Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @all and developer

cbrandin44mAQ4+ Nebula 444 soft 6 GOP (44mb/s)

Since I would love to have less sharpening with panasonic lenses but aswell less mb/s for smaller files, I did combine the cbrandin44mAQ4 hack + Nebula 444 soft.

I had no problems so far with recording and on my TV it did look quiete nice, but maybe some of the developer or more expirienced ones here could have a look at this hack file to be sure I dont mess something up...please. I just did overwrite the settings in Nebula 444 soft 6 GOP with the available settings in cbrandin44mAQ4.

Thank you

setd.ini
  • Just playing around with the Apocalypse Now Drew soft

• NEW!!!

I released 3rd candidate of following Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 AN.

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate3 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix' - Setd.ini - Released 11/09/2012

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/84152#Comment_84152

While improving, I am going to develop this in my thread so that it may not become the obstacle of Nick. :-)

• @alphonse I do not think you get the most out of the matrix if you to a particularly low bitrate, but did you try using 24L?

Personally, if I want really low bitrates, I look for settings designed around matrices that do well with less data. You can decide for yourself what you like, of course, but there are several options like Sanity 4.1 or Sanity 5 (even lower bitrate) and some people like "Natural" and then there is "No Adverse Effects"...

Anyway, with too low a bitrate on a high detail matrix, you might get some unexpected artifacts if the scene detail gets too high. But you can always try, and see. :)

• This hack looks very nice, great work wow !

One question:

• Is it possible to get such a hack with lower mbit for the hobby user who dont want big files ?

I did test the soft version and it has around 88mbs, if Iam not wrong...is it possible to see 444 soft with similar mbs like the vanilla 40-45mbs hack ? i.e. cbrandin44mAQ4

Thx

• @driftwood Now take the three settings. Boom!, Drewnet v7 444 sharp2, drewnet v7 444 soft. Thin lines are jumping on the "drewnet v7 444 soft" and jump to "Boom!" On tuning "sharp2" all is well. In adjustment "Boom!" deblocking is off, but the lines are jumping. http://s019.radikal.ru/i616/1209/af/8b5cc8ae292f.png I do not want to distract you, you deserve a vacation, I want to point out a problem that exists.

• Thanks guys for the work, looks much improved. Will finally want to make me upgrade from GH1 and start on the GH2. Some of the "digital green" is still there and this is most likely caused by uneven luminance/chrominance ratio in the sensor. I highly suggest testing even a low density magenta filter now, like CC10M or CC20M. It will do three things,

1 It will balance the luminance/chrominance ratio for the sensor (Individual color channels are -1 f-stop in the sensor compared to luminance or green)

2 It will lift shadows without diffusion effect

3 It will boost color saturation and thus force encoder to use more bits for chroma

It is always less destructive in post to de-saturate than to saturate. Looks really good now.

• @Shon Im in Madrid on a connector to Chile on iphone so cant look at things till tomoz. Can u load Boom and uncheck/or copy the deblocking settings from Sharp2 and give that a whirl and see if it fixes the problem. Adios!

@Jspatz Up the matrix from 4s (404s) to lower values (255 is lowest) or wait till I provide some softer variations very soon. .

• @driftwood or anybody. Any suggestions as what to try if I wanted to get BOOM slightly softer?

• @driftwood I checked the setting "Boom!" Recording in 720p lines and contours as well jump as well as in other settings, except for "sharp2". Give me any video where the contours and lines, which were used settings except "sharp2". I'll prove to you that this is not fiction.

• BOOM is astonishing.

• @bkmcwd - Shot all day in the stark midday sun (South African sun mind you) with Valkyrie soft, high contrast shooting, standard 14-40 Panny lens. Results were superb. Going to edit, push the grade and post soon. Shadows look great, able to bring up info with little to no noise in dark areas. Great job there

• Is BOOM coming also setup for HBR/FSH and 720p ?

• @TiagoMorena Try the L modes and report back.

• Hi Guys, I just tested today this amazing hack (Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now - DREWnet' 12/15 GOP Settings - soft) but I think for me the bitrates are too high - for the work I do now I really need in-camera playback (my Transcend 32gb Class 10 only showed a few seconds and had a lot of reading errors) and more lean files (this card with the hack only records 44min). But I loved the color render, the better highlights and the audio hack. Can I lower the bitrate to, lets say, 44mbits or something, get smaller files, camera playback and still retain these other amazing features? Thank you very much for this!

• Yes, maybe I'm late to the table, but highlights certainly seem to roll off better, especially with "smooth".

• @bangkng Real nice man... but now I'm hungry!

• @driftwood - Blowing me away here sir. This shit is simply incredible.

Test shot from a shoot today near the (not so) Mighty Rio Grande. Scoping locations for a short.

Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 9.27.45 PM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 5M
  • I shot a wedding yesterday using Driftwood Cluster v7 Apocalypse Now 6 GOP Nebula 444 seti I have not color corrected, but I like the almost stylized look right out of the camera.

I certainly need to try Boom! I was surprised on the quality from this 6 GOP!

Lumix 20mm @ ~ f2.0 or maybe a tad more closed.

IMG F Driftwood Cluster v7 Apocalypse Now 6 GOP Nebula 444 seti.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @jrd Not many do use iA or iDynamic but some people want everything.

• Well, I think I can ignore the don't go wide with Boom warning. I played with it all day, in intense sunlight and as Onionbrain said, the colors are amazing. The detail is amazing. It even behaved fairly well in 720p. Mayweed always over saturates yellow. It was pretty good in Boom though.

I did these grabs in standard -2 with a 14-140 lens

farm1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    farm2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    farm3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    farm4.png
    1280 x 720 - 769K
    farm5.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    farm6.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    farm7.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @driftwood Boom looks amazing!,.. Thank You!

• @driftwood: cheers for your reply. Indeed cluster v6 is a great setting, i shot my whole trip to the baltics on it. Very reliable and very good looks.

If i may ask: Whats your recommendation right now for a filmic/cinematic allround setting?

Have a great trip to Chile and good luck with your shooting. If you ever manage to give me a BOOM! look at cluster sizes and reliability i will build you a monument!! Tata

• @Mirrorkisser With BOOM!, the only reason why I warn against wide hi detail shots is the possible increase in the range of quantisation dc values - on average wide shots I have looked at in France I was getting between 5-8 (if the bitrate climbs to the ceiling of 145+mbps the range will possibly go even higher), on average mid to tight shots - facial / less detail - they are much closer. Just be aware as I haven't had time to do any extensive wide testing. From what Ive seen so far with you guys, things look very good. And very filmic.

I want to remind people that Cluster v6 settings are still some of the most reliable settings ever seen on the GH2 in my opinion and produce very tight dc ranges fed by a rate control of Q16 whilst keeping the bitrate low.

I am preparing to go to Chile tomorrow so will be on and off here from a distance for two weeks - I'm filming footage for the International version of my film, 'The First Raindrop, The Last Teardrop'. I will also be uploading Intravenus and its 'Soft 444 matrix' of Chris Brandin's hopefully before I leave.

Over the next two weeks, or if I get time sooner, I will also be uploading an experimental Cluster v8 with Boom!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions