Personal View site logo
Sony A99 Official Topic
  • 52 Replies sorted by
  • @Aria

I think that VG900 topic is more suitable place for this discussion :-) Plus I am sure that all this auto sensing can be turned off.

• Correct me if i'm wrong, but from what i've read of the VG900 is that it seems like it has an auto sensing system that will switch to APS-C mode if you don't have an Alpha lens connected using the included LA-EA3 adapter. This could be an issue for anyone looking to use other lenses via the E mount and still get the FF and not the APS-C crop. Of course you still have more lens flexibility than the A99 overall, but only with a crop.

It will be interesting to see how the lack of the SLT effects the image. Can't wait to see some comparisons of the A99 vs. the VG900.

• Personally, I much more like VG900. No unnecessary SLT. And much better ergonomics.

• Good to see them appear to take the audio side seriously. But what bitrate, samplerate and codec is the audio? Are we dealing with the uncompressed or lossless one would hope for or will lossy compression be a carryover from earlier DSLR and hybrid designs?

The price is not too far off from the BMCC (which offers uncompressed audio).

I'm very curious about those waterproof SD cards, though!

• Really suggest to think about VG900 instead :-) As it has E-Mount. Much more handy.

• I'm considering at least one FF camera in my kit for Video. I'm not a fan of SLT. I'm actually not a fan of Mirrored cams period, but It seems to me that if this A99 has better low light, better Moire and Aliasing and at the same time offers a similar HDMI output quality as the D800, this could be a real big option for those looking at FF Video. The only issue of course is the Alpha Mount Lenses.

Personally i've liked a lot about the look of the D800 video except for the Moire, so if this Sony A99 can give a similar DR, but better the D800 in terms of low light and less Moire, then that could be enough to compel some to go in the Sony direction. Now i'll have to do some research into the Alpha range of lenses, cuz I know next to nothing about them.

• A99 pricing looks like it is targeting Nikon D800 and Canon 5D M III. Not going overboard with MPx, allowing faster frame rates for stills (10 fps.) The tiltable screen is good for video, but might compromise how weatherproof the body will be.

• @vitaliy_kiselev You're right. Just lazy typing on my behalf. I meant APS-C and Full Frame sensors.

• 10-18 f4 and 35 f1.8 sound pretty good. Both image stabilization!

• DSLR sensors in camera body

I do not understand that "DSLR sensor" term means.
    it is just modern sensors used in different products.

DLSRs and SLT are going away. But not yet.

• Press event line-up:

Cameras

Sony A99: 24MP Exmor CMOS full frame sensor, AVHCD 2.0. Price $2799. Available in mid October.
    Sony NEX-6: 16MP Exmor CMOS APSC sensor, AVHCD 2.0. Price around $1000.

Sony lenses

Sony 300mm f/2.8 G SSM II lens (SAL300f28GII): Nano AR coating, weather sealed, SSM (Super Sonic Wave Motor), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), focus hold button. Price: $7500, to be released in October, 2012.
    Sony 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 SAM lens (already announced and available for preorder at BHphoto).
    Sony 10-18 f/4 OSS: available in November 2012 for $850.
    Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS: available in December 2012 for $450.
    Sony 16-50 f/3.5-5.6 OSS (kit lens): available in January 2013 for $350.

Sony a99 accessories

Sony HVL-F60M flash: guide number: 60, built-in LED light, price: $550.
    Sony HVL-RL1 ring flash: priced around $350.
    Sony VG-C99AM vertical grip for a99: weather sealed, price: $380.
    Sony XLR-K1M audio input terminal: price: $800.
    Sony RMT-DSLR2 remote control.
    Sony LCS-BP3 back pack.

Sony a99 accessories

Sony HVL-F60M flash: guide number: 60, built-in LED light, price: $550. Sony VG-C99AM vertical grip for a99: weather sealed, price: $380.
    Sony XLR-K1M audio input terminal: price: $800.
    Sony RMT-DSLR2 remote control.

Sony seems to get it. Take A99 and have optionals to make it perfect for video. Price is also right. I really hope they have a i-Frame codec in the 80mb range.

Camcorders

• Sony NEX-VG900 camcorder: interchangeable lens HD camera with 24MP Exmor CMOS full frame sensor, 1080×1920 video recording at 24p/60p, 3″ LCD, XGA OLED EVF, price: $3,300.
    • Sony NEX-VG30/VG30H camcorders: 16MP Exmor APS-C sensor, BIONZ processor, 1080×1920 video recording at 24p/60p, 3″ LCD, XGA OLED EVF, available in November from $1,800.

These seem like cheap version of the C100/C300. DSLR sensors in camera body.

via: Sonyalpharumors

• I updated the specs from rumors sites.

Looking for their posting it looks like Sony had some press event or similar thing.

• They get the specs right almost all the time.

Just check timing.

First posts always match with first informing of dealers and big retail.

Second, more detailed ones appear after press events :-)

To cut this rumors all that is requires is to reduce amount of info that dealers get.

And make press even much closer to release date.

• Nevertheless Sony alpha rumors out of all the "rumour" sites has a great track record on these things. They get the specs right almost all the time. Unlike Cannon rumors who have been talking about 7d mk II's and 3D's for a while now.

• Right now, the A99 is my first option to upgrade my work system, already have some decent alpha lens so for me it will not be much problem using Sony again, hope this camera really can accomplish at least 80% of my requirements. Sony has many thing to fix to become great at dslr video arena, moire and aliasing still present, the quality of the image can be improved is a little soft, no manual audio, the in boby stabilization can be improved too hope for hardware stabilization over the software one obviously without overheating as the previous generation. And clean and uncompressed HDMI output as the Nikon D800.

The other option is the GH3, the rumored weather resistant is good but just need some pushes in other areas, as better IQ and high ISO handling, in body stabilization as the Olympus OM-D will welcome too, AVCHD intra is welcome but i don't thing this gonna happen, clean and uncompressed HDMI output as the Nikon D800.

My two cents.

• Well there are some things you could assume about it, it's going to be a full frame sensor, it will have a similar sensor to the D800 but probably better again, It's an SLT. Knowing Sony it will be technology packed and good bang for your buck if the A900 is anything to go by

• OK Cool No problems...my mistake.

But theres not much more to say about the A99 anyway if the only real info is after the press event, and most claims become false.

(As you mentioned)

• @Astro

Let's keep this topic about A99.

• @Vitaliy Yep what you are saying is true. Still the GH2 is such a good camera anyway, any improvement is only going to make it better (hopefully). And apparently they have been listening to some degree to peoples (film makers) wants on forums such as these, and they no doubt have heard what the BlackMagic Camera is aiming for, so at the least it will be interesting to see how they respond with the GH3 Camera. They must know that a fair bit rests on how good the GH3 will be considering that they have not done very well with the AF100, so at the very least it will be interesting to see what they do.

• Very good to understand is that usually most of such claims become false after announcment :-)

We already saw this with other cameras.

Only real things will be after press event, after some guys will leak information.