Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @thepalalias The footage they released ( genesis ) is filmed by many different lenses ( too much different for me ) and for night shots, wide open ( reffering to the bokeh ) so i can't tell if it is softer. I thook, the footage have to be slighty sharper cause of the number of effective pixel are smaller ( but the new low-pass filter may break the rule ). Pampuri's footage is not a refference for me, because aperture, shutter speed, white balance and more.. are not controlled. Reffering to the footage they released ( all of its ) i think extra DR is in black tones. BUT i take it with care cause nobody know wich picture profile they uses. AND we don't even know if Picture Profiles are on the pre-production unit

and for the moire, i didn't see it but i'll check.

• In this case no news is bad news for hdmi output. When the new Nikons were announced, wasn't full uncompressed hdmi output a selling point? That's a big deal and the fact they're not mentioning it, never mind shouting it from the rooftops, means it won't be in the GH3. IMHO.

• That's a big deal and the fact they're not mentioning it, never mind shouting it from the rooftops, means it won't be in the GH3.

Just look at the number of available GH3 cameras :-) At actual press conference.
    They got new high, even compared to GH2 lauch :-)

Why are you surprised that it is not selling point?

• @thepalalias

I totally get that people want this, that or the other . . . or are worried about various things. That's all fine, I'm interested in 4:2:2 just as much as the next guy. But to conclude that there is no way this GH3 will be worth your money before it is even available . . . indeed, before it is even at final firmware . . . is a bit extreme in my book. People are trashing it before it really even exists. Apparently there are only ten GH3s in existence right now . . . hardly enough to pass full judgement, that's all I'm saying. Be concerned. Push Panasonic to implement as much as they can before release.

I guess some folks are IMO a bit . . . over invested emotionally? I've already been through primary and most of secondary education, I've lived through enough drama for one lifetime, thanks. All the complaining and speculating just makes the threads difficult to read.

• @thepalalias

I hope you turn out to be right about it turning to be better, but there is nothing definite about it >being a "definite all-around better camera". There are many promises and many questions.

We are anxious for the answers to those questions.

Sure, you're right. Nothing is etched in stone as yet. But we've only had a few video samples to go on at this point and also a bit of mis-information (or maybe a better term is non-verified) floating around. I personally am waiting to see more "real world" examples from others who can verify or discredit some of the confusing info (like whether they cripled the HDMI out "again") we've been hearing before I pass any judgement. In the mean time I'm trying my best to give Panachronic...I mean Panasonic the benefit of the doubt.

EDIT: What B3Guy said. :-)

• @thepalalias

also, you forgot one more important question:

is more moire of an issue?

• They always never give you EXACTLY what you want. Granted we want it all, but this is something that's been a long time wanted and the fact they don't mention it or the reps don't know is a massively bad sign.

OK, $20 donation to personal-view.com IF there is FULL UNCOMPRESSED HDMI OUTPUT. I feel more than safe making this bet and would happily lose.

• @CRFilms

Who'll rise the bets?

We could take this Panasonic manager hostage and held it in secret place, chopping him piece by piece, until you'll get multiaspect sensor, 444 recording and clean 444 hdmi. :-)

Good plan?

• Let's do it.

• @b3guy I must have psych. picked that one up from you because I added the question ("moire more of...") to the wiki right before I read your comment. :)

Anyway, I know that there is more drama in this required. But we both agree about the value of mature crtiticism at this stage.

On a lighter note, it was amusing reading the slight mistype of my SN in your last post. Made me smile. :) (Edit: fixed now. But still laughing at the later parody you made. :)

• @B3Guy @Vitaliy_Kiselev So... I have got to get far away from you guys for a while. ;)

I am more of a carrot guy than a stick guy. How about the Panasonic guy that fixes this gets a new symphonic work in his honor?

• No, they skimped out when they made their sensor the same as the "G" line.

• How about the Panasonic guy that fixes this gets a new symphonic work in his honor?

Will it be big and performed by real orchestra?

I think we could throw this offer at interview :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Okay, put me on record: if Panasonic can deliver that at a sub $2k price in a short time-frame, I will make it happen. :)

I think I could either arrange that (at a medium to small concert hall) or a recording of it at one of the top 3 studios in L.A., but not both.

I can make it happen without additional funds, but the result might be better if I did a KickStarter.

Just to clarify, would the "clean 4-4-4 recording" be internal or via HDMI or other output jack?

• I'm serious. I'll even amend it and make it 4:2:2 output. Happily lose $20 for that, but I feel safe making that donation.

Any other takers?

• As many others mention, they have priced this camera too high. Sure they will make good sales with the price at $1300, but by this time next year it will be $999 for the body.

As mentioned by Panasonic execs, they plan on keeping up with the semi-pro market because there is still a profit margin there, unlike televisions and phones.

• @thelpalpasilas

dyslexia is a very real, very serious and frustrating crime that is to be punished severely. It is no smiling mater.

• @tgoode Of course there is a profit margin, this cam is two days old, and this topic have already 31 pages !

• To force panasonic to give us 4:2:2 via HDMI is easy.

We catnap their pets and threaten to shoot them with Canons

• We catnap their pets and threaten to shoot them with Canons

No, no, It's too cruel. And with Canon... No... I think chopping one manager will be enough.

• Starts going further away to the "Island of Non-Violent Solutions"

• With just 1 camera at a major global show, a FW 0.4, it appears the GH3 may not be far enough in the development cycle for the SW part. A 0.4 release means they only have 3 or 4 point releases for bug fixes and/or adding features and it also means the product is only at the beginning of the system test/verification cycle. I seriously doubt the GH3 is ready for full production ramp in 7 weeks. But then large corporations are known to give birth to babies prematurely.

• @ghkqn

All prerelease GH2 cameras also had 0.3 version as I remember, after this I do not know any versions before 1.0.

• Another thought. The GH3 promises timecode, which is great. but how to synch it with other equipment if there is no tc-in? There is no dedicated plug and the hardware design seems to be finished. Hence, there are three possibilities to get ltc in with firmware:

• the remote plug
    • usb
    • wifi (with special hardware for other end of connection)
  • To quote Mr. Bloom himself on his first-hand review of the GH3 prototype... "This really is a great new tool for us filmmakers. Just remember though, this is a tool…not a religion."

So, please Excuse me for today's Sermon:

"Life is short- love the one you're with...

Love the hacked GH2 you have today, as I did my Sony DCR VX 1000 back in the day.

There would be no higher love than 28Mbps/VBR without YOUR efforts, YOUR commitment, and it's a long ways off before we know what we really got with this cheap new "hussy" sensor who just strutted into town.

So look in the mirror, and ask yourself: IF ... you Cheat on the GH2 hack with the BMCC M43 for 24p video or another body for FF stills, will she respect you in the morning? Will you respect you?

Remember, the GH3 "says" she will DO THINGS at 60p the others won't let you...

Unless...

Well... (cough, hack, hack)... Excuse me for expressing my Personal-View "

I can imagine the Marketing vs Engineering Discussions.

Engineering: So, What are Panasonic's Priorities for this product line? Putting Extra money for improved in-house Sensor development of existing GH2 sensor, 4:2:2 and IBIS?

Marketing: No... Dumb Americans like shiny new things. It has to cost more, so make it bigger and cost between the GH2 and 7D. Why not start with New Magnesium body, nearly waterproof, new batteries and grips, Oled Screen, wifi, headphone jack, bunch of new electronics features, etc...

Engineering: You sure about the sensor, and have you seen the Hack?

Marketing: Yeah, people won't notice the sensor bit, just run with the cheaper ones for better yield- and price the body and lens at $1299 each, so we can get 2 sold at the higher price...

Engineering: But we CAN improve on the existing sensor and data rates with the same money, and pay a couple of hack testers...

Marketing: Forget that- we got the hack buzz already and now the Zacuto Revenge Shootout buzz going. Secretary, do you know if Francis Ford Coppola said yes to our offer to Film a Short?

Sectretary: No, he said he was slightly embarrassed and would accept nothing short of $2 million- only because of the drought and weak grapes yield... but he said his daughter was available to direct at a discount rate...

Marketing: No, we could get Ron Howard's daughter if we wanted to go that route. Who will work cheapest?

Sectretary: Bloom said he'll do it, but he's already been paid by Canon to be at the launch show.

Marketing: Yeah, that'll work and get that old Zacuto test administrator guy too... "Logan... Bruce Logan"- never heard of him, but as long as Bloom's on it, the word will spread...

(all in jest)

Conclusion: IF Panasonic doesn't consider the GH line as anything different than a TRENDY consumer still product that now has some similar features from the consumer TM700 from 2 years ago (which shot 1080 60p, second only to Sanyo whom they absorbed), and has similar checkboxes next to modern Sony stills cams feature list, we shouldn't hold our breath.

I'm expecting the AF200 with 4:2:2 output real soon with a smiling Jan, while a new crop of 4K consumer camcorders (other than JVC) will be coming soon in January 2013-NAB 2013, so the new feature chase can begin again, with sub-broadcast bitrates.

Once the buzz shifts to 4K at CES (since 3D fizzled), I expect we'll only then get 4:2:2 on the GH4 or GH5 at 1080p, but not any sooner- no matter how much we or Phil Bloom pleads over a $1300 body.

It's late here, try to laugh and have a good day all.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions