Personal View site logo
Part 3, Revenge of the Great Camera Shootout
  • 32 Replies sorted by
  • if the hack could give us an option to keep idynamic enabled on the high setting it could help us to deal with the dr limitations.

• @MattRobertson7: Absolutely. That is why I for corporate gigs will bring an FS100 instead. Much better suited, as it can handle highlights better (though needs a lot of ND) and especially low-light, inbuilt sound etc. The GH2 is a great film camera, if it can be controlled.

As I did say though, I highly recommend people invest in some diffusion filters, it can really help when getting blown highlights, making part of the "look" instead.

• @apefox: "... keep idynamic enabled on the high setting" - I have used "intelligent contrast" while recording 24H several times, with sometimes actually visible benefit.

(And btw.: I think the GH2 could have profited from using this setting in the "window" empirical test scene.)

• I posted this already:

I was booked for a testimonial shoot, video and photo both. I had the GH2 and Canon 5D M3 with me and I have to admit I was not too confident to this tiny GH2. It was in Spain, light was hard an contrasts high. So I shot a test from my hotel room just outside to the garden

CM Skin Tone Soft, standard -1/ -1 / -1 / -1 25mm Nokton

Canon All-I codec, standard -1/ -1 / -1 / -1 24-105 Canon EF

both converted with 5DtoRGB

@DouglasHorn +1

• good points by many. I'll only add one--not that important in the grand scheme really--but I've noticed that how the gh2 actually handles highlights better in terms of color if you manually white balance to the light source of the highlights rather than just use the kelvin scale. It doesn't get "yellow-ish" like on the zacuto shot. I'm unsure how they handled the white balance. And as I say, it's not that important in the grand scheme--I just watched about 2 minutes of the empirical shot and that's about all I'm going to watch.

• @qwerty123: Seen this too. The white balance was set to 3800K on all cameras but the C300 (on the creative wide only), F3 and F65 which were all at 3200K. I recommend reading the documentation, very important for the test: http://www.zacuto.com/zvideo/RGCSO-TechnicalCameraDocumentation-V1.pdf

I also recommend checking out Shane Hurlbut's new article on polarisers: http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2012/08/polarizing-filters-powerful-filmmaking-tools/

Definitely some tricks that can help the GH2 out there!

• sorry for leaving topic. I wonder how Mr. Hurlbut realized the car scene? From my experience polarizers and ND fader also get you a very ugly pattern from multi layer security glass in car windows