Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • May I am missing something .. from what I read there is nothing to make me think that I will get a better image from a GH3 compared to a patched GH2.

Am I missing something .. or am I well advised to just wait and see if Vitaliy can reverse engineer

• Very funny Derek. I bought my GH-1 way back when it was just released. I've since discovered this community and hacked it running @ 50mbps... I love it. I also have the AF100 and since pana keep asking for feedback I've been harping on 8bit 422 and AF100 becoming king of 8 bit. I've been waiting for GH-3 and woulda thought you guys would be ecstatic at I-Frame and 50mbps recording. But I hear disappointment... I'm going to ask a simple question after all this. Is it better to buy a GH-3 or 2 and why... (there is obviously more going on than it seems to the casual observer)

• Aka Don't cry for me AR GH3 NTINA ? LOL

• disapointing so far but let's wait for the official announcement later today. Would it still be worth to upgrade from a GH1? I was looking to buy a gh2 then heard about gh3 so now I am not sure the extra $ is worth... I use the GH mainly for video purpose

• what time will be the official launch today?

• ...dont see a lot of reasons to upgrade from an "old" GH2 to GH3 if this are the "final" specs and price. Its a better camera? Shure. Worth spending a lot of money to upgrade: NO.

• Tapeless panasonic products that i had my hands on have only had one - avchd container, so I was curious if this multi container option brought something else new. Thanks for clarification.

• magnesiun body is expensive for waterproof system. nikon and canon magnesium body are expensive

• I'm a little let down.... Maybe I was putting a lot of excitement into utilization of the wifi as a potential streaming wrapper.

Like others have said, lots of incremental updates that I probably could have tipped for, had the body price be ~$1000 ish.

On top of that though, I might as well wait and see anyway - both for a price drop and what magic VK can work on it if he plans to go for it.

• CNN: The electronics company Panasonic said Monday that it was suspending operations at three plants in China after two of them were damaged amid violent anti-Japanese protests set off by the clash between Beijing and Tokyo over a group of small islands in the East China Sea.

..... Probably not effecting Lumix cameras (new GH3s, G5s....) production, right?

• @inqb8tr

It is same compression. Just different containers, as in all previous Panasonic products.

• Let me re-phrase, those 3 containers, do they hold same compression and you choose depending on your convenience, or there is something else different specific for each container, like codec, bitrate, anything else..

• Like what?

I don't know, some other codec..

• GH3 was a good dream, but people keep on complaining. Lets wait and see.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Ok sorry. I didn't realize.

• or there is something else inside that mov

Like what?

• @mpgxsvcd

Just wait few hours for my opinion :-)

• "....in MP4, MOV and AVCHD"

What, just 3 containers for h264 or there is something else inside that mov?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Please VK, I beg you to put your efforts to make the iDynamic in GH2 to be set on/off in manual mode instead of just auto mode by the camera. Why would we need the GH3 wide dynamic range if this feature could be enabled on GH2? I believe this is the only missing feature in the firmware hack. Consider a hard try on it.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

What is your opinion of the GH3 so far? Are you interested in the new features like Wifi, Electronic shutter modes, increased dynamic range? Do you use your GH2 just for video or for stills as well?

• GH3 is too expensive and seems not so different from G5 beside the appearance and buttons (and Wi-fi things..). The latter might be a good candidate for low budget video production if VK can enable the manual mode of video.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"Only right mode is electronic shutter, full resolution jpeg, 24fps :-)"

I like the sound of that then. For pictures of the moon I need to have no shutter vibrations and high speed jpgs with lots of dynamic range.

The GH2 was no good for this.

P1280598_2.jpg
    4603 x 2589 - 4M
  • @Tobsen

Nope, focal length multiplier 2x is just m43 2x crop stuff.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions