Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @kholi

How was the moire/Aliasing of the viz you saw? That seems the be the only thing I worry about. I could care less about 4:2:2 external recording.

I have a GH3 on pre-order and am hearing early Dec. here in Canada.

• @kellar42

I can't really say, but it's good to know that a lot of what I had an issue with seems to be coming from ALL-I recording. I went back to make sure that all of the footage we've been seeing is from ALL-I and sure enough.

Hey @driftwood and @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Does the 4x4 and 8x8 blocks apply to AVCHD as well or only ALL-I? I don't know how that stuff works, but I remember reading somewhere that encoding this way can help with banding? is that right or wrong?

I swear I pixel-peeped so hard looking for banding in places I knew it would've been but I could NOT see any in the straight-up AVCHD files.

Also, highlight roll off looks great. Lots of blown out lamps etc, not offensive.

• You'd think that there would be a pre-order here in Japan, but I can't find anything. On Panasonic's official Japanese site there is some sort of notice. From what I can translate, they can't announce anything until after photokina.

http://panasonic.jp/dc/gh3/index.html

• I have confirmed with my guy in Panasonic US that the sensor is Panasonic-made, not Sony-made. He was also one of the first to confirm the uncompressed HDMI output the day of the launch.

• @Vitaliy Ahh I see that makes sense then

• @Kholi came around, excellent news, thanks for the report. Not gonna ask how you saw this stuff, hehe...

• What I would like to know is...where is all the GH3 raw footage from photokina? Where Panasonic confiscating SD cards?

Recording is not allowed during normal consumer days.

• What I would like to know is...where is all the GH3 raw footage from photokina? Where Panasonic confiscating SD cards? Apart from the uploaded raw from TramManufaktur...its all very quiet. I like the sony colours myself and looked like sony-like from the current videos.

BTW Im convinced that certain shots in "Genesis" was deliberatly done soft to hide alaising....we know how much the GH community hates alaising and moire ;-D

• @endotoxic

As I know they won't be at Photokina anymore. Today Igor had been on exhibiton, but not tomorrow.

They have their normal life.

• @thepalalias - valid point. And very kind of you to lend the camera(s). Very.

• @AKED @TraumManufaktur @Igorek7

Could the team at photokina take some hi res pictures of the sensor please, only for comparing structure.

Thanks!!!

• The OLPF is not the same, but we can look at the fisical structure and is quiet diferent. The active area of the sensor, and the frame out side of it, is not the same, i assume is not the same anyway. So its no OMD sensor.

• The OMD sensor is mounted on the floating IBIS mechanism; the sensor itself looks pretty generic, and in any event the Bayer array and low-pass filter will often be customized.

If someone would take a few black frames instead of random pictures of stuff around the booth, we could tell pretty quickly whether the read noise is as small as the OMD's, which would be the main thing for telling if there's a real improvement in DR.

• @endotoxic

You are right. I am certain that we can tell everything about which sensor was used by looking at a picture of it.

• When PV community gets ahold of firmware it might get nasty

@kholi YOU BET IT WILL

• It shure does not look the same to the naked eye. Can be similar, maybe.

Take a look :D

If any one have better resolution GH3 picture maybe we can "compare" how it looks, i know its irrelevant but by this images its shure not "the same" sensor. Same tech, maybe.

imageimage

fetch.php.jpg
    652 x 476 - 48K
    omd.jpg
    1600 x 1152 - 266K
  • So do you think that Sony couldn't or wouldn't create the multi-aspect ratio sensor?

Why they'll remake sensor specifically for one camera what won't sell in big numbers?

Also do you think this is actually the OMD sensor or a variation of it?

Can only speculate, I think it must be almost the same. Close.

• I'm quoting myself from another forum, but I saw a TON of footage last night in various scenarios...

I just sat and watched a ton of camera clips from the GH3, straight from camera in various situations. Take it or leave it:

Avchd > all-I. At least with this firmware.

The DR has definitely been increased. I don't know by how many stops but it's there.

The color is much much better.

Couldnt spot Bandung no matter how I peeped. Plenty of situations where it would've showed though.

Don't ask me how or why, but it is a ton more flexible in post than any DSLR out there, and I am pretty sure the AF100 and FS100.

Rolling shutter looks improved. Lots of handheld. Still there but looks better.

Noise is tame and smooth. Looks nice.

Detail in avchd looks like gh2 unhacked.

Lowlight is much better. Confident to use it better.

Slow and fast motion looks great. So does 60P.

When PV community gets ahold of firmware it might get nasty. >

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

So do you think that Sony couldn't or wouldn't create the multi-aspect ratio sensor? Also do you think this is actually the OMD sensor or a variation of it?

• A sony sensor is definitely not bad news y'know. People seem to be under the impression their GH2s will just up and vanish when this starts shipping.

• @mpgxsvcd

No, it is 10 times more simple, Sony sensor was better, hence they saved money and selected it.

Panasonic approach to sensors had always been extremely conservative.

• That EOSHD article was very interesting. He asked some really good questions unlike Will Crockett who just babbled on.

One interesting thing I saw was that the Panasonic guy mentioned this in response to a question about multi aspect ratio.

Inoue: This is a priority for imaging quality, our big priority is keeping that image sensor quality.

Could this mean that the oversized sensor could possibly vignette with some lenses? Not necessarily Panasonic lenses but there are 3rd party manufactures coming into play now. Are they worried that they might have to put software corrections in for these other lenses with the oversized sensor?

• Yeah, that whole stuff about the direction of the camera industry towards connectivity was really interesting. It suddenly makes Samsung more relevant in the camera market. They make everything including their sensors now (unless they switch to Sony too lol).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Actually Panasonic says GH3 has 240hz for EVF but I believe this is line skipping for continuous AF only. Otherwise drops down to 120hz for more detail/accuracy. This is what E-M5 does.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions