Personal View site logo
SLR Magic 2x ANAMORPHIC lens
  • 804 Replies sorted by
  • @teamsleepkid maybe panasonic is reading this topic and they will ressurect the LA7200 or something similar... or the chinese manufacturers will come with something, chinese people are filling all untapped markets.

• For a good quality 25/35mm anamorphic lens with 1.8X I would "like" to pay $300 but I would expect to pay at least twice that amount, and for exceptional quality would be happy to pay four times that.

• @matthere +1 I would easily accept to pay close to $1000 for a good 25mm 1.8x! It would fill a huge gap in many anamorphic shooters' arsenal.

• @B3Guy: I think option 2 is the best. I think that an anamorphic lens would be preferred over an adapter, as it guarantees the best image quality possible, plus working with every lens and great for it's focal length. For the back, there's a much easier way: For the image circle, make it so that the hole itself is an oval (glass or aperture not needed to be it, this would be like an oval mask at the back). Similar to placing a bokeh filter in front, it works just as well in the back. All you have to do is to adjust the size so it fits the adapter without vignetting and then the oval shape will be there. And if possible, please add follow focus gears, mark it in T-stops, with a non clicked aperture and place the markings on the side. This would be for filmmakers anyway, so you might as well get a head of it! For the front thread, the best would be an inner diameter of 77mm and an outer diameter of 80mm. This would make it work with standard matteboxes.

• @slrmagic et al.

Perhaps there is a third implementation solution - a hybrid between adapter and full prime lens. If the design were carefully considered, perhaps you could produce an anamorphic "adapter" block and a whole set of base lenses designed specifically to be used with it. That is, you could give them a bespoke mating system that ensures a secure and accurate fit, and design the optics of the primes and the anamorphic to be used together. Focus would be omitted from either the prime or adapter and controlled from the other (either because all the focus operations are contained in one of the two parts, or because both parts are mechanically linked).

If it were possible, this sort of design would carry some of the advantages of each of the others - it would greatly ameliorate mounting troubles, but unlike with a set of monoblock primes, it would mean that the expensive anamorphic block would only have to be purchased once and could be used on multiple focal lengths.

And if people really want to be able to use the anamorphic block with their own base lenses, you could make and adapter for the anamorphic block to give it screw threads of the desired size.

Now that said, I don't actually know anything about optics or manufacturing, so I have no idea if what I suggest is possible. As far as I know it hasn't ever been done before. I think it's worth thinking about, though.

• @slrmagic et al.

As an addendum to my previous thought, a prime lens/anamorphic block system would also mean that multiple anamorphic blocks could be produced with different squeeze factors.

• I did some research about the LA7200 and i found it is possible to develop the adapter to be used with the 14mm 2.5 / 20mm 1.7 / 45mm 1.8 / 14-42mm 3.5-5.6 / and vintage nikon / canon fd lenses from 20 to 85mm

the LA7200 optical design is not perfect, it was designed for standard definition where aberrations are not so pronounced, there are barrel distortion, chromatic aberration, softness in corners, an adapter for GH2 need better optical formula, but its aproach in IQ is very good and it is not to much heavy.

• At this time 19 or 40% votes for 2X anamorphic squeeze !!?? I hope these people bother watching some X2 anamorphic videos from 16x9 imager some time. It's too wide people. It's unusually too wide. Unless they are shooting SD/DV format in 4/3 perhaps.

• The block idea is interesting. Problem is an anamorphic attachment has really only one focal length prime lens with which it matches. Take the iscos or the kowas as examples. They are really only designed to work with a "normal" lens (roughly a 50mm full frame equivalent). Go wider and you get cutoff at the sides. Go narrower and the taking lens is only using the center portion of the anamorphic, thus not getting the full stretch of the adapter. This problem might be deminished somewhat by a block mating system that has say three primes in it. A wide, maybe around 35mm ff, that mates closest to the anamorphic, the medium or 50 mm ff, that mates somewhat back from that, and a tele or 85mm ff, that mounts still further away. In other words, the outermost edge of the tele is further back from the back portion of the anamorphic than the other two. The outermost edge of the wide would be the closest, right up against the anamorphic rear element. The normal length would be somewhere between them.

A rear anamorphic element would be needed for a zoom. But that gets complicated fast.

Overall, you want the anamorphic elements to be as wide at the rear as possible and as short in depth as possible.

A 1.5x or weaker 50mm (in the vertical) anamorphic is not a wide enough horizontal FOV after cropping to get 2.39:1 to be especially attractive. Too many headaches both during and after shoot. Shooting anamorphic is hard enough as it is -- light loss, focusing, stability, etc. Best to pair a 1.5x with a wide lens, 40mm ff equivalent or wider.

If you need tight shots just move in. But watch out you don't catch the mumps.

Another reason for 1.5x: if 4:3 video ever returns to the masses, the 1.5x will result, uncropped, in a 2.0:1 aspect ratio. 2.0:1 is a good choice because all other aspect ratios can be extracted from it. As sensor resolutions increase in density, this will provide the most flexibility.

Here, from Red, for what it's worth:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-60740.html

• @010101 I believe m43 is the format that will bring anamorphic to the masses. It only makes sense. The sensor is so close to the size of academy frame that it's the next logical step. Other people have gone with Super-35. But, S35 is an ALTERNATIVE to anamorphic. The whole point of s35 is to not have to use anamorphic lenses - it's meant for cropping instead. 16:9 is prevalent at the moment, but I have no doubt that 4:3 will come back for anamorphic use.

I think converting 16:9 footage to an anamorphic cinema ratio is a joke. It's a really poor imitation that doesn't really look anamorphic. So why build a lens for a half-way market. 2x is the standard, Zeiss is coming out with some 2x, it's going to remain the standard because of the characteristics that can't be replicated by lesser squeezes.

That's why people are voting 2x. Anything less isn't ultimately going to give people the "look" they'r going for.

• @JosiahSjostrom

There's nothing logical about reviving an analogue techique developed in the 1950s to distinguish movies from TV to the digital age. it's a backwards step and makes no sense from a digital perspective. it's pure fetsh.

• @mattc this whole thread is about reviving an analogue technique developed in 1950s.

What do use see as the purpose of creating an anamorphic lens? Simply to achieve a wider aspect ratio? If that's the case, it's cheaper and more simple to crop your images vertically as S35 is intended to be.

FYI, there are still a significant amount of films shot anamorphic today; it has nothing to do with chronological snobbery, it has everything to do with an aesthetic choice. What other reason would one choose to shoot with anamorphic lenses? They're more expensive and more difficult to work with. Thus the whole point of using anamorphic lenses today is for aesthetic reasons. If we throw out the aesthetics that a proper 2x anamorphic lens has to offer us, what indeed is the point of shooting anamorphic to begin with?

The only argument I'm seeing here from anyone in favor of a squeeze factor less that 2x is for the sake of a simple workflow with prevalent 16:9 (meant for TV) aspect ratio cameras. If you want a simple workflow simply to achieve a wider aspect ratio - crop it! That's what they do in holly wood.

• I don't know much about crop ratio's or anamorphic lenses in general, so I have been abstaining from voting, but IF it matters at all, Whatever ratio this is gets my vote:

I've seen some SUPER wide stuff, and I love it for composition but I understand that it's too wide for most people to want to watch on computer/television. Whatever the ratio Seb Farges used in that video is perfect IMHO. I can see myself cropping it wider if i need to, or punching in 5% and getting a more "normal" look.

I really think this offers the best of both worlds. Cheers.

• "Bringing anamorphic to the masses" is the kind of talk that drives posts like these from useful realistic discussion into histrionic hyperventilation.

And I say this as a complete analague, anamorphic nut.

• I know most the talk here has been about how to achieve a specific anamorphic look, but I will take the approach of explaining my intended applications and leave to @slrmagic to find the best solution.

I often shoot wide. I do not just mean focal length, I mean framing. My work is a combination of video, stills and timelapse and while I use a variety of cameras, the GH2 gets called on to handle all of the above. On my APS-C bodies, I routinely employ 10mm (16mm FF equivilent FOV) either for master shots or at a distance from actors (not to get a distorted "fun-house" effect). Good infinity focus is very important.

My most common subjects are nature scnes and night scenes, often with a very wide vista that could fill a wide FOV. For the twilight and night shots, F2.8 or faster is required in order to avoid having to boos ISO or switch out of movie shutter speeds to timelapse.

Due to relative inexperience with anamorphics, the simpler the setup, the better.

Prices in the $400 to $1,200 range are of the most interest. On the topic of squeeze ratios, I defer to those with greater experience for the time being.

With thatv in mind, I hope that whatever solution you come up with is fast aperture, simple and 25mm or wider, but I have no comments on build approach as long as IQ is of sufficient quality.

• @mattc I'm not trying to pick a fight, just trying to defend my opinion against yours. And yes, I'm a big analogue man myself. For stills I almost always shoot film, I've got a full darkroom in my basement, and my guitar amps are tube :-)

Yes, "bringing it to the masses" was a bit of a hyperbole. But honestly, even five years ago - who would've thought that a shallow depth of field would be so available today? We're each entitled to an opinion, but isn't the availability of substantially more cost-effective anamorphic footage a possibility in the next five years? ... or less? With how quickly things are advancing in the indie filmmakers realm, I tend to think yes.

• @010101

Not only have I seen 2X anamorphic, I shoot with it 90% of the time at this point. It can be however wide you want it to be, just crop the sides off. People get extremely concerned about "loss" of resolution, but honestly, because you still have full vertical resolution, it hides the loss really well. I watched a ton of footage before I even bought my anamorphic, and (this is just my personal take on things) the 1.33X LA7200/Century/Optex look downright crappy unless you're stopped down or have an expensive diopter (which disables infinity focus). What's more, they don't really give you much the anamorphic "look", so they're really just a deep DOF way to change aspect ratio.

And just an FYI, at least with my Kowa, 2X is the extreme end of the squeeze factor. Most often, I'm desqueezing by 1.8X, and when shooting closeups of actors to get their faces to look natural, I desqueeze almost at 1.5X. Desqueezing seems to be a bit of an inexact science.

• BTW, for anyone who might be interested. Here is a bit of an anamorphic test I had done with a Kowa 2x a while back. I used the GH2 4:3 hack. So this is a good example of what a 2x squeeze on 4:3 looks like

• I still say 2x squeeze to match my 16h b&h,16c and panavision lenses. If an adapter is the way these are being made, it needs to stay around a few hundred dollars. If prime anamorphic are made if they can cover other bodies besides the m4/3 i would be willing to pay alot more. I shoot on other bodies besides the gh2 and don't want to be limited to using it just on gh2

• @sethdp good point. I'd like to see it in Nikon mount covering APS-C more than anything.

• @JosiahSjostrom , That is a great anamorphic sequence. I have been away from GH1/2 hack for a while ( blame the FS100 ). Could you name the 4:3 hack you used or provide a link. I think it's the time to dust off those old Kowa X2s again.

• Ok so to conclude. 2 possible options

Anamorphic Adapter solution -2X or 1.5X -Can work with wide angle (35mm or wider lens) -Support s35 -72mm or larger front filter thread -Minimal vignetting -$1200 to $3000 budget to fulfil market between low end and high end (Such price range should be workable)

Anamorphic Lens Solution -2X or 1.35X -25mm or wider -Hopefully more than one lens offering (might be difficult at this point) -mFT mount -Minimal vignetting -$600-$900 (Such price range is not feasible for us)

There are even some suggestions for a US 300 Anamorphic lens. No wonder why no one is manufacturing Anamorphic lenses. It is far from workable. For large companies, they may produce something and use various marketing technique to develop a need for it. For small companies like us, we have to be sure that there is a market for the product with a workable price before we manufacture it.

A small lens would cost less but would require long focal length primes (40mm or longer) to be used with it but everyone wants 35mm or wider which requires a lot of glass and cost a lot to manufacture. The market offerings are around 49mm rear element or much smaller but everyone wants 72mm or larger that can only go up in cost exponentially and not go down in cost.

An anamorphic lens by other manufactures cost $8,500-30,000, so we thought there would be a market for a $1,200-1,500 anamorphic lens. I started this thread to find out if there is a market for anamorphic lens between $1,200-1,500. @Vitaliy_Kiselev already informed me before I started this thread that sub $500 would be workable, but this is not workable for us.

When we planned for the 12mm 1.6 lens we target $300-400 and ended up it cost us $500 to sell since costs for materials are on the rise. It is possible the $1200 target can go up as well and we have no control of prices for raw materials. Many email us at sales@noktorcom and hope we can make an anamorphic lens the same price as the Noktor 12mm 1.6 which is sub $600, but you can expect adding anamorphic to a lens can only increase the price because of more lens elements and a more complex manufacturing process.

It seems an Anamorphic adapter solution is better than a lens solution for now due to a different price expectation and users know it cost $1000 for an LA7200 that is not designed for mFT or $4500 "buy it now" price for the Isco on eBay.

Hope we can finally conclude on what I will take up to the board. I think this thread is very constructive and I thank everyone who had voiced their opinion. Many thanks to @Vitaliy_Kiselev for this discussion platform to enable our interactive discussions. Even if we ended up not making an anamorphic adapter at the end, another manufacture can refer to this thread to fulfil the market demand. Due to upcoming Photokina event, I have to concentrate on the exhibition and I will not answer on this thread anymore. Please continue to give me your valuable opinion because I will be checking on this thread everyday. Again, if you will be visiting Photokina, we are at Hall 3.1 Booth 059 and I welcome you to drop by and we can meet in person for further discussions or just saying Hi.

Kind rgds., Andrew

• I think the block design is very viable, and perhaps it should not be so complicated at all! Check out Lomo anamorphics for ideas about this. I think the squarefronts were designed with this in mind, and the taking lenses were equipped with a special mount in front. I don´t know if they altered any optical schemes to accomodate the anamorphics though. I think not as the taking lenses seem like the usual optical blocks in a different housing.

1. Decide on the wide maximum that the anamorphic adapter block should be capable of and design it to fit with that.
    2. Design the wide lens to go with it. Now, design two lenses which are of longer focal length. As long as the focal plane of the first lens is reproduced, it will act like it is merely cropping the first image. Focal plane and close focusing properties of the taking lens is crucial to the performance of the whole package.

The idea by @jackdoerner that you can only get one anamorphic attachment to go with the lineup makes financial sense for many. Some might spend more and have the whole set and anamorphic attachments for each.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters