Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • 2-4 more stops?!

• @rajamalik Battery is not still the same. It increased by over 500 maH (don't remember the exact number off the top of my head).

But if it works as well with the ATC 15,000 maH add-on as the GH2 seems to be (still testing) then we could have a way around that. So far indications are that it should easily run for well over 5 hours - I have not had a chance to test it much yet.

But with the grip and 2 of the new batteries we should be looking at at least 3:30 to 4 hours or more.

As far as the higher bitrates: I think they are better for the hacks. Panasonic is doing better than their competitors at 50P and 60P (28 mbps Sony?) and these bitrates are stable. We cannot even get dependable spanning except on a very specific range of cards - so unless Panasonic was ready to release specially branded cards, raising the bitrates too far would have alienated a lot of users that could not get it to work with their cards.

And let us not forget how good SMBU v1 looked about a year ago at very similar GOP1 bitrates.

BUT, if VK can have similar success with the GH3 as the previous ones, higher bitrates for those willing to work at it should be possible again. I think that may be the way to go.

Honestly, I think there is much more reason to be outraged about the sensor change. Why did they stop using multi-aspect? It is very, very frustrating.

• @rajamalik +1 4:2:2 in camera and 10 bit. The price with 12-35 is crazy I hope it drop very soon.

• @Tobsen, there gotta be an effective way of letting the GH3 team hear and know about the need for 4:2:2. That's something I was betting that they will/must have on the GH3.

• @HillTop1 Fastest way: find somebody that consulted them and make him our door opener to Panasonic. Emails etc don't work. They said they talked to a number of GH2 users and tried to incorporate their suggestions into the GH3. Who were those people? Raise your hands, please! Another way: social media?

• @Toben, @mrgroove said he did. So @mrgroove if we can get a petition going for 4:2:2, can you relay that info to the GH3 team that it's a must have?

• Can we add 720p 120fps to that? Even if it's only a burst mode. It's really a must have for all the sports I shoot.

• @mrgroove

I totally overlooked your comment about you having been in close contact with Panasonic and gave them some ideas. What did you suggest? 4:2:2 as well? If so, what did they say?

Are you still in contact with Panasonic????

• @christianhubbard +1 even 120fps is not so up to date for today. 250 fps was already implemented on the Sony hdr-ax2000e (must say had bad quality)

• @christianhubbard 720p 120fps...would be nice as well. let's see how many people jump on board.

4:2:2

720p 120fps

peaking

• @thepalalias i agree if we get succeed with 15000 mah battery it would sure be the one to take in seriously. for production we need at least 6 hours of battery backup. company like panasonic must realize this. sony has 12000 mah batteries. most third party batteries for sony works amazing.canon 5ds and 7ds do have backup third party batteries for 8 hours continuous shooting. yes regarding the sensor its so true. do you know the d600 nikon has an hdmi uncompressed 10bit 4:2:2 out?? panasonic is actually very slow compared to its competitors.

i suspect still the rolling shutter problem is not reduced or solved. i know even sony fs700 has rolling shutters when it comes to pan. but it is very minimal. gh2 has it like a something from mars. did u heard any news about an improvement on this side.

• @Kihlian sony fs700 is gonna add its new firmware with 240 fps 1080p and 4k 24fps 25fps and 30fps support.

• @Tobsen as u said we should at least have 720p modes @ 120fps in gh3.

• @Manu4Vendetta that's really impressive at 1600 and 3200 iso. Great low light performance no matter how obnoxious the chick is.

I REALLY want to see some back to back comparisons of the gh2 and gh3, especially in scenario's where clearly the gh3 is going to kick the gh2's ass. Color, DR, Low-light, slo motion, 11 steps, huge amounts of customization...

4:2:0, the price, and the new sensor are the biggest disappointments for me as well, and I don't think we should give up on figuring out some way of getting to 4:2:2 from Panasonic. It's an absolute must. If they figured out a way for clean hdmi I wouldn't mind forking over the money in a pre-order. However, I'm still very impressed with all of the features of this camera. It might not be the camera I want, but it is a significant upgrade otherwise, and if it's hack-able, there's absolutely no reason to not choose it over the gh2.

• @rajamalik that was actually @christianhubbard s addition the the inofficial petition list ;) Good to hear you agree!

