Personal View site logo
Apocalipse Now hack, question about 2k Mjpeg
  • I just hacked the GH2 with Driftwood Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 Soft' - setd, my footage is aerial made with Panny 7-14 at 1/250 to 1/500 shutter speed and my subjects are usually full of small details, I normally have to stabilize it and that crops out some pixels from the unstabilized shot. So mjpeg 2k for me it's good because the extra pixels are what I need to render a good 1080p at the end of the process.

What should I know about mjpeg compared to avchd ? pros - cons.. Is the camera more stable in mjpeg or avchd ? or there is no difference.. ? Do I still need to record a short clip after long shots ? Is it better for grading workflow ? I shoot 80% daylight aerial and 20% low light interiors, how is it with interiors compared with avchd ?

Thanks

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • Mjpeg is limited to 30 fps and is lower quality than AVCHD. It is most interesting for people shooting anamorphic since you can change the recording resolution.

• so what else can mjpeg do that avchd can't ? thanks a lot M.

• I only use it sometimes for anamorphic shooting. When you have one of those cheap 2x stretch anamorphics like I do you can change the aspect ratio to 4:3 not the default 16:9 so the picture is not super stretched.

Anyway, The few times I've used it it did have a lesser quality compared to avchd. It is noticeable specially when shooting in low light. Much more noise compared to avchd. Try it out indoors and see if it looks ok to you.