Personal View site logo
Driftwood - Experimental Series 2: Low Rider, Cluster v8, V9, Intravenus II, GH3onaGH2, AN, Boom
  • Driftwood GH2 & GFx Settings

*** THIS IS A CONTINUATION THREAD FROM SERIES 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 WHICH CAN BE FOUND BY CLICKING ON THE LINKS BELOW - ALL EARLIER DRIFTWOOD SETTINGS CAN BE FOUND & DOWNLOADED ON THESE LINKS ON PAGE 1 OF THEIR RESPECTIVE THREADS***

EXPERIMENTAL SERIES 1 - Apocalypse Now Series & Boom! Also the place to find Cluster v7 settings with cbrandin 444 matrix and sharp variation.

Series 1 Link

Series 2 Link

Series 3 Link

Series 4 Link

Series 5 Link

The old Intra VY Canis Majoris Link

ALL Settings require Panasonic firmware v1.11 & ptools 3.64D '200212' OR 3.65d required). Settings for GH2 & GFx Lumix cameras.

DRIFTWOOD NEWS

11-01-2013 NEW Cluster v8 'DREWnet' 'cbrandin Cinema Smooth' setting 12/15 GOP released. See below.

12-01-2013 NEW Cluster v9 'DREWnet' 'Boom 4444 matrix' setting 12/15 GOP released. See below.

PLUS New Cluster X in trial amongst the thread. Nebula versions (6 GOP) of all three Cluster 12/15 settings will appear here soon.

CREDITS

These settings are dedicated to VK @Vitaliy_Kiselev (master in control) and Chris Brandin @cbrandin (thee font of information).

IF YOU LIKE THESE SETTINGS PLEASE PAYPAL DONATE (ABOVE) TO VITALIY FOR HIS BRIILLIANT & TIRELESS WORK ON GIVING US THE HACK.

• 1008 Replies sorted by
  • Apocalypse Now - Settings

Apocalypse Now 'Intravenus' v2 With cbrandin 'Smooth Cinema' Matrix

• Intra GOP1 24p & HBR/FSH +3/ 6 GOP 720p Modes - Released 29//12/2012

Another experimental setting in the Apocalypse Now suite. Not really a version 2 but a variation utilising Chris Brandin's other low pass frequency matrix. There are subtle differences between 444 matrix (see Intravenus v1 on other thread) and this one.

The main goal in tuning these settings was to achieve high PSNR (Peak signal to noise ratio) averaging around at least 50dbs on all modes whilst looking at ways of knocking out artefacts. We all know that PSNR shouldn't necessarily be used to judge picture quality, however, elecard's Q results continually prove that a high PSNR is fairly reflective of decent signal to noise whether or not human visual perception 'sees' not much difference. It certainly helps in the grade. A higher PSNR would normally indicate that the reconstruction is of higher quality.

Once again this setting pushes things to the limit and you will need a decent hi-speed SD card to make use of not only very high Intra 24p but also 80Mbps+ averaging for HBR/1080i and 720p modes.

Once again, a big thank you to @cbrandin in analysing and developing the 'Cinema Smooth' matrix.

Driftwood Intravenus variation 2 - smooth cinema matrix - setc.zip
  • *** NEW ***

Cluster v8 'DREWnet' (12/15 Classic PAL/NTSC GOP) variation with cbrandin 'Cinema Smooth Matrix' Released 11/01/2013

featuring;-

• cbrandin's hi-quality chroma/luma low pass filter 'Cinema Smooth Matrix'
    • 90Mbps Hi Bitrate Long GOP 1080p24/80% Mode
    • 38Mbps HBR/FSH
    • 50Mbps 720p
    • 2K MJPEG
    • QP16 Picture Quantiser for superior Quality
    • Pasadena Pulse Audio Patch V2 B2, by Per Lichtman
    • Outstanding 1080p24 mode for hi-quality LOW QP wide shots.

Cluster v8 'Nebula' 6 GOP TBA

cinema smooth matrix.png
    2435 x 259 - 31K
    Cluster v8 'DREWnet' 12 and 15 GOP - cinema smooth - setb.zip
  • Quantum GH3 Matrix Setting Test 2

Recommended: Good for Intra documentary making.

Low mem cost - Great quality 1080p24/25p/30p Intra utilising the .mov GH3 matrix scaling tables & deblocking simply inserted into the GH2. Plus 3 GOP PAL 50p and 6 GOP 60p 720 modes. cbrandin's AQ1 and AQ2 is back in use here providing avg 14-16 Q for 1080 modes and lower for 720p modes. Experimental Setting requires testing.

• 24p =50-100Mbps avg
    • HBR 25p/30p = 50-88Mbps avg
    • 720 modes = 50Mbps avg

Cluster 'DREWnet' GOP12/15 (LongGOP) Test 4 version of the GH3 Matrices. Including:-

• 40M to 80M bitrates for 24p record modes
    • 40M HBR/1080i record modes
    • 50M+ 720p modes
    • The GH3's .mov scaling matrix on 24p mode
    • The GH3's AVCHD scaling matrix on1080i/HBR/720p modes
    • deblocking table from .mov All-I modes for 24p and AVCHD deblocking tables for everything else.

Note: The GH2 does not employ adaptive 8x8 & 4x4 Transform as does the GH3.

'Quantum' Intra GH3 Matrix TRIAL 2.zip
    24p in motion grab - using just 75Mbps data rate of your sdcard via the new Quantum GH3 Matrix 2 setting.png
    2560 x 1440 - 6M
    GH3 4x4 Sclaing Matrix on the GH2.png
    1255 x 1026 - 101K
    GH3 4x4 Scaling Matrix HBR 25p Test on the GH2 - avg QP16.png
    2367 x 1225 - 137K
    Cluster 'DREWnetGH3' TEST4 seti.zip
  • Driftwood the GH2 'Low Rider' trial Setting and report back any findings. :-)

With Low Rider we are using Quantisation to drive the bitrate and quantisation together with Chris Brandin's excellent AQ routines on top of a fairly mid-range lowpass frequency CQMatrice.

The whole idea of Low Rider is to see how low we can get QP (and how to balance the CQM with Initial Q) for most sorts of pictures without introducing artefacts etc... Subsequently, the encoder resolves great picture detail at Low Rider's Intra modes (and 3 GOP on 720p) without neccesarily over taxing the encoder with an intensive matrix.

The Low Rider matrix is tighter than stock levels but nowhere near as 'pushy' as some of the other Intra matrices of the past. I initially chose a IQ of 16 but felt 17 offered a more balanced overall picture quantisation without greater degrees of DC range.

The result is macroblock QP ranges of 9 to 20 (often lower) for most pictures and perhaps the best overall Intra yet. However, you decide and test.

Low Rider test 2 and 3 have been shelved and the research now forms part of the newer Cluster X series.

Currently, Low Rider eats the following out of your precious (decent) SD card;-

• Intra 24p eats around 100Mbps to 148Mbps
    • HBR/1080i around 90Mbps to 113Mbps
    • 720p 3 GOP modes at around 75Mbps to 84Mbps.

Info for Testers:

• We're still testing FSH (1080i) modes - unfinished
    • 80% Modes - unfinished
    • Rec Modes sometimes freeze.
    Low Rider - setb.zip
  • Cluster DREWnet (12/15 GOP) v9 Boom 12/01/2013

Featuring;-

• Driftwood Boom 4444 Matrix
    • 90Mbps Hi Bitrate Long GOP 1080p24/80% Mode
    • 32-38Mbps HBR/FSH
    • 48-50Mbps 720p
    • 2K MJPEG
    • QP16 Picture Quantiser for superior Quality
    • Pasadena Pulse Audio Patch V2 B2, by Per Lichtman
    • Superb 1080p24 mode for hi-quality LOW QP wide shots and ridiculously good low pass filtering for mid to tight shots.

Cluster v9 'Nebula' 6 GOP 'Boom 4444 Matrix' variation with tighter i frames - Coming soon!

Cluster v9 Boom '4444 Matrix' setf.ini.zip
  • sorry for the pic had to delete video do to privacy issues,the pic is of my homemade dolly I used in the deleted video.

dolly.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 213K
  • Hi Nick @driftwood! :-)

I take care so that it may not become your obstacle, but how should I do?

• Two grabs, first is BOOM without CC and second BOOM with CC and ADB effect.- Soon ill post the entire video. Boom works great with this technique thank you very much Nick.-

calfu0.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    calfu.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • @driftwood does cluster 8 will push gh2 to its limit or its the intavenus??

• I'm using a 25mm Voitlander 0.95. Is better to use the sharp2 or the soft in 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 Soft' matrix?

• @artardi And that if you leave it so? @jdude sharp2.

2c4230040e8d59421c0a37429c56b4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 647K
  • Hey guys check the video I did with cluster v6 recently in Bulgaria.

Would love to hear your feedback on this. Basically it's a music video of a street performance in three acts. Cheers.

• I use cluster v7 for my GH2 and GF3, and the result is very AMAZING!

• @jdude i would suggest to try both and see what works best for you. In my recent tests i've found the soft to work really well with my 14-140 and my helios 44M. In regards to voight it really depends how you're going to be using it! The voight can be soft and sharp. If wide open, night shoots probably go with sharp, but if your going to do day time/well lit stuff from f5.6 and above go with soft. It also depends what ND filter you are using!!

• @Diffusion33 For now I,m testing the Sharp2 with the Voigtlander and looks very nice with a FADER HD Variable ND filter. I will try the soft next. Thanks.

• @jdude Do you have any footage of Voigt 25mm and the Sharp2? I am currently torn between the Voigt 17.5mm and the 25mm. Deciding which one to get.

• @strancali to be honest i don't see what a patch as got to do between choosing these two lenses!!!! If money is no object then go for the 17.5mm. The benefit of having the stepless aperture is worth it. There's already topic about 17.5mm with examples! There's also footage in previous topic with the voight 25mm but i still not sure how this will help you decide what lens to go for?!

• @Diffusion33 Hi, no I wasn't undecided because of the patch, I just wanted to see how it looks with the 25mm :). Do you think the image quality is the same between the two? I've seen so many sell their 17.5 to get the 25 again so it made me wonder.

• @strancali Unfortunately, i do not own either of these lenses, however i have had the pleasure of using the 25mm and it's a wonderful lens. From what i've seen and read the 17.5mm seems to be a superb lens matching the 25 in color and sharpness. I own a couple of stepless lenses and for my money i would go for the 17.5mm for that feature alone.

• The 17.5 is just as great as the 25 – only different. I tested both and went for the 17.5, since the 25 is just a 'normal' lens on the GH2 and feeling a bit stale in image composition (but that's me).

The 17.5 already has a true 'wide' feeling and is more interesting without being too extreme for close-ups and not too much perspective distortion when moving the camera.

Technically thye are both fantastic, it's a matter of taste (well, and money).

• @Diffusion33 @nomad Thanks guys, I was mainly concerned about image quality. I think i'll start with the 17.5mm and go from there.

• apocalypse now "boom"

• @driftwood: Looking forward to V8 Nick. Plain awesomeness.

• @pvjames same here, but looking forward for IntraVenus Cinema Matrix.