Personal View site logo
Official GX1 hack development topic
  • 363 Replies sorted by
  • Great job you did. Regards and many thanks so far. Using a GX1 Firmware Version 1.1. I checked Version increment, interface, 30 min Limit and most important for me Max Iso limit removal. The Camera did the update properly. The 30 min limit has vanished. But nothing happens with my Video. Still there must be a auto iso in M-Mode although Iso has been fixed to 200 Iso.

Hope You enjoyed your vacation and are feeling well again.

• @vitaliy_kiselev, Thank you very much for your hard work. I just read all of the topic and it looks like you made allot of effort in order to create this hack. I'm now figuring out how to install it on my GX1. Thanks again and looking forward the Manual Movie mode....

• Hi, just wanted to say Hello and Thanks guys. Just got my GX1-X in Japan, and the hack to unlock the languages worked like a charm! My camera came with the last version of both body and lens firmware.

The device is currently available for 41000 JPY here, so approximately 520 USD or 400EUR. What a steal!

Thanks again.

• Thanks! That's great news. I hope that you can find a way to make it work. I will make my contribution ...

• and I wanted to know if you where still working on the Manual Movie Mode hack.

Yes, I am.

• Hi Vitaliy! First of all, congratulations for all your hard work. I just purchased a GX1, and I wanted to know if you where still working on the Manual Movie Mode hack. Thank you very much

• HI Could you please send me the latest GX1 hack I need to update PAL to NTSC Thanks for your helping in advance

• @JRtt

I know about it. Just can't do it yet.

Hope to try in october.

• Hi

Thanks for your wonderful work.

I don't know if perhaps it is too late, but many people who shoot HDR would love to see the GX1 bracketing range jump from 1 EV maximum to 2 EV, so three shots +/-2EV in bracketing mode would become available.

Right now the camera can get there but in 5 shots at 2/3 steps each. Not very useful as you shoot unnecessary shots, load up your card, and risk movement between shots.

It's odd that Panasonic is so out of touch with HDR that they try don't already make this simple firmware change.

• Yea, I know you're on vacation... I just wanted to know how long it could take. It's not urgent, I'm just curious if it's even possible for you :) As said It will be a great waste to spend about $600 for GH2 body only to use manual video occasionly. I'm not pro but want to play with video more to learn some techniques as I sometimes do weddings on my friewnds requests and they are satisfied with my work. But better quality with manual videos on Panys cameras would be a big plus. But I know that it's very hard to estimate. Just want to know your opinion if it's possible e.g. in couple of months or it could take year or two. :) Meantime, take a good rest and enjoy your vacation... Best wishes from Slovakia ;)

• @JOFO

Right now I am, kind of, on vacation :-) Manual movie mode is our top priority, but no one will give you estimate. WIll be ready as soon as we'll understad how to do it.

• Yea I know that. That was the point. If manual video on GX1/G3 comes in near time, it will be a waste to buy GH2 just for video as the video quality will be very similar on GX1/G3 with manual... Just want to know if Vitaliy can make a rough guess how long will it take to unlock the manual controls on GX1/G3. For the start it would be great to have just only manual ISO setting to lock recording at paticular ISO level..

• Manual controls work fine on the GH2. This is the GX1 thread.

• Could you make a rough estimate when could it be done? :) I'm just curious if it will take e.g. two months or two years :) Just thinking of buying also GH2 for video purposes only and if the manual video controls are on the near horizon it will be such a waste as I'm not pro yet :)

• Ahh. Well, looking forward to however it develops! Thanks for you efforts! Just made a donation. If there's anything else a non-programmer like me can do to help, just say so.

• The "ISO removal limit" doesn't seem to do anything at all though. I don't see any difference between when I do and don't check it.

It works, but it needs manual video modes :-) And this is not made yet.

• Been messing with the hack on my GX1s. Neat stuff, provided you use fast cards. At least in terms of improving IQ by lowering compression.

The "ISO removal limit" doesn't seem to do anything at all though. I don't see any difference between when I do and don't check it. And I've tried messing with the menu settings for ISO limit, but they don't affect video at all.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this just a feature that doesn't work in the current hack?

• dear vitaliy, one more question; which one you recommend for video that can be better with ptool; gf2 or gx1 thanks!

• @Kit_L

Please, use proper topic for your question.

• if there are any Mac users here, what is your preference (shell, software) for running PTool?

• @driftwood - thanks man, that is deep. I look forward to trying out the approved hack and thank you and the whole team for making this happen.

• @Jakartaguy The hack brings better quality quantisation which means less macroblocking on high detail like running water. Also the greater the bitrate the more information is preserved - in the shadows for ewxample - it also includes sensor noise but it gives it a more filmic look and you can always smooth out the detail/noise in post if you require. Just remember, Bitrate is KING. A lot of the stuff preserved is indistinguisable at quick glance to the human perceptual system - look deeper and feel it. If you don't want to - use stock. Its up to you to decide the trade off.

• @LO47 Let yourself be surprised...

• @buckpago - stonebat is right you can not use a LCD monitor for live output (yes, I know it sucks) and Vitaliy has stated in an earlier post that this is because of a hardware issue, not software.

@LO47 - I don't know about you but I feel kind of bad asking what is in the hacks or what they can do. Kind of like a child asking their parents what is inside their birthday present. But I am hoping that Vitaliy or driftwood can make a list of the things the hack will make possible (i haven't seen this list anywhere).

Thanks all

• Are multi-shot HDR and multi-shot hand-held night mode, just like NEX and EOS-M have, becoming possible in the final version of GX1'S hack????????????? I really want this kind of mode, and it is surely very helpful when shoot in night without a tripod.