Personal View site logo
Detailed look at the Zacuto EVF
  • 39 Replies sorted by
  • Hmm. Check out the comment on DP4 barrel distortion by Philip Bloom. http://www.eoshd.com/content/3500/zacuto-evf-flip-review#comment-1176

Can you test that @HillTop1 ? Slightly concerns me!

@Butt you need the Zacuto EVF for the GH2 because the screen provided is too low res for manual focus, is not nice under the magnification of a loupe, and the screen lacks functionality such as peaking, live anamorphic correction and the ability to be removed from the camera and placed in the appropriate place on a rig. Ergonomically, not just for image quality, an EVF is far better.
  • @Butt
    Sure, the EVF is pretty good. But if you want something better then the Zacuto and DP4 and Cineroid are good options.
  • Heard from SmallHD, the DP4 doesn't have anamorphic scaling presets, but they are adding it in a firmware update later this year.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I saw that scaling feature tutorial too. However for me at least it doesn't quite work so well on the GH2 - it's rather buggy and temperamental. It's hard to scale it down - and right and left movement is limited. Additionally and this is the most frustrating part is with this firmware update I've had several instances where it crashes just by running through and adjusting the menus. EOSHD has commented that his unit does not crash with the firmware update - go figure.

@EOSHD,

Have you tried running through the menues very quickly and making adjustments quickly as well? That's when mine crashes. For example dialing up brightness really fast will crash it and sometimes it crashed running it slowly.
  • @Butt

This may be somewhat off-topic, but what are the options for making better use of the excellent EVF on the GH2? For focusing it's way better than the LCD, plus it's visible in sunlight.

It would be nice if there were some form of optical extension/angler so it could be used more comfortably, and with greater eye relief so I could check focus without knocking the camera with my head.

I tried a telescope eyepiece with an angled prism but it couldn't focus close enough. I suppose such optics would have to be custom designed, if it's at all possible. Anybody know anything about this?
  • @bdegazio
    > For focusing it's way better than the LCD, plus it's visible in sunlight.<<br />
    I using the in-cam-finder for this situations
  • So I played with Zacuto EVF (regular, not the pro one) in a real life shooting situation today. First, I lost my eyepiece cap and the little screw handle which definitely has nothing to do with Zacuto but my own stupidity. Secondly, I was disappointed with the focus peaking option (if compared to Cineroid as it is advertised on the web). Thirdly and most importantly I can't understand why on earth all the meters and numbers disappear from the monitor right after I press record button? I want to keep my control of the time, battery, exposure etc... Am I doing something wrong? And how about that tele/crop option of GH2? Is it brought back by the hack or not? Because otherwise I would have to take my HDMI cord out and shoot with the same old LCD. Apart from that the screen is definitely bright and lets you focus more accurately. Zebras are of some help too although I got used to trusting my exposure meter. Overall it's a great piece of equipment but the price does bite. I'd love to have audio monitoring too. I really hope I didn't make a mistake when I chose Zacuto over Cineroid.
  • @Butt
    >Why do I need a Zacuto EVF for GH2?
    You should be able to position the viewfinder so that a GH2 shoulder rig can finally sit, ENG-camera style, on your shoulder!
    (Not for everybody, I know) But these traditions die hard. Last week I saw a TV colleague doing street-shots with a rear-viewfinder Sony on a tripod. He said, "look at what they've sent me out with!"
  • As much as I would like something like this, I doubt it would bring me $1000 worth of improvement over monitoring.
    How Zacuto hasn't run out of business yet is beyond me.
  • @P4INKiller

We won't do such things here.
    Stating that something is too costly (in your interpretation) and that Zacuto must run out of business have no real use for anyone reading it.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I never stated that Zacuto must run out of business. But you're right, perhaps it is wrong of me to speculate and share my thoughts. I see such things are not valued here.
  • @P4INKilller
    Many of us wants the discussion was simply constructive. Enter your pros and cons. Why or why not. Such things are valued.
  • So, does the smallHD dp4 have 2.35:1 guides? Has that been updated? Cheers