Personal View site logo
How to get that VIDEO look
  • Hey guys, I wanted to know how the heck do I get that video look as seen on live TV and news shows? I only really read about the film look and I have a client that actually wants the video to look like broadcast live TV. I still want to get the best image quality tho. THX and sorry for the Newbie question.
  • 15 Replies sorted by
  • @Aria

I fixed category, but for last time.
    Add tags and do not use all caps words in titles, this is bad habit.

As for question, use 50i, 60i, 50p or 60p :-)
  • Thx VK. Sorry about the mistakes.
  • 720/60p looks very video to me :-)
  • I know he wants it to look like a live News or NFL broadcast. He's gonna pretend to be a reporter for this portion of the video and doesn't want the flat look of 24p etc. You know that glossy look of video is a very distinct look and I haven't been trying to achieve that look and never shot in anything other than 24p. I was wondering if there was some special setting that I would need in order to best approximate that look. If it's just frame rates then that makes it easier I guess.
  • keep it bright
    have less background defocus
    have boosted colours
    shoot in lower res maybe
  • word to vitaliy. 50i or 50p/60i/60p is what you need to use, also word at mimirsan :) youll be happy with this advice i think
  • The biggest give away of ENG is the deep depth of field. The reason for this is partly the size of the sensor in these types of cameras, which is tiny in comparison to say the GH2. So choice of lens will be important too. I find the Lumix 14-140 to be sharp and a bit videoy looking compared to all my Canon FD primes.
  • Thanks guys. You know we spend so much time trying to get away for that look, but now that I need to actually convincingly make footage look like video it's not so easy anymore. You do have to actually set things up to match the look from a Live TV feed.
  • First, shoot interlaced and not progressive. 60i in NTSC, 50i in PAL.
    Second, use a small aperture so you get a deep depth of field.
    Third, turn up the sharpening and image enhancement, to get that crisp, newsy feel.
  • That look you want is interlaced video - don't shoot anything progressive.

(sorry, adr beat me to it!)
  • use a Camcorder with small sensor . . .
  • 1) Massive banks of floodlights, with the apature stopped right down (just slightly +) - result is bright & sharp
    2) Stage makeup (as per theatre makeup) to counteract the 'transparent skin flatness' caused by the bright lights
    3) ??
    4) Profit

Plenty of stuff on the web about how TV sets are lit, e.g.
    http://www.cybercollege.com/tvp034.htm
  • @madact, thanks that was very helpful. I've got plenty of lights, so this shouldn't be a problem. This thread has turned out to have a lot more info than I ever expected. It's kinda cool to be talking about filming to get a video look on purpose after years of trying hard to avoid it. :)
  • +1 on using a camcorder, preferably with a CCD sensor if you are thinking of doing any panning as it has a sort of "solid" look as opposed to the slight jello look. And if it's meant to simulate "live" video, don't do anything clever with the image beyond getting the levels and colour balance right, because in a "real" situation you wouldn't be able to do fancy grading or looks with a live image.

A good pro / semi-pro camcorder will also do good quality zooms should you want them (compared with the deeply crappy in-vision zoom "capabilities" of the otherwise excellent 14-140).
  • I'm not sure if you're trying to simulate night or day or where your reporter will be (in a remote studio / in front of the players) but why not look for some matching online examples of real news / sports tv so you / your client can choose one that's appropriate in the context of your finished piece. Video grabs of these will give you something to replicate visually on set.

My other advice is to treat the sound differently (using a clip-on or handheld mic for example, and roll off the bass and treble a bit) as sound is part of the "clue" that this is meant to be different from the rest of your piece.