Personal View site logo
voightlander nokton 25mm vs lumix g x vario 12-35
  • any thoughts? I really like the voightlander for low light performance, but curious about the lumix 12-35 stabilizing ability I've seen amazing footage from both lenses, but I was wondering what would be best for normal everyday use. I guess i'm looking for the pros & cons

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • The voigtlander is a legendary m43 lens. Its my #1 most used lens by far. But the Lumix is also a great lens, but i'd moreso just use it for walk around/docu stuff. The stabilization is huge, and although its still a f2.8, thats still not fast enough for lots of natural light situations. Just depends what type of stuff you're trying to film. The voigtlander is very sharp, but a more "natural" looking lens. What people would refer to as "filmic", which of course is very subjective. But the 12-35 is more bitingly sharp and clinical than the voigtlander as all panasonic lenses tend to look.

• i'm thinking of getting both, the voightlander will for sure join my collection, the lumix I more or less want to test out. I think i've seen some unhappy with the Lumix, but they may be because they are using it with an Olympus camera, or just no using it properly.

• Once you get the voightlander, you'll never look back... its my favourite lens too. It's got character.

• Nokton has superb bokeh. It renders colors with a slight yellow tint which appears to some as 'natural' but can easily be graded in for any lens. I found it's fast apertures useless until f1.4, then it gets excellent. But your limited to 25mm and no IS. 12-35mm seems to be a fantastic zoom lens quality wise. I was sceptical about bokeh but it looks good to me.

bokeh test 12-35mm vs. 25mm 1.4 vs 25 0.95 vs 20mm 1.7

http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/25m43/index.htm

and samples of 12-35mm shot on Oly om-d em-5 (sharpness top notch and bokeh much better than expected)

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/08/10/the-panasonic-12-35-f2-8-zoom-lens-review-for-micro-43-the-best-zoom-available-for-micro-43-by-far/

• They are both very deferent lens. F2.8 vs F0.95, prime vs zoom, oss vs none......

Cost wise they are about the same. I have the 25 nokton and it is a very good optic especially in low light, there are some IQ issues in the .95-1.4 range but a lot of those problems will not show up shooting video and I will take that over a bump in ISO. @F2 this guy is sharp!

If I needed a lens for handheld work/ run and gun, then the 12-35mm makes a lot of sense.

Something to think about is picking up a 14-45mm lumix lens and the nokton. You get a wider zoom range and if you need to do the lowlight shots you have the nokton to help out.

• +1 with @bitcrusher totally different lenses for different needs and so very difficult to compare because of this.

If run and gun without stabilisation (rig/stabiliser) is your thing and you need working distance flexibility, then 12-35 is your man. I'd say everyday use is classed as run and gun with variable working distance. I used to use my 14-140 in that way. But then I stopped using it everyday :-)

• For run-n-gun style, Gh3 + 12-35mm kit would be nice as the body seems having better high ISO performance.

• Why the 25mm specifically? It´s nice and all, and If you have a choice get them both, but be sure to check out the 17,5mm as it´s an amazing lens. Sex appeal factor is way, way beyond anything that can come out of the 12-35 and IMO it has a little more to it than the 25mm, although I´ve only used that one briefly. It´s on my lens list though, for sure.

But like many are saying here, these are very different things. Some of the best native m43 primes vs. a good zoom. The 12-35 is a good lens to have, no doubt but it´s really bland in comparison (at similar focal lengths). The 12-35 is sort of clinical (sharp), OIS is good, it has some aperture glitches while zooming, and feels plasticky when zooming, too. So don´t get it unless you plan to use it instead of primes.