Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • Regarding quality, I think before the final firmware is out, we can not say anything final. I liked what I saw. The image in the dark was very clear and sharp. Important to me.

• @TwitHerb

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one at this point. It's just a matter of having enough change to get it after my Blackmagic ships (whenever that is...). Hopefully I can get that camera out on a fistful of jobs to make the money back so that I can get a Gh3.

@AKED

The 72 stuff here looks better than what I was seeing in the test footage as well. It shouldn't have been that improved though? 72 is 72? But, it does look a bit better than the stuff I saw.

Which was just muddy and unappealing. >:T

• @AKED Thank you so much for uploading all that footage!

@Kholi Interesting. I guess we have demand for a hack before it even gets released. I am curious to see what UHS-I support could mean for hacked bitrates and stability.

To all the PV team at Photokina2012 - thank you so much for the footage, commentary and interviews.

It is disaapointing that no ability to adjust audio levels during recording (or with finer resolution) has been added, but at least we have a lot of clearly confirmed audio improvements.

This could be the first DSLR that does not require an external recorder, depending on the converter quality (the GH2 was already getting better but was hobbled by the codec). Of course if the AGC is similar to the GH2, it will have to be hacked again for that potential to be realized.

• @kholi,

It's been tough keeping up with you across the various forums...

Based on the stuff you've seen in an undisclosed location ;) , the GH3 is your weapon of choice?

• @AKED

Sorry, I think IPB and AVCHD look better than ALL-I with the current firmware. If you look back in this thread, I watched some unreleased test footage that was shot AVCHD and ALL-I and comparatively the AVCHD was much much better than ALL-I.

• And another one:

1080 50 p 28 Mbpi - AVCHD

• Not sure if this has already been posted please delete if needed

• @kholi Please in detail: What looks better than what?

• Then next:

1080 50p, 50 Mbps MOV

• @AKED

I was gonna ask the same thing about the lens.

Edited for clarity:

The second clip looks great aside from the aliasing/moire on the left side. I definitely think that the IPB looks better than ALL-I in this current firmware.

Thanks for the IPB clips, AKED!

• Guys,

I keep reading about having clean HDMI output for GH3. But doesn't GH2 already have it? Atomos Ninja v1 works well with GH2, and records very nice 25p footage as long as Gh2 is loaded with Panasonic firmware v1.1

• @AKED

Can you comment on what lens and scenario this was filmed with? Was this the 12-35mm F2.8? Also how did you adjust exposure? Did you stop the lens down with fixed ISO or was that with Auto ISO and exposure control?

Thanks for all of your work.

• Here is the second:

1080 25p, 72 Mbps 125 or 200 iso, MOV

• @kholi ,thanks, if we get 11 ll be happy

• @AKED

Did you get to try AVCHD? Will look for IPB links.

• Here is the first:

1080 25p, 72 Mbps 1600 iso MOV

• I am uploading 2 GH3 files to Vimeo. 25p 72 Mbps. From very bright with 1600 ISO to very dark with 125 or 200 ISO (can't remember). And one 1080 50p 50 Mbps

• @sammy

Looked like they didn't do any film mode adjusting, picked a profile and shot. I'll ask today, though.

I hesitate to say if it's major or incremental, because these mean different things to people. To me, major is 12-13 stops (Blackmagic). It dos feel safe to say, however, that it looks like it's around AF100~FS100.

FS100 is 11

AF100 is 10.

Gh2 is 9.

Judge from there me thinks. All I know is that I saw a city shot with a sky in the background and did a double take. Buildings, sky, detail, etc. Very pleasing.

• @Kholi, in terms of DR , the improvement your talking about is it incremental or major with the over all look compared to the gh1/gh2 DR, and regarding the pic profile and being able to go all the way to -5 on the setting, did your source use that to get a more flat pic, thanks

• @vladnik

I did not see any IPB samples. I have a feeling that it wasn't actually enabled, as I was told that quite a few settings weren't accessible just yet.

• @kholi did u see samples from 50mbit ?

• @RatLabProductions

I agree, but I also know that it's hard not to blow things out of proportion when you can't get straight answers OR really good footage. I don't think Bruce Logan did a bad job on the GENESIS short film, I saw a lot of potential in it especially where DR and color was concerned, but it didn't seem to be as good as the out-of-the-box GH2 in regards to overall fidelity.

Seems like the culprit's ALL-I, or the marketing hype of "larger numbers". That 24 AVCHD stuff changed my mind in a matter of a few clips.

If someone had the camera for a day, took it outside and posted up a few naked MTS. I'd be surprised if it didn't change a few people's perspective.

• @kholi

That is what I figured which is more than acceptable for all the pluses I really care about.

Watching people blow everything out of proportion is getting hilarious. Having a solid feeling body is worth the price to me alone.

• @RatLabProductions

SLIGHTLY more moire than GH2. SLIGHTLY. I'm not sure if it's because it wasn't a final camera or not, but I could detect an ever so slight presence of moire in certain areas. It was kinda hard to spot, and I was peeping super hard. haha

I saw it in a very very fine pattern of a female's shirt, but couldn't really see the moire in hard lines/shapes, and those were all over the place.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions