Personal View site logo
Crowd funding a cure for cancer
  • Here is a crowd funding endeavour for which you get nothing more than a thank you.

A virus was discovered that attacks and kills cancer cells in mice by a swedish university. Of course no pharmaceutical company would back further research.

• 18 Replies sorted by
  • I encourage everybody to do not make donations.

Looking at the data it is group of people who need treatment themselfs, and no proof that proposed method will work at all. Plus estimated goals are all off, going from $1mln to 2 million pounds (and this is >$3 mln)

• I first read "crowd finding cure.." and I thought: huh?

Speaking of cure for cancer, I have a friend who is in metastasis now and I asked him if he wants to try cesium chloride (some info here: http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james14.htm and here: http://www.cancertutor.com/Cancer/Alkaline.html), but he wants to try some kind of new chemo in London first then maybe cesium chloride. Of course it's his life at stake, so I have no say in this.

But I second the opinion that big pharma does not care to find an eficient cure for cancer.

Outlines from the above links (for lazy people):

• cancer cells use up to 15 times more glucose than normal cells, and in addition don't get enough oxygen, therefore glucose is metabolized anaerobically (fermentation) generating lactic acid (therefore cancer pain), which in turn damages the DNA/RNA replication process resulting in more cancer cells and accelerated cell replication.
    • Cesium - if it can enter the cancer cell : 1) Makes the cancer cells alkaline (Note: the BLOOD is NOT made alkaline, only the inside of the cancer cells), 2) Limits the intake of glucose into the cell (thus starving the cell and making the cell "sick" from lack of food), 3) Neutralizes the lactic acid (which is actually what causes the cell to multiply uncontrollably), and 4) Stops the fermentation process, which is a second affect of limiting the glucose.

Has anyone had experience with these?

• Crowd source funding is a great idea for science. One thing I don't understand is why one of the donation brackets is not to become part of the clinical trial group, that would raise more than enough money to reach their goal in a matter of hours.

• @Kankala

Cesium is not approved for medical use in Australia, Five Australians in endstage sought out alternative treatments and elected cesium. The treatment was administered in Australia under the direction of a Dr. then located in Thailand, All 5 died.
    Here is a link to the coronial inquest: http://www.safetyandquality.health.wa.gov.au/docs/mortality_review/inquest_finding/Operation_Lantana_finding.pdf

• Crowd source funding is a great idea for science.

Nope, it is not good idea. Public can't (and don't want, I must say) check anything.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev what makes you think that the public cannot access published research papers?

• @kavadni

Please, read my words again. Even if they can access some papers, they can't check them, as they lack necessary knowledge. And 90% won't even bother to look for such papers.

So, any such "crowdfunding" must be banned by law.

• @Kankala .. regarding pharmaceutical lack of interest in backing a possible viral cure.
    Is probably due to the fact that a virus can not be patented. And it's doubtful that a specific and patentable production or delivery method would be required.

Edit: It could have been patented, but has been put into the public domain .. and therefore can not be in this instance

• regarding pharmaceutical lack of interest in backing a possible viral cure.

Thing that I know for sure is that using viruses to cure cancer is wide area of research.

So, most probably it is caused by simple fact - proposed approach is useless.

• So, most probably it is caused by simple fact - proposed approach is useless.

That might end up being the result

• why should this not be a good idea? It is still the same scientists that develop the virus and do the testing, only someone else will be paying, without profit standing in the way.

• I gotta start crowd funding "world peace".

• @ssh, only one solution for that problem, the elimination of the human race

• @Dazza

Good idea for kickstarter - your own handheld nuke :-)

• I dont think crowd funding in this field is a superbad idea. If this principle is used with technological inventions, then most people also dont have the know how to understand it. Its a question how you provide the facts, in a simplification people can swallow.

On the other hand, there is room for a lot of abuse and charlatans there. People who abuse heartbraking stories of children or just make those up.

Actually extinction of mankind might not be such a bad idea, from an ecological view :)

• The planet isn't going anywhere. WE ARE! Pack your shit, folks. We're goin' away (c)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev: Classic George Carlin!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions