just a little outtake from something I shot at the weekend, using AN444 Soft.

• NEW!

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate1.4 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix' - Setc.ini - Released 08/10/2012 http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/90981#Comment_90981

bkmcwd Valkyrie Flat4 'Apocalypse Now' with Driftwood's Flat 4 Matrix in all modes - Setd.ini - Released 08/10/2012 http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/90974#Comment_90974

• How can I disable the Pasadena Audio, because I have to shoot in Nebula and edit with other clips without hack. Thanks!

• Testing @Driftwood Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now Nebula' 6 GOP

I know youtube sucks but need it. Tomorrow will be @ https://vimeo.com/user5751733

• Next test @ 59.96 fps

• Two more massive screen shots of Intravenus this time.

Small house session with Avi Buffalo. Olympus 28mm and a Lomo 135mm. DIY lights.

Screen Shot 2012-10-08 at 12.29.31 PM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    Screen Shot 2012-10-08 at 12.27.19 PM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
  • NEW!

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate1.5 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix' - Seta.ini - Released 09/10/2012 http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/91102#Comment_91102

• http://www.skateboart.es/skateboart.es/under_construction_website.html Here the original, with no youtube compresion, just quicktime

• HI can anyone shed some light on the recent settings. I'm still using Canis Majoris Night at the moment which was the best settings to use a few weeks back. But now which is the best settings to use? Boom, Intravenus? I am just interested in maximum quality for heavy grading as I'm after the film look and not interested in TV. Lenses I use Zeiss, Voigtlander, SLR Magic.

Cheers

• Ok maybe its not the right place to post this but there are so much pro's here so here goes:

I tested the cluster v7 with my camera crane and glide cam in HBR mode, because the 24p mode is just to jerkey... (Slider and tripod shots work fine though, panning with tripod already causes problems..) The thing i do not understand (and i've googled it a lot) is that 24p is shit for motion, i did test several cases with different sequence settings in premiere tested along a 24p sequence and a 29.97 visa versa, and the 29.97 is just so much better.

However, the thing that i do not get (and cannot find anywhere!) is how to set the GH2 to 30p... I thought i should bring it in HBR mode, So i recorded the footage in the HBR mode, and PP thinks its interlaced 29.97... however Streamparser on the pc says its 60i... so if i do a interperate footage in PP to progressive is that the right thing?, and IS it really 30p??? it looks better anyway (I read somewhere if its displayed as 60i but the footage IS 30p...)

Please help, 24p is great for detail, but for motion it sucks, someone mentioned changing the shutterspeed, but i tried everything, but it does not make a difference...(24p is still jerkey)

The strange thing though is that some " hollywood" films are 24p and there craneshots are just fine...(very smooth motion though the footage is 24p, how do they do that, or am i missing something?)

Some advice is much appreciated ! (And yeah i know that the 24p GH2 mode is the best, i am also worried about the conversion to 29.97, my output will be vimeo and youtube for now)

PS: the Tokina 11-16 (Canon Mount) works fine now, ive bought a KIPON adapter (with aperture control) Also the hack (Nebula V7) works great, however cameraplayback is not so good, but thats not a problem for me :-) Will add some footage soon.

Regards,

Rob

• @Splendiddd 720 50p is best for fast motion, 24p is good for slow movements. HBR i never use. How you playback your footage is crucial. Seen very jerky footage on some computers setups

• @splendid....

MOTION JPeG has some very nice looking 30p hacks... 2k :) preloaded on cluster v7 i believe...

u say that 24p is choppy?? on my mediaplayer; 24p footage sometimes only plays back i frames with the different gop structure... making a choppy look, i normally use VLC Player to playback... it is freeware, maybe playback software is the prob...

however if u believe the footage looks choppy IN PP,, maybe 24p is just not the right choice for u...

24p exported as 29.97 is most DVDs... youtube and vimeo accept 24p files..

hope this helps

• Thanks guys for the suggestions!

I have a macpro 8core with 16gb of ram with a ati 5770 card AND a nvidia GTX (pcspec) 570 card (for the cuda power, btw works only with loin and up)

But i am aware that even how odd it seems a encode 29.97 youtube premierepro export seems VERY choppy in the quicktime player, however most of the video's are just fine with VLC or Movist (i prefer both those players for motion checks)

@robbin: 720p is a nice mode for slowmo in post, but not for "normal" camera movements -> Glidecam and Cameracrane

@Flaschus:i will try the motion Jpeg mode (already tested it a while ago)

The thing is that i want the best quality i can get, and i got that with these amazing hacks and the GH2, but i am really annoyed with the motion jerkness of some of the shots i take... Still maybe someone can answer the million dollar question: how is it that some (not all!) hollywood films get there crane shots so smooth @24p and i cannot even get the 60p or 30p 7D shots in that matter in a 24p export even they look great in the 29.97 sequence in PP....

Again sorry for the off topic post, but this forum gives me most of the time some proper answers :-)

• hook up your mac to a tv and try playback 24p footage at 24hz

• @splendiddd I reckon hollywood films exploit motion blur in 24p frames, which make them look smoother @ 24fps (but not so good when pausing on individual frames)

• You could try to either record at 1/40 or even 1/30 shutter to get more motionblur in cam, or - what I prefer - record at shorter shutter times like 1/125-1/400 and apply reel smart motion blur @0.5 in post. Just note that the second method will get you into problems with translucent objects like filming trough as window. Lens flares will also confuse the plugin.

• waiting for that v8!! this could be the one!!

• i had a v8 this morning :)

• @Danielvy V8 is not the one hopefully the cluster v9 will be the most performing one. V8 will sure do better than v7. if you are looking for top notch wait for intravenus cinema soft matrix.

• @SplendidddIn the movie camera has a shutter which is like a half drive. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Moviecam_schematic_animation.gif He makes good motion blur, but we do not have such a camera, we have electronic shutter. He will not give a smooth, but you can come close to this. At frame rates 24p should put 50 shutter speed, at a frequency of 60p - 125 (should be 120 but this is not present).

• @Shon thanks but i know that already, i guess the GH2 is just for the 24p.. I think i will keep my 7D @30p for the crane and glidecam shots... (that is smooth enough for me) however its very hard to CC and let it justify with the GH2 footage :-(

Thanks all anyway for the anwsers :-)

• @Splendiddd Doesn't it look strange to blend 7D 30p with GH2 24p?

• @Splendiddd

There are specific formulas for camera movement -- frame rate, focal length, distance to subject. If I'm doing a crane shot at 24p, then my lens is wide and I'm focused on something far away. If my subject is near, then my lens is as wide as possible and I'm moving slow, very slow. If I'm focused on something near and my lens isn't wide -- then I'm moving so slow it's beyond ridiculous. That's a translation of the formula. Google it -- it's all been discussed to death on every forum out there.

You wrote: "720p is a nice mode for slowmo in post, but not for "normal" camera movements -> Glidecam and Cameracrane"

To which I have no response because this makes no sense. 60p is vastly more forgiving for stabilizer work or camera movement work in any form. 30p is barely, barely better than 24p for camera movement.

So, the "motion jerkness" isn't the fault of the camera. It's your fault. If you learn the basics of the craft of "cinematography" -- then the "motion jerkness" won't happen because you'll know exactly what you can and can't do. Or -- if that's a headache -- go out and buy a fisheye lens and film at 60p -- and there will be no "motion jerkness."

• @onionbrain Thanks for your input Drew ;-) and YES i am a beginner and have to learn a lot, btw you are the one who made be buy the GH2, and i have no regret at all ! thanks for that, and i mean it...

@onionbrain quote:

"There are specific formulas for camera movement -- frame rate, focal length, distance to subject. If I'm doing a crane shot at 24p, then my lens is wide and I'm focused on something far away. If my subject is near, then my lens is as wide as possible and I'm moving slow, very slow. If I'm focused on something near and my lens isn't wide -- then I'm moving so slow it's beyond ridiculous. That's a translation of the formula. Google it -- it's all been discussed to death on every forum out there."

I am doing exactly that!

However, before i did a post here about the subject I tried to google it a lot and i did test a lot of options first, and if my final output would be 24p then its not a issue, but i am sorry but 30p and up looks so much better with crane shots...

Take a look at this vid, i did all the footage in 24p:

Lens on the crane shots was a Tokina 11-16mm @11mm and the aperture was around 8 orso

This video i did the crane shots @30p on the canon with the Tokina: Output video is 29.97

My opinion is that the footage @30p is much smoother and better to handle (as in the second video), i was just wondering if i could get the same results @24p... But as you said earlier in a private post in youtube, the GH2 720p mode is great, and MUCH better than the canon, and i can confirm that after testing. However i use a 30p sequence in PP just for the smoother motion.

So now i will try to use only the GH2 this weekend on sunday, i have a Mopar meeting to film (just for fun) and will use the 720p mode with the GH2 for the motion stuff, i will post the result later.

I think i will use the V7 nebula cluster for this...

Please don't blame me of not knowing my craft Drew, i am eager to learn and i alway take your advice in your vids :-)

Cheers

Rob

• @Splendiddd I don't think the difference in jitter in your example is so much caused by changing to 30p as by switching camera to the Canon 7d. Different cameras have different strengths and weaknesses, and the Canons may very well have smoother motion (at the expense of detail).