Personal View site logo
Noise issue GH2 - Driftwood 176 GOP1 ISO 160
  • Hi!

I have been getting a lot of block noise with my GH2. In well lit situations the problem is not there but as soon as I have some transitions to shadows, I get this huge blocks that look like a mobile phone video. Is there anything wrong with my camera? Is there something I am missing? Look at the couch and at the arm of the girl. Here is the video:

Noise issue GH2 Driftwood 176M GOP1 - ISO 160 - F1.4 from WB on Vimeo.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • I don't think there's anything wrong with your camera. I'm no expert, but it looks like it's a combination of banding and macroblocking (I'm talking about her arm). Did you have noise reduction set to -2? Also, the original file on Vimeo is compressed, so that probably contributes a bit to the macroblocking.

I haven't used Driftwood 176M GOP1, but I use Canis Majoris Night and it usually helps at preserving shadow detail a little better. I'll still get noise at high ISOs or dark shadowy areas, but it's not smeared by compression. I'm afraid every camera has a range at which it works best, and you've just hit that limit.

Just my 2 cents.

• Light is easy to get, but sensibility is much harder. But since this is a place for a sensitive exchange of information, let's keep things clear. The issue is: whenever there is an underexposed part in the image, these blocks appear. So isn't there a way to underexpose in a clean way, like many other cameras do? We often want to overexpose some parts and underexpose others.

• For starters, some light might help.