Personal View site logo
SLR Magic 2x ANAMORPHIC lens
  • 804 Replies sorted by
  • @christianhubbard We know it is complicated for people getting into anamorphic the first time. There is a used market process, bracket matching process, lens matching process, and close up filter matching process as well. We hope to offer a simple all in one solution so there is no cat and mouse process to find the right combination!

Thanks, Andrew

• @slrmagic Yeah, that´s what I mean, 12mm is wider than you´d expect for anamorphic shooting; in other words, not essential. However, the range in-between about 15-35 is (for m43 sized sensors).

You should not worry about how a m42 / PL lens looks on a gh2 or other m43 sized sensor camera. If you make anamorphic primes your customers will be the guys who do not care much about the look of the lens on the camera, who will rather pay you 1000-1500 usd a lens to save on rental costs of cine lenses / don´t have to buy Lomo anamorphic primes at 2-4000 usd / avoid the hassle of used anamorphic adapters, as long as the IQ and build quality is acceptable. Then adaptability (to different mounts like EF, Nikon, E-mount, m43) will be key and a mount with long flange focal distance is paramount for that. (keep in mind there´s plenty of blackmagic cams going out as we speak, any buyer of those is a potential buyer of a good quality anamorphic prime). Although, a possible issue with m42 in this particular case is that it might be considered an unsafe mount.

• I've noticed that the right lens in most situations for me would have equal field of view of 35 - 40 mm lens on full frame. This would be 17.5 - 20 mm on m4/3. So it would be slightly wide angle but not exaggerated. Hence I would be interested in anamorphic lens that covered similar field of view for 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

• Why 1.5?

Seb Farges spoiled us with his 1.5x and 1.75x movies. Since 1.75 is a bit extreme, my pick is 1.5x.

What about 1.33x? Meh.

• @010101 We are asking around because we received a few requests and we also found out it is hard to buy due to discontinuation. In our case, we are looking to buy these ISCO lenses to take a look but many are in the $4500-7000 price range and photos show very used conditions. Buying the LA7000 from AG-DVX100 @BobbyMcDonald was a breeze since he is a filmmaker and we can trust his description of the usage conditions. Many online sellers of the ISCO lenses we talked to give us no clear description of the lens condition. Some are even selling it as "spare parts" and how can any cinematographer here spend thousands on a lens that maybe work that is described as a spare part only?

We read the ISCO is great but $4000 or so is very risky to many here including ourselves to buy from sellers with practically 0 description of item condition.

But you may be right, if we all feel the ISCO is the only thing we want and there is no need for us to make an anamorphic lens then you helped us reduce or risk to 0! Its 0 risk for us to not get into any new project so that is why we are having this discussion here.

Thanks, Andrew

• 12mm wide angle + anamorphic... just too wide.

Normal angle + anamorphic. Yes. Normal angle in m43 is 25mm.

• @stonebat IQ is better for FL between 25-35 on mFT

• Make anamorphic lenses that people wanna own instead of renting. Please!!!

• @slrmagic

Yes 25mm focal length is very popular for 16:9. I think the focal length would be popular for anamorphic ratio, too.

• Also consider 50mm focal length with 1.5x. Then hand-held anamorphic shot would be possible.

• I'd be all for 1.35x one! Adapter or lens.. but I gave it 2nd thought and I think adapter might be actually better choice..

I don't think ISCO is the only thing people want, there is still place for you in the anamorphic lens segment.. 4000$ for ISCO lens is just too much for most of the guys..

• @stonebat Can you explain why 50mm with 1.5x anamorphic will make hand-held possible? With what options make hand-held not possible?

• I would do a lot to get to try out a (working) anamorphic on my 17,5mm voigtländer..

Looking at anamorphic primes, they all seem to come in 35, 50 and 75mm focal lengths (for s35).

• How about a range of affordable 1.5x anamorphic cine primes for MFT?

25mm 35mm 50mm

I'd pay up to $1200 for each, or $3k for all.

• (Take that, Iscorama).

• @slrmagic If I have to pic one I would choose 1.33x or maybe if it would be easier to desing and would have more pros than 1.33x adapter , a 1.5x would be also ok.. I think these are universal for internet and cinemas , for me a 16:9 film in cinemas looks as silly as 3,55:1 on the internet a 1,33x/1,5x adapter can be used for both

I am not an anamorhpic expert so pardon me if I say something wrong. My suggestions would be:

1. 1.33x or 1.5x adapter
    2. as good IQ as can be 3.designed for a zoom lens ? panasonic 12-35 f2.8 or panasonic 14-140? or wait for photokina and see if some new good and afforable zoom lenses with internal focusing will be announced?
    3. I´m not sure about this suggestion but, would it be possible to make an universal holder? I mean that you could adapt it on any lens with filter size from 46-67mm
    4. and price also, for me 1000USD is the max, but it must be universal and have good IQ

hope you find the best way to make it real and good, I love anamorphic look and I´m sick of cropping and blanking 16:9 footage.. wish you good luck !

• @slrmagic

180 degree rule tells us we better double the shutter speed to capture nice motion blur. 24p is very popular. Consequently 1/50 or 1/60 shutter speed is the most popular.

In photography, it's known that you'd wanna keep the shutter speed up to the FOV to get a stable shot.

1/60 shutter is mapped to 60mm FOV. 50mm focal length + 1.5x anamorphic ratio would give 50 / 1.5 * 1.86 = 62mm horizontal FOV on Gh1/Gh2.

Normally 50mm focal length is too long for handheld in M43. The 1.5x anamorphic would make the shot more stable.

• @MarkV Actually $4000 for a good lens is not a high asking price. The only think that makes most uncomfortable with is the ones left in the used market are not in the best conditions (not like new in box) and we buy it to use it and not to collect only. Lens condition for a $4000 lens may be something import to consider.

We are really looking into a possible option in the at least $1200 USD range to balance IQ and affordability. There are some cheap ones in the $300 range but they are not designed for use on 4/3. At times they are cheap because they are discontinued already and risk is somewhat involved for the buyer if it will adapt properly. They are also cheap due to depreciation. We had many feedback to make a sub $500 anamorphic adapter but it is not possible since we find it extremely risky to make a subpar adapter. We would sell it because it is cheap, people would try it and find out IQ is as good as the price suggests, then people will discuss about it here and recommend others to get something better. As @stonebat suggested we want to make something people want to keep than to sell on eBay afterwards only. If we will make an anamorphic lens with $4000 budget for a new one and everyone can accept that no doubt we have the potential to make a very competitive one. We are planning to make an entry level anamorphic lens around $1200 budget and this is why we want to ask around for feedback. Maybe some will suggest making cheaper. Some may suggest making a better one for a slightly higher price that is still cheaper than $4000 budget.

• On second thought @slrmagic, If you make a good anamorphic adapter, that can work with a relevant range of focal lengths, you could "easily" design primes in say 3 different focal lengths to go with the adapter (and counter the optical problems at each FL). Difficulty then would be in sustaining the colors / the look of the whole line of lenses. (obviously also in reproducing the same focal plane in 3 different focal lengths)

• @hedrox Thanks for your feedback. Please do not mind saying anything wrong. Another way to word it is that we can make a perfectly standardised lens and it is possible from the outcome of this thread people want to see a non standardised lens! The lens is not made yet so we are open for discussion.

Thanks, Andrew

• I think an anamorphic prime with a focal length of between 17mm and 25mm would be very ideal. Most of the DIY solutions we have today can't go wider than 35mm, so there will definitely be a market for a wider anamorphic lens. I don't think it should be a m43 lens, but rather a lens that could cater to different sensor sizes, possibly up to APS-C (at least s35).

• @mlysbakken We did not know there is no DIY solution wider than 35mm. 25mm does not work with adapters so far?

Thanks, Andrew

• It probably works with some adapters, but many of us prefer to use old projection lenses instead of adapters (for various reasons). We mount them in front of our primes, just like with the adapters. I don't know of any projection lens that doesn't vignet on wider FLs than 35, which can be problematic at times.

• @slrmagic

Andrew Reid, who´s pretty knowledgeable when it comes to using anamorphic adapters wrote this in relation to how wide it would be possible to go on the bmd cam:

"My instincts tell me that the maximum wide angle you will be able to get way safely without vignetting on the Iscorama 36 1.5x or a Kowa 2x is around 25mm. I’m yet to verify if a 20mm lens will work. It may do with the Iscorama 36."

HOWEVER, that is in his untested theory. So it cannot be accounted as fact. And anyway as talked about above the ISCO 36 is not cheap. For most other adapters it´s hard to go below 35mm.

There are, in other words very few adapters that can work in the 20-35mm range.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters