Personal View site logo
10mm F2.8 ED Samyang lens

Available at:

Samyang Optics company is thrilled to invite all participants of Photokina fairs held in Cologne to visit our stand no. A025 located in the hall 2.1. We will introduce a prototypical version of the Samyang 10mm 1:2.8 ED AS UMC CS lens.

Samyang 10mm 1:2.8 ED AS UMC CS is a prototype of the ultra wide-angle prime lens designed for use with cameras fitted with APS-C/DX sensors. Its extremely short focus length and rectilinear imaging system ensure extra wide angle of view amounting to 110 degrees (~107 degree for Canon version). As a result the lens is a comprehensive tool for architecture and landscape shooting. New Samyang 10mm 1:2.8 ED AS UMC CS is similar to the 35mm system lens with 15mm or 16mm focal length in the case of Canon APS-C cameras.

All details concerning the optical construction of the lens and available mounts will be published at a later date. The lens will be introduced for sale either at the end of 2012 or in the first days of 2013.

• 40 Replies sorted by
  • This is awesome news. Hopefully it won't be long before they release the Cine version and hopefully it come in at a reasonable price. Maybe in the range of the 8mm or the 14mm at around $300-400???

I guess the real test as to the value of this glass will be how it performs in terms of edge sharpness and handling of flares.

Now if Samyang can hurry up and get us a f/1.4 50mm Cine lens and maybe a 100mm f/1.8 we'll have a very nice lens kit.

Do you guys think Samyang will ever attempt a manual focus zoom lens?

• Looks like it could be a good piece of glass for the BMC...

• Too wide for me on GH2 use. If i'm gonna get a superwide i'd want it to be a zoom like the panny 7-14mm. I feel like 12mm is the sweet spot for GH2

• @mythmaker I checked their Facebook site and there they said that they are not planning on developing any new zoom lenses at the moment. I think we'll see 85mm cine first, than a 50mm and some specialty lenses (like the tilt & shift lens posted by Vitaliy a couple of days ago).

• I don't find it that useful on the GH2. I'd love to have an insanely wide prime, this thing is really wide but certainly not insane. Probably it won't be cheaper than a 12mm Hyperprime, so I'd rather go with this.

• I have the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 but there have been plenty of times when I wished I had an extra stop. Also, at the 10mm end there is quite a bit of distortion especially if there are any elements in the frame that have distinctive vertical lines. I'd be curious to see how little distortion this lens from Samyang has when it comes out.

• I asked Rokinon (Which is identical to Samyang as far as I understand) on Facebook about new wide mft lenses and they answered "Yes, stay tuned...". Maybe they will be offering this 10mm in mft as well...

• according to: http://www.samyang-lens.co.uk/news.html

"Samyang 10mm f/2.8 ED AS UMC CS has been delayed, and is envisaged to be released in Q1-2014"

• Lens is announced now.

Samyang has introduced a focused development program to obtain the highest possible optical parameters and reduce the product's size at the same time. These efforts resulted in the latest version of Samyang 10mm 1:2.8 ED AS NCS CS lens featuring parameters and capabilities comparable to the best wide-angle prime and zoom lenses on the market.

The new Samyang 10mm 1:2.8 ED AS NCS CS is an ideal tool for indoor, architecture and landscape photography. It provides an exceptionally wide field of view of up to 109.5 degrees and rectilinear image mapping function. Owing to a fast f/2.8 lens speed you can also use the lens in low light conditions as well as sports photography and photojournalism purposes. The product's optics comprises 14 elements divided into 10 groups, this includes 2 aspherical AS lenses and one lens made of extra-low dispersion glass. During development works on the prototype version the lens was fitted with an embedded lens hood which ensures a more compact size and reduces its weight by approximately 160 grams*.
    * - applicable to a version with Canon E mount

NCS (Nano Coating System)

The Samyang 10mm 1:2.8 ED AS NCS CS is the first Samyang Optics lens to feature a nano crystal anti-reflection coating system. This technology provides a lower reflection factor than (U)MC system as the coating is now applied more evenly on the surface of the lens. Benefits brought by the nano crystal layer include better light transmission, increased resistance to reflections and higher contrast, and all of this translates into supreme optical resolution of the lens.

• The lens will be available from the end of January 2014.
    • The suggested retail price for the Nikon version is £469.99 inc VAT
    • All other fittings carry a suggested retail price of £429.99 inc VAT
    skier6.jpg
    388 x 380 - 22K
  • Please explain to me the logic of buying this , or the 16mm, in native m43 mount, versus buying it in either nikon or canon, then using either a dumb adapter or a speedbooster as well ? Seems kinda of dumb to buy a m43 mount version of a manual lens with aperture control. Am I missing something ?

• Please explain to me the logic of buying this , or the 16mm, in native m43 mount, versus buying it in either nikon or canon, then using either a dumb adapter or a speedbooster as well ?

It is just simpler, as most people are invested in their system. Plus optical quality is always better compared to adapters, even good ones.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Plus optical quality is always better compared to adapters, even good ones.

Why's that ? I'd need a little more explanation to be convinced of that pov. The eos/nikon to m43 dumb or aperture controlled adapters have no glass, they simply adjust the flange distance. Plus the advantages of having a lens for 2 systems, since most of us are invested in 2 systems, as well as the reselling advantage of owning a nikon or canon version.

• Why's that ? I'd need a little more explanation to be convinced of that pov. The eos/nikon to m43 dumb or aperture controlled adapters have no glass, they simply adjust the flange distance.

It is little offtopic here, search here or on lensrentals. They did tests how dumb adapters can affect quality.

• Man that's a long ways off!

@kurth To be short, light bouncing around inside the adapter and infinity focus problems.

• Fair points about dumb adapters, but in reality, the image degradation is pretty much a non-issue in most cases if you use a matte box and flags (in my experience).

On the other hand: Speedboosters are technically adapters and they actually increase image sharpness. I know, I'm a speedbooster fan boy right now, but these things are seriously a game changer.

This lens becomes:

Regular SB @ 0.71x = 7.1mm f2

or

BMPCC SB @ 0.58x = 5.8mm f1.6

• Very wide lenses are quite tricky in flange distance. The tiniest tilt can spoil your image.

• Lens announced officially

Mounts that will be available - Canon EF and M, Nikon AE, Pentax K, Fujifilm X, Sony both A and E, m43.

Price is around $529 (500 EUR).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1039937-REG/rokinon_10m_mft_10mm_f_2_8_ed_as.html

Wide open it is not very sharp. In fact, we’re much more pleased by its performance when stopped down to f5.6-f8. On the Pentax K3, the lens resolves a ton of detail. Again, this makes it very specialized and perfect for the architecture and landscape shooters out there.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/04/20/review-rokinon-10mm-f2-8-pentax-k/#.U1ORnrHIOUk

cage21.jpg
    800 x 467 - 62K
  • I so wish that Samyang would design more lenses specifically for MFT. Their 7.5mm fisheye is a little gem -- emphasis on little. I'm sure they could make a 10mm for MFT that's half the size of the current offering.

• @AdamT

Of course, they can, but I think they have little concerns with market volume for such lenses.