Personal View site logo
Kickstarter now more sane
  • Added this to their rules:

• Product simulations are prohibited. Projects cannot simulate events to demonstrate what a product might do in the future. Products can only be shown performing actions that they’re able to perform in their current state of development.
    • Product renderings are prohibited. Product images must be photos of the prototype as it currently exists.

Via: http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/kickstarter-is-not-a-store

So, Digital Bolex won't happen now :-)

Of course, they did so not because of love towards people, they just have bunch of projects that can not deliver the product or deliver something sub par.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • I think I like this.

• Something like this clearly had to happen. No renderings at all seems a little extreme but I guess it's important. I've been tempted but never quite felt comfortable with the idea of a Kickstarter in general.

Recently however, I must admit being intrigued by the idea of using it as a distribution platform for a film, as opposed to a means of raising funds for production. That idea has some legs.

• Hmmm... I think this is a move in the right direction. Though I think they should be a little lenient when it comes to renderings.

Imagine if a company like Red followed this philosophy? There would be a whole lot less frustration for potential customers.

• So I have a question about my anamorphic adapter development:

If i build a working prototype and show the pieces, the assembling process and the image from it on a vimeo video to prove it works, would this be enough to open a project in kickstart to build the final version?

• I believe so. Why not?

I think what they are trying to get away from is multiple renderings with nothing more to show or prove that a "real" product is being worked on. Anyone good in 3D modeling can come up with a decent looking render to push a concept. But what's actually going on in the background is something else. Proof is in the pudding.

• @apefos Yes, the change in the policy is that you have to base it on something real. Photographs and real-world videos are fine - they are talking about computer-generated content/drawings and also about people saying "this is what the product can do" when they are actually saying "this is what it should be able to do/will be able to do".

Real world demos are fine, as are snapshots and demo videos made using the actual equipment etc.

• @apefos Yes, they want a working prototype now, and a demonstration of what the prototype does, or what it produces. There were too many people raising money from a drawing/CG rendering and a theory of how it should work. After they raised the money, they would build the prototype and find out how wrong they were. Kickstarter wants you to build and test a prototype first, then raise money for production.