Personal View site logo
Hand Held 45mm Lens video. Is it possible?
  • I typically use my 25mm F1.4 for hand held videos. There is some shake with that lens but it is manageable on the GH2 which does not have the Olympus in body image stabilization. However, I tried to video with the 45mm F1.8 at close range and no matter what I did I couldn’t hold it steady at this range(about 10 feet at its closest).

Here is an example 45mm lens video

I am impatiently waiting for the 35-100mm(With IS) F2.8 lens. That would have been perfect for this type of scene. It is extremely dark in the lower section of that wall but F2.8 would have worked(Just Barely. ISO 6400) where the F4.5-F5.8(ISO 12,800 or more) of the 14-140mm would not have worked at all.

Is there anything I can do with the 45mm F1.8 until the 35-100mm comes out? I tried VirtualDub with Deshaker and that works well but it simply takes too long when I have one hundred or more 1-2 minute clips to edit. I also tried the new youtube software image stabilization. However, that degrades resolution way too much.

So besides buying an OMD/EM-5 or getting some wearable stabilization is there any way to shoot hand held video at longer focal lengths without stabilization?

Also what do you think about the colors in this video? Is it too much. My intent was to try to enhance the colors of the holds. However, it might have gone too far.

This was shot with AFC and the version 1.1 firmware. The AFC with the new firmware is much better than before. However, I have noticed that it is not quite as good with the Olympus 45mm F1.8 as it is with the 25mm F1.4. The Olympus lens can hunt sometimes. The Panasonic lenses actually transition quite smoothly.

• 29 Replies sorted by
  • @mpgxsvcd Lately I've been using the quick release plate from the 701HDV head to add an additional point of contact when I'm shooting handheld. Not sure if it would help at that focal length because I haven't done any serious tests, but it's worth a try.

• By the way, your kid is an amazing climber!

• Have you tried LCDVF?

• @atticusd

How do you use the 701HDV head hand held? Are you holding the plate with one hand?

Thanks, I am also amazed at how far he has come in the last few months.

I attempted this route for about half an hour before my son walked up and quickly dispatched it. I was getting stuck on a move that at 6'4" I thought was pretty reachy for me. He simply jumped from hold to hold without a care in the world.

The kids that are climbing at the tops of their age groups now will completely revolutionize the sport by the time it gets a chance to be in the Olympics in 2020. The stuff these kids can do wasn't thought to be possible at their age and height a few short years ago.

• @stonebat

Is that a software based solution?

• I have tried using the viewfinder to steady the camera as well. That doesn't seem to help much at longer focal lengths. It also prevents me from using the touchscreen for focus during video. I use AFