Personal View site logo
Listen to the heart of Tuscany
  • One of my favorite places on earth - the heart of the Tuscany in Italy, from a macro perspective. No music, just the sounds of little life in a fantastic atmosphere.

A big "Thank you" goes to my friend and fellow filmmaker Nino Leitner, who encouraged me to upload the film as is without music.

Shot over the course of 14 days, searching for those moments where everything aligns. Field recordings with a ZOOM H2, other ressources included freesound.org.

At a later stage, I will most probably share an alternate version with specifically composed music as well.

Let me know what you think!

follow me on twitter: twitter.com/gunmac

Shot on the GH1, GH2 (both hacked), a Canon FD 35mm f3.5, Canon FL 55mm f1.2, Voigtlaender 25mm f0.95, DLSR Magic 12mm f1.6 and the 14-140mm kit lens

• 18 Replies sorted by
  • Awesome work dude. What patches did you use?

• Love your work! Did you capture all sounds while shooting, or did you add some in post? I kind of like it without music.

• @kurolaw I used a rather simple 44mbits/s patch, installed already a year ago.

• @cbrandin thanks Chris! I added some sound in post, as it was not possible to catch everything in the field.

• Gorgeous stuff! Looks like Discovery Channel quality video. Makes me not want to sell off my old FD glass! Was that sun flare shot near the beginning with the SLR?

• It's nice without music - but if you do, then yes, specially-written music will be perfect for this. Nice sounds: I liked the leading-sound edit around 1:05 where you hear things and then see them (just like real life). While the opening shots are beautiful, I would have liked to see mixes because cuts between similar sized shots make it look too much like an animated slideshow rather than a piece of edited video. The best edits are those which go between wide and detail shots so you get that sense of context, scale and surprise - so the edited item has a flow, more like a piece of music, where it's the movement and transition and the counterpoint that's important. But the actual quality of the images and sounds - wonderful!!!

• Very nice. Piece stands on it's own IMO, doesn't really need any more sound. Well done, and also a thumbs up to the hack and low cost cameras.

• @vicharris Thanks mate. That sun flare in the beginning is from the SLR Magic 12mm f1.6 lens, yes.

• @Mark_the_Harp Thanks for that feedback. You are right about the opening sequence, I actually did not notice myself until you said it. Sometimes you are getting blind during an edit ;-)

• @jfro Interesting to hear. There seems to be a majority (from the comments I am getting) favoring the no music approach, although some say they miss the music. I will post a music version around October, will be interesting to compare.

• Good, very good man!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev thanks for watching. And all the dedication to make the GH cameras the perfect little travel beasts!

• @GMC thanks for sharing. Wonderful. The ant must be having a nice dinner, I bet.

• @GMC wonderful work.

I saw your other video and I liked them a lot, you are a pro :)

• @stonebat thanks! Yeah, the ant finally figured out her dinner.

• I am totally happy with the response to this film so far. Just got a "Staff Pick" at Vimeo! Thank you all!