Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic G5 topic
  • 264 Replies sorted by
  • What did you mean with profile High level 5? However I´m interested on 1080p50.

• Is G5 better than GH2?

When HDMI is connected and looking at external monitor, can we shoot 1080 50p ?

• Have you red this tread???

driftwood posted in August: Does HDMI Out work? Only in Playback mode. The G5 is UNABLE to record thru the hdmi out port showing no picture or no input in Live View or Record mode. Tested and confirmed on a Atamos Ninja and Viera TV.

• @kihlian The hi bitrate mov modes on the gh3 are High Profile level 5. However, G5 has comparable avchd 1080p50/60 modes to the gh3. Ill be running full tests nxt week when Im back from chile.

• @driftwood Good to hear. After I saw the encoder perf on the GH3 test clips I was hoping someone would take a look at the G5 encoder perf.

• G5 video is essentially "auto" correct? except for in the manual you can ae-lock and you can add a flickr reduction option to set shutter at 1/50, 1/60, 1/100 and 1/120 and off?

If the camera is in manual mode what happens when you hit the record button? does it auto-iso and maintain the camera settings?

If the camera is in A or S and you hit ae-lock does it hold those settings and the iso, or allow the iso to still go auto?

Interested in what work around there is for holding exposure? many thanks.

• @adventsam

If its like the G3 then you can lockdown the shutterspeed with the flicker reduction and works in video mode.

You have no controls over aperture (unless using a manual lens).iso though. I also found the AE lock goes auto after hitting record. AF lock works while recording.

You can adjust exposure (EV)..but iso and aperture (on panny lenses) will adjust in relation to it. So basically you only have some limited control on shutter speed.

It kind of reminds me of the Nikons d5100 :-D

I like the G5 (white one) shame no manual controls...may pick one up when cheap for the wife.

• Hmm, that is disappointing then ;-(

• Actually i think that setting the shutter speed is sufficient for most tasks! Just use a variable ND filter to select the wanted aperture: Just switch to S mode, select 1/50 shutter speed (or whatever you have selected as flickr reduction option), half press the shutter to start metering and use the ND filter to select the aperture (while keeping iso at 160). If you now start to record a movie, it will use the selected aperture (because auto always tries to keep ISO low).

The only problem, which remains is the lack of AE lock. But this is probably something which could easily added with a firmware hack.

• @izzy Totally agree. its what I did when I had a G3. Having the ability to lock the shutter speed is handy. The only annoyance is the AE lock deactivating when hitting record.

• DxO has measured G5 sensor. So far it looks like it's the best Panasonic has ever released in M43 realm. Great b-cam for GH2, it even slightly outperforms its bigger brother in low-light.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/816|0/(brand)/Panasonic/(appareil2)/793|0/(brand2)/Olympus/(appareil3)/677|0/(brand3)/Panasonic

• Does anyone know how DxOmark can measure more than 12Ev of dynamic range for a 12bit Raw file?

• You can capture whatever dynamic range you like within whatever bit depth you like. The two metrics have no bearing on one another.

Hoping that manual video control and multi-aspect can be enabled by some clever sort on this camera. Would that even be possible?

• Thanks for the explanation. In my knowledge, a 12 bit Raw file can record lightness from 0 to 4095. For each stop (Ev) is half or double the amount of light, we can do a simple math. For example, -OEv can store 4096, -1Ev can store 2048, and so on. Therefore, it should theoretically stop at -12Ev (2^12=4096). It's really strange that a more than 12Ev dynamics can be measured unless I misunderstood something. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• @OASYS

You assume perfectly linear sensitivity and no processing.
    It can be not the case here.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

You're right. I assumed DxOmark measures the sensitivity of a sensor before any further processing such as gamma conversion. In a 12bit Raw file, it should only have linear data so in principle the maximal DR is 12Ev. That's what I cannot understand.

(DR of G5 is 11.6Ev, that of EM-5 is 12.3Ev?)

• In a 12bit Raw file, it should only have linear data so in principle the maximal DR is 12Ev. That's what I cannot understand.

It is wrong assumption. Data is not perfectly linear, and some processing is made for raw anyway.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thanks for the clue. I shall do more research on it. Cheers.:-)

• @ http://www.personal-view.com/talks/profile/1650/OASYS "You're right. I assumed DxOmark measures the sensitivity of a sensor before any further processing such as gamma conversion. In a 12bit Raw file, it should only have linear data so in principle the maximal DR is 12Ev. That's what I cannot understand. (DR of G5 is 11.6Ev, that of EM-5 is 12.3Ev?)"

OASYS these numbers are the "Print DR" where Dxo theoretically calculates the DR not per pixel but after resampling 16Mp to 8Mp. This gives 1/2 stop increase. The per pixel DR is the "Screen DR" in our case 11.1 and 11.8 stops.

There is more to this....

Your assumption that raw files are linearly encoded is (almost) correct. I wrote (Almost) because there is a suspicion for some recent models (D7000, D800, D4) that the manufacturers started to use non linear data (at the brightest 1/3 stop). Some raw file researchers observed that the SNR curves which DxO provides don't exactly fit on the theoretical model .. thus the suspicion. But even so, they (the manufacturers) linearize the non linear data before they write the raw file so that all raw converters do their job on linear data... and in our case DxO measures are on linear (or maybe linearized) raw data.

Your assumption that a 12bit raw pixel limits the DR at 12 stops is wrong because per definition DR is Max_signal/noise. Well ... this is the so called "engineering DR", DxO uses a slightly different definition Max_signal/Level where SNR=1.
    Keep in mind that noise is stochastic value and so it can be a fraction of the used unit. If noise could be zero DR could be infinite.... In our case (digital photo) there is always some "read noise" but even if in a magic way a manufacturer can eliminate it at zero, in a n-bit encoded raw there will exist the quantization noise which is the stdev of a uniform distribution http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantization_error and this equals to 0.29. So the max (engineering) DR that a n-bit file can hold is n+1.8 ..

http://forum.dxomark.com/index.php/topic,198.0.html

• @lliasG

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It makes sense to me now. When I looked into DxOmark's measurements, I tried to figure out what will really influence our photos. It's surprising to see that in fact the SNR 18% of the best APS-C and M43 sensors are so closed (here I refer to GH2, G5, GX1, EM5, 600D, and NEX-5N..). They're almost within a small error bar. Then I turned to see color depth and DR. Though the differences are more significant, most people use a 8 bit jpg file as their final output. So again I wonder how DR and color depth would impact our photography in real life. Since I'm a user of GX1 and GH2, I really like to know if my cameras are really BAD in still quality as everyone says in the forum. Are they really far behind from the most advanced cameras in the final output? Now it's clearer for me.

Thanks again, lliasG and also Vitaliy's great work. Hope we can see a new Ptool very soon.

Here is an article I found for people interested in RAW and DR:

http://www.normankoren.com/digital_tonality.html

Cheers.

• May I ask? As The G5 is about half the price of the GH3 and will share the same sensor and frame rates that are ideal Is there plans for a hack? If so will it be any time soon as this seems more appealing to buy than the GH2 due to the new improved MOS sensor and ergenomic (grip).

• The G5 could be a sleeper!

• Hope someone can provide a G5 Raw file in 3:2 or 16:9 so we can see the possibility of multi-aspect function.

• I own an G5. Do you want me to send some Raw files?