Personal View site logo
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • Maybe a different method of de-bayering?

• Yes, very strange. Active sensor used is bigger, but RAW resolution is smaller? Does this make any sense? Have they put in a different sensor at the last minute, one with better specs or framerates? Or maybe the sensor they wanted is not available in quantity because of high demand. Seems strange to change it all of a sudden. The crop is moving towards FourThirds.

• It got a little bigger at 15.81mm x 8.88mm.

I have issue with active sensor size becoming bigger and resolution becoming smaller.
    Was the ruler defective first time or the second?

• Like I said the new active sensor size is on the website tho. It got a little bigger at 15.81mm x 8.88mm.

• @Brian202020

OK, I'll update the specs as soon as they start shipping official cameras to wide audience.

• No one from BMD has said for sure, but others and myself believe they were trying to limit aliasing and moire as much as possible by trying different combinations. We know the resolution changed because of the RAW footage released. They haven't updated the website to reflect that change tho yet.

• Active sensor size has changed and is currently posted on the website. Also the RAW resolution has also changed to 2400 x 1350, and this is not yet on the website.

Interesting.

What was the reason for this changes?

• @Vitaliy

Your specs on the first post are old. Active sensor size has changed and is currently posted on the website. Also the RAW resolution has also changed to 2400 x 1350, and this is not yet on the website.

• Who has something worthwhile that they would like to shoot with the BMCC Tuesday in Los Angeles? send me a PM if you have something decent with a budget for lighting that won't kill me to be involved with.

• @DouglasHorn

I don't know how BMCC can be different. It is same as usual EF mount, you get either macro only or you need converter with glass.

• Does anyone know if it would be possible to use Canon FD lenses on the Blackmagic cinema camera? Typically you can't use FD lenses on a Canon EF mount without a quality-killing diopter. I believe this has something to do with the backplane distance. Is this the same with the BMCC or is it possible to create some kludge of adapters like EF -> Nikon, Nikon -> FD?

The BMCC is enticing, but I have quite an investment in glass and accessories and the ability to keep using them would be a big factor.