Personal View site logo
Panasonic G3 official topic

More details at - http://www.43rumors.com/continually-updated-panasonic-g3-announced/

To be short:

* Less buttons (you do not need AEL, right?).
    * No eye sensor (You like play quest games enabling EVF via touch menu?)
    * Noisier sensor compensated by math (read - more details blur).
    * Intelligent resolution (read - more sharpness accentuating even minor flaws).
    * And this magic button, ouch forget how it is called, something like Super-Druper-Auto-Everything-Intelligence-Not-From-This-Planet.
    I think that it decides then you must take your pictures and prevents you to take any picture if it does not like this sour mugs ;-)
    But I may misread something.

Overall, looks pretty cool for young girl.
    Panasonic, why we don't see it in pink? Look at Pentax!

It'll be so better!
  • 59 Replies sorted by
  • lol, my thoughts exactly
  • Panasonic is just very afraid of S&S (Sony and Samsung).
    They try to copy some parts and approached of their cameras :-)
    And all this having big advantage in internal construction, space available to improve handling (with same size body), etc.
  • More M4/3 is a good thing.

Isn't it?
  • Well... that makes GH series relatively more masculine... sorta. Definitely I'm not getting G series for photo. There are better alternatives. Hopefully they don't kill buttons on GH3.

Seriously... how many of us getting GH1 or GH2 because of small size? I'm not. GH body + adapter + lens is not compact. I don't mind getting bigger GH3 for more and better features such as built-in ND filters and 3.5mm input jack. Yeah bigass battery... PLEASE!!!

Sony... really who cares. Their NEX lens lineup is a joke. Samsung has a clear roadmap for future lenses. They have the best lenses in mirrorless realm. But their bodies not so good. No freaking idea why Panasonic trying to copy S&S...
  • >No freaking idea why Panasonic trying to copy S&S...

I'll give you that idea. One word. Money.
  • One interestinc citing from Panasonic managers:
    "Everyone will recommend a Canon or Nikon, just as with travel zoom everyone will recommend a Panasonic TZ because it's strongly established. It's recommendations that are driving the sales of DSLRs the same way they are with the TZ. "

I'll add my two cents - I do not recommend current TZ line if you need best value for your money.
    Buy Samsung or something else.
  • Another news. Lumix 25.4 is approved by Leica. $1000 a piece? I wish that was 35mm lens instead of 25mm. But wait... isn't Canon EF 50.8 around $100?

I have no plan to buy expensive m43 lenses... until the cloud clears. Maybe 14-140 if used price drops more. Hate using ETC on 14-42 just to get 110mm.
  • >Seriously... how many of us getting GH1 or GH2 because of small size? I'm not.
    I also wish the GH2 were bigger. even with same features. it's just feels so f#$@ing small. I'm dying for someone to realease GH2 battery grip to get a bit bigger and heavier and get descent life. I mean, I'm buying the samyang 35mm which is huge and I dig it! that's a real lens, not like 14mm:) I hope pana does not keep shrinking all their cameras damn it! look at pentax!
  • Arrrrggggg... the small battery. It dies like premature stuff...
  • Ok... enough ranting of the day.

The only good thing I'm waiting is... GH2 hack. And the EVF eyecup. Go Vitaliy!!! Go rigs!!!!
  • I just picked up my uncle's K10d pentax again after VK post on the K20d, and my god, it felt like holding a real camera again compared to GH2!
  • if it weren't for GH series good video mode, they would have been epic failures
  • you meant GH13 hack :)
  • >you meant GH13 hack :)
    is the pope catholic? :) hehe
  • Sounds disappointing.
  • M43 is still the best in video among mirrorless cameras. Lumix 20.7 pancake, 7-14, 14-140 are excellent lenses. The upcoming Lumix 25.4 sounds great. The rumored M.Zuiko 12mm 2.0 and 50mm 2.0 sound great, too. But the future of m43 system... nobody knows. But does it really matter? Some still make awesome photos w/ film bodies. We have diehard GH13 owners who refuse to sell. Actually I like GH2 a lot. I just wish Panasonic doesn't kill the line.
  • Don't forget 1080i only at 17mb.

This cam needs to die by fire.
  • LOL...

I just hope the GH3 does NOT follow these turdy trends.

Panasonic.. Hmm, I swear, sometimes I think they created the GH1 by shear luck and completely by accident. :D

Hmm, $599.99, at least they got the price right this time... Well, closer to right anyway!

• Hi Stonebat,
    I bought Gh2 , one of the reason was small size. I get use to carry 3 cameras in my bag, my hasselblad for pro photo, my video and digital photo camera for documentation. Now i dont need to take video camera with me.I travel a lot so the gh2 is ideal solution . Put 14mm on it and you can take anywhere. Size is very important, i wish they can make even smaller and better cameras.
  • >Size is very important, i wish they can make even smaller and better cameras.

I clearly imagine the following marketing slogan:
    "Buy our new super pancake lens. Camera is included for free. It is so tiny... You hardly notice it on the back of your lens."
  • Something like that would be great.
    Honestly if you are carying a hasselblad, a tripod. You want something small for video.
  • Yes, but the iq for stills is very impressive, especially OOC jpg, they are different class to Samsung and as good if not better than anything Sony have to offer. Nex and a55 are pretty poor for video with settings,aliasing, moire, and skew-RS, therefore they will probably be very worried about Panasonic G3. Its small, light, touchscreen, excellent video(for consumer) excellent OOC jpgs even at iso3200, swivel screen, fast as GH2, etc etc. I think Canon, Nikon, Sony and Samsung will be shocked at what Pana has done with G3. Also be interesting to see if the video is 1080i with progressive embedded ala the GH1 ie sensor is 25p. OK bit rate is low again, but for Euro people this may be a better option than GH2 too. Hats off to Pana with G3, a 24mb 1080i would of been really cool but they cant because they held back on GH2, except for 24p.
  • VK Wrote: I clearly imagine the following marketing slogan:
    "Buy our new super pancake lens. Camera is included for free. It is so tiny... You hardly notice it on the back of your lens."

There already is that. Well, in prototype anyway.

• It is amazing, i want one.
  • You can have mine. I would have no use for something like that.