Personal View site logo
NeatVideo topic
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • Thank you all so much for the replies and advice, it is much appreciated. I will buy neatvideo tonight when I get home.

• Yep - I agree with above ^^. When in Neat video, my two tips are:

1) In the device noise profile window, sample from an area where you are moving the camera or where it's out of focus - because you will get a good clean area for Neat Video to work on where the detail is only the noise, nothing else.

2) When making adjustments, make sure you switch the view to Y / Cr / Cb (bottom left of program window) and in the noise filter settings window you can use the corresponding sliders to ensure you remove only exactly what you need and you can leave the wanted detail as unmolested as possible.

Neat Video really is very good, handled carefully.

• Take time to do a proper noise profile. It´s super easy to do, if you select a frame with some clear surfaces; highlight, mid and low.. (you can use the same setting for the same iso / shot with the same lens). Play with the averaging function - it´s quite effective for nearly static shots. Neat video will do the job, depending on how delicate the footage is. You can re-grain the footage afterwards, so don´t worry too much if it gets a bit smooth, but see also if you can make use of the sharpening function. (there are good tutorials about all of this from NV, you will save time if you check it out!)

• NV is it, look no further. I've also shot at 640 and with the wrong shutter speed on top of it so I have flicker (50Hz powergrid here). NV cures it all, including flicker with the "Remove very low frequency noise" option.

There is a bit of a learning curve to get the best results, do use the Advanced options. Get your noise profile straight from the clip if you can identify a featureless area, it works best this way.