Personal View site logo
Canis Majoris and 60D Music Video - A DaVinci Foray.
  • Local rap group. Trying out a new workflow involving DaVinci. Thanks to @shian for the indirect color mentoring as well as @driftwood for the stellar hack. @Vitaliy_Kiselev as always.

Technical stuff

Shot on 3 GH2s and a 60D. Lenses used: Lomo 28mm/f2, Canon FL 50mm/f1.8, Sigma 30mm, Lumix 14-42mm/f3.5

Lit with a China ball with a 250w photo bulb and 3 LED panels from Amazon.

Gini Rigs, DIY Jib, DIY camera track, and Indisystem Slider for support.

Edited the native MTS in Premiere, exported to ProRes 4444 and imported into DaVinci. Brought back to premiere after grade for letter box matte and titles.

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • Great video and editing but I want to punch that little skinny kid in the dick! Are they for real?

• Dope man!! This was tight!!

• Yeah~!

• @vicharris - Haha. Yeah. They're riding some kind of young, high school hipster rap stuff. Lot of respect for them for networking and getting their name out there.

@DeShonDixon - Thanks! I only did the color and some camera work/lighting/hack direction

@bheath - Thanks!

• Fuckin A! Excellent.

• @driftwood - Truly flattered. Thank you, sir.

• It seems you didn't have any issues matching the footage together from the 60D to the GH2. What hack did you use?

• @saltherring - We used Canis Majoris Night across all 3 cameras. I think the key to matching the 60D to the GH2 is really in the grade. The GH2 has so much latitude in shadows compared to the 60Ds muddy, macroblocked shadows. A nifty trick is to crush the blacks in one adjustment layer, node, etc. and lift the shadows in a secondary node. It gives the illusion of detail in the shadows while hiding the ugly mud of the 60D. Also, a couple finely tuned unsharp masks in Premiere helps match softer lenses/60D to Panasonic lenses/GH2.

• Thanks for the info, much appreciated! Your description of the 60D footage as ugly and muddy is spot on ;-)

• @artiswar great editing and grade! These rappers have talent btw.

• nice, altho it's out of sync sometimes.

• @ipcmlr - Thanks! @sicovdplas - Edit wasn't me, solely color.

• Ah ok, color is neat.