• I can totally understand why some people consider some features "must have" features. For me, it is aliasing, for others it is focus peaking, zebras, and so on.

IMHO focus peaking is a nice feature, but even well implemented on a big external monitor it really doesn't help as it shows too much that is "in focus". I kind of use it for a quick DOF gauge. But you have to ask a basic question, which is if you have focus assist, and you still can't focus, well, that's a bigger problem. It means you can't tell what is in focus.

Ideally, you should have zone peaking, where the center spot is red, the near field is blue and so on. But just drawing boxes around objects on a tiny screen, well, OK. If it helps, but doesn't seem like a deal breaker--if you have trouble focusing, basically you need a bigger screen.

Now False Color, that would be a very nice feature, although you can get by with zebras.

I predict that even with the smaller sensor, the camera will be a success, because it will appeal to a wider market that is not interested in hacks but ease of use. And here I think the sensor was, shall we say "simplified" as part of marketing to a wider audience. If the GH3 really does not have better IQ, which so far it doesn't, well, why shouldn't I just spend my money on a Marshall monitor or something that will really make my vid better, like lights or rigs. And if the IQ really is better, well, can't wait for the price to go down, because realistically, it isn't going to be a big difference. It's even remotely possible that the hacked GH2 will just be a teenie weenie bit sharper then the GH3 with the fabulous work of the people here and the larger sensor.

• @RyanPW it seems there will be hacks for the GH3 as well so soon, expect this fall. but, it wasnt so much improved than the GH2 only few modes up. 60p 50p then all iframe 72mbit for 24p, better auto focus, slightly improved low light performance. nikon and canon started to release all their cameras with 10bit 4:2:2 uncom hdmi port. nikon d600 d800 d4 canon 5d mk3 sony a99 sony vg900 and so on. still panasonic is in the last row (lost row).

• Let's not turn this into a Panasonic vs its competitors. That current spec list is already good. But there're somethings that the GH3 should have must have like; 4:2:2 uncompressed out.

• I think if we could get the french guy who made the video to raise these concerns @PhillipBloom any chance you could raise some of the issues we're having here with Panasonic, I really don't understand why they didn't consult with the likes of vitaliy and driftwood on this....

• @DrDave Gotta say it...that was the best thing Ive read in this thread.

• @rajamalik -1 for false info.

• @DrDave I agree. Personally, I don't need peaking so much, but many people want it. So I through it in again. I am not a tech guy, but peaking and zebras (which I really would like to see also) shouldn't be a big deal ti implement, right? 4:2:2 is my main concern.

• @rajamalik I wouldn't pay a 1000+ more on a body just for 4:2:2, and that's the only thing going for those cameras right now. If the GH3 is going to be hacked, I don't see why the native mbit that panny has chosen to allure to most consumers is a problem for people like us with better cards. Not to mention those Nikon and Canon cameras don't have 1080 60p 50p, that's majorly alluring to someone who would like their films in slow motion while still being able to be played on a large screen (note how many people mentioned how good Genesis looked on a big screen, I think that counts for something). The canon 5d mk3 is ludicrous I wouldn't buy it if it were a 1500 dollars cheaper, the only other cameras that are of interest are from Sony, and both are a whole lot more expensive than the GH3.

The only one that I personally am interested in other than the GH3 is the Sony A99, because I'm also a photographer, and taking pictures with the vg900 is ludicrous.But at that price point, I think Sony has lost me. I don't own many lenses that would be good on full frame, and I also have a lot of other equipment like sound equipment, other lenses and lights to think about. Unless you're making bank and willing to go all in on a camera that's going to be marginalized in the next 2 years, it's a waste of money in my opinion. I think anyone who can afford it, and who isn't interested in photography, the Sony's probably have the upper edge, but otherwise I think the GH3 is again the best hybrid with the most potential, IF they figure out that 4:2:0 problem their having.

• @kihlian The price with the 12-35 is justified and I was expecting it to be higher. You realize you are getting 1300$ lens with that cam body right?

• 4:2:2 but not only in the hdmi out, but also in the internal mov and mp4 compressions.

Focus peaking would be great too. Is there a histogram? Then you can work with that instead of zebra.

Low light looks much better than with the GH2.

Hope the GX2 will have a stabilized sensor like the Olympus OM-D EM5. That one is exceptional, but the video features of that camera are unusable.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions