Personal View site logo
Using focal reducers with GH1/2 and old lenses?
  • 61 Replies sorted by
  • @Brian202020

Which focal reducer are you using? Do you have a link?

I'm not sure if f3.5 is already so stopped down that coma will be small. Can you repeat your test with a lower f-stop, f2.0 or f1.4 would be very interesting.

• @Brian202020

Keep up the good work!

• "Going from full frame to mft should give you a 2x crop which I would assume would be a 2x increase in brightness (1 stop)."

It is actually 2 f-stops all else being equal. Two times the field of view in two directions quadruples area.

Adding optical element at the back of the lens reduces flange depth because of change of light speed in another medium. The thinner the optical element, the less the flange depth is affected. I've put color compensating filters in the adapter and gelatin filter changes the focus only very little, whereas a glass filter changes focus scale quite a bit, sometimes a centimeter or two in the turn of the focus ring. Obviously a big difference in the distance and the scale. Compensating this would mean taking the lens farther from the film, but then the magnification increases eating some of the field of view.

The compensation would be best done on the lens front element and focus ring and there is often room for some adjustment.

• @brian2020 with most focal reducers you will have a decrease in flange depth. Avoiding this is the real trick and it is why Kodak owns the patent specifically on focal reducers that do not change back focus distance.

I think that the real value of focal reducers will be on a camera like the BMC where you could replace the entire front of the camera and build the focal reducer into the new camera/ mount. Right now I am trying to talk to some machine vision camera manufacturers about building a full frame uncompressed camera because everyone I talked to said that focal reducers were not worth the effort. If you are able to make this work I think that it would be huge for a camera like the mft bmc.

Going from full frame to mft should give you a 2x crop which I would assume would be a 2x increase in brightness (1 stop). That would mean that if you reduced a f/2.8 FF lens it would show up as a f/2 on sensor. That being said, your original post showed that coma disappeared when stopping down. How many stops does it take? If you could do it with 1 stop wouldn't that mean that you could get full frame fov on a mft sensor with no coma if a 2.8 lens was stopped to f/4 but it would still give you the same amount of light as an f/2.8 lens?

• Looks rather promising, and from your histogram one could see increase in brightness (assuming the same lens aperture).

@Psyco "Thats why f1.4 on m4/3 is about f2.8 on FF, as FF is 4x the area of m4/3 (without any focal reducer)."

This is quite true. To enlarge the m4/3 lens image circle to cover full frame would mean taking the lens twice as far from the film compared to m4/3 sized circle. Now the lens would be equivalent to a 100 mm f2.8. Only it would focus very very close, so doing this will in fact create a macrotele adapter.

I've learned that this could be a rather tricky concept and could get one easily into heated debates that might last all summer. But it is the basis of the "system" in a system camera. All aspects of the system require consideration, not just the lens.

• Here is another update: Not all my parts came in yet, but enough to do some more rough tests. To my surprise it looks like the coma issue is not present, or at least I can't see it in my GH2's screen. I don't have my SD cards home to analyze a still or video, so the GH2 screen is all I have right now. Also for some reason the flange distance between my Nikon lens and GH2 body seems to decrease slightly when putting the focal reducer in. My other parts should arrive soon. More updates to come.

Here are some iPhone pictures of the screen. Lens used was the Nikon 20mm f3.5 wide open (it's the only lens I had home).

IMG_1372.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    IMG_1371.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • Yes, the squeezed image will be brighter, but on a smaller area - so the same amount of photons on the sensor.

Thats why f1.4 on m4/3 is about f2.8 on FF, as FF is 4x the area of m4/3 (without any focal reducer).

• Actually, the image will be brighter for the same aperture setting on the lens. Reducing the focal length with a focal reducer reduces the f-number and brightens the image. You'll need to decrease the exposure by decreasing the exposure time, or lower the ISO setting.

• @oscillian No, I was using a focal reducer with a larger diameter than the rear lens element.

• @balazer Take a 50mm lens for a big view camera and put it on a m4/3 sensor - you will get the exact same picture when using a m4/3 50mm lens. Image circle has nothing to do with beeing a 50mm lens or not.

The image circle is only limited by the finite glas diameter. The term 50mm focal length referes to the distance of the focal point and THAT determines the angle of light rays getting to a certain point on the focal plane. So, focal length and projection size is all you need to calculate the FoV (iris diameter has nothing to do with that).

So, using a 50mm full frame lens and getting a lens (focal reducer) that squeezes the FF picture down to m4/3 size will give you the exact same picture as using the 50mm lens on a FF camera. And the image will be even the same brightness while using the same f-stop.

(A 25mm m4/3 lens has to be at f1.4 if you want it to be the same brightness as a 50mm f2.8 lens on a FF camera.)

• Am I correct in thinking that coma is due to the focal reducer lens diameter is equal or smaller than the lens aperture size? When stopping down the 50 1.4 in the example above coma disappears, so maybe a focal reducer with a bigger size lens diameter would do the trick?

• @RRRR "Personally, I don´t think optical adjustment is the way to go if you want a wider FOV. And the assumption that the image gets brighter by a wider focal length is just plain wrong.."

Focal length itself does not change brightness, but changing the magnification or size of the image circle does. If you took a lens farther away from the film thus creating a macro adapter, the focal length remains unchanged while magnification and image circle increases. The image is enlarged and becomes dimmer. This same would work the other way around and that is what the focal reducer would achieve.

• Psyco, I encourage you to go study the Wikipedia articles on focal length, image circle, field of view, angle of view, and also f-number while you're at it, because you stated the incorrect definition of f-number in another topic. I think you have an intuitive sense of what's going on, but you're using the wrong terms and expressions.

Forget the sensor for a moment. Hold the back of a lens up to a wall with a bright light in front of the lens, so that you can see the entire image projected by the lens on the wall. The image is a circle, and it's showing the lens's entire field of view. A lens has a field of view, independent of any sensor. If you do this with a 50-mm lens for a big view camera, the view is wide. If you do it with a 50-mm lens for a 35-mm photographic camera, it's a normal view. If you do it with a 50-mm lens for a 1/3-inch CCTV camera, it's a telephoto view. The lens's focal length is one property of a lens, and not the property that describes its angle of view. Angle of view is another property of a lens, and it can be expressed in degrees. The diameter of the image circle is another property, expressed in millimeters.

Adding a focal reducer creates a new lens system with a shorter focal length and a narrower image circle. Adding a focal reducer does not change a lens's angle of view.

Finally, when considering the effect of a sensor, if the sensor is not as wide as the image circle, then the angle of view of the camera system (sensor plus lens) will be narrower than of the lens itself.

• Lots of interesting and good thinking in this thread. The back of the lens is more critical in the optical path than the front of the lens. It is even difficult to make a good quality tele converter and this problem is magnified when trying to create a wide converter at that end. If it is difficult to produce a good quality wide converter for the front of the lens, it would be more so at the back of the lens.

This must be the reason good quality optical adapters for adapting lenses of different flange distances are rare. Canon produced one years ago to fit FD lenses to EOS flange distance, but even they chose to make it a tele converting adapter and not the other way around.

• While this would be great on the gh2, it would be amazing on the BMC.

• Here is a quick update on my findings. I had to order more parts, so most of my testing has gotten delayed until they arrive. Here is what I believe I figured out from what I've seen with my limited testing so far. I believe I found out why @Psyco wasn't getting a full 2x image size, and if has to do with the distance between the back of the lens and the focal reducer. When I get my new parts I can verify this with images. As for the coma issue, it still looks present. once I get the new parts and can verify the 2x image increase, I might either buy a separate coma corrector and put it inline with the focal reducer or just buy a more expensive focal reducer with built in coma correction. These are expensive and I'm not willing to pull the plug on that unless I have a pretty good idea everything else works correctly.

Anyway my goal is to come up with a list of things to buy and where to buy them to make a M4/3 to Nikon F or Canon EF adapter with a built in focal reducer that works. I'll keep you all posted.

• @balazer

The only characteristic of a lens is its focal length expressed in millimeters. The angle of view depends on the sensor/film size. You can have an ultra wide 50mm lens, just use it with a 20cm x 20cm photographic plate (you would need a lens with a big enough image circle so).

Thats why we all refere to a 50mm lens with a full frame sensor in mind - it wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

• I was talking about the lens's angle of view. A lens's angle of view is a property of the lens, independent of what camera it is attached to. A focal reducer generally won't change a lens's angle of view.

Please don't talk about angles of view in millimeters. That's the original source of this confusion. Angles are expressed in degrees.

• @balazer

The angle of view the sensor captures does change with a focal reducer - it changes a 50mm lens that is like a 100mm lens on m4/3 sensor, back to its original full frame FoV when used on m4/3. And that would be awesome ;-)

• There seems to be some confusion...

With the focal reducer added, the new lens system that that you just created absolutely does have a shorter focal length, and also a smaller image circle. The angle of view does not change. Focal length alone does not determine a lens's angle of view.

• @psycho: Very true. That was how Zeiss managed to make their F0.7 lens, by using a focal reducer.

• @Brian202020 I'm curious to here your ideas :-)

@RRRR Its not like a shorter focal length, its more like compressing the FF image onto the smaler sensor - and that would make the image brighter (I got that as one of the expected results of my test).

• Personally, I don´t think optical adjustment is the way to go if you want a wider FOV. And the assumption that the image gets brighter by a wider focal length is just plain wrong..

If anything, this would be the time to resurrect projection adapters for those who want to counter the 2x horizontal crop factor of the bmd and the gh3.

• @Brian202020 Nice! This is what the GH3 will need if the crap factor is greater than the GH2.

• I'm resurrecting this thread to generate interest again. I've read all the posts here and and on other camera forums and also participated in telescope forums. I think I may have stumbled onto solutions to the problems listed in this thread, like the coma problem and why the .5 focal reducer wasn't 2x wider, fingers crossed. My Focal reducer arrived today and will be testing some things in the coming days. I am working the next two days and then heading to the South Dakota film festival for the weekend. I will try to squeeze my tests in before I leave, but if not I will be starting early next week at the latest.