Personal View site logo
Couple of question about span
  • First question: I usually shoot 10/20 second clips with my hacked gh2, today I made a 6 minutes clip and I found two files in the card. The first 4,3GB and the second 2,6 GB. FCPX correctly imported them as a single clip but I normally use to transcode the files with 5DtoRGB before importing them in FCPX, but this time I can't transcode them because 5DtoRGB crashes. Any solution?

Second question: In the GH2 it was impossible to record new clips and even to review the recorded clip. If I press record she says "Cannot Record, File Number limit exceeded", If I try to playback she says "This motion Image cannot be played". How should I proceed to record more stuff and eventually review what I've shooted ?

Thanks a lot

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-usage/gh2-usage

Try joining the spanned files before opening it in 5DtoRGB.

For the "file number limit exceeded" error, you probably need to reformat the card to be able to record more. More info in the GH2 hack FAQ. http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/gh2-hack-faq

Playback errors are often resolved by turning the camera off and back on. Some high bit rate hacked footage can't be played back in the camera at all.

• my camera is remotely controlled in flight under a helicopter, so if after a single clip I have this problem , game over ?

Thanks I'll now check out the links

• I'm on mac, tha FAQ says:

"UNIX/Macintosh shell: cat 00000.MTS 00001.MTS 00002.MTS >new_file.mts"

where do I write this code ? if I have a bunch of files how do I recognize the span files from the normal files ?

About this point in the faq:

"There are sporadic reports of a “file number limit exceeded” error message when attempting to record with 64-GB SDXC cards. It looks like the problem is fixed by reformatting the card, and avoided by recording a short clip after spanning and before turning the camera off."

is there any update ? does it happens even with the 32GB sdXC 95MB/s ?

Thanks

EDIT: ok I just discovered the "Terminal". I just tried to write : " /Volumes/Untitled/PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM cat 00000.mts 00001.mts > merged1.mts" but the response has been: "-bash: /Volumes/Untitled/PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM: is a directory robertos-imac:~ Roberto$ "

• You won't know which MTS files are self-contained and which are spanned unless you have some software that knows how to read the AVCHD format. But you can usually guess by looking at the file sizes: if it's 3.99 GB, it's continuous with the one after it.

The "file number limited exceeded" problem with 64-GB cards doesn't happen with 32-GB cards, but that error message can happen for different, less common reasons with any card.

In the terminal, CD to the folder containing the files first, and then join them with cat.

cd /Volumes/Untitled/PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM

cat 00000.mts 00001.mts > merged1.mts

Since you are not a terminal guy, you might just try to find a file joining utility with a GUI.

BTW next time, your question should go in a beginner's topic. Vitaliy is likely to close this topic.

• ok files merged and 5DtoRGB working..

thanks a lot for your help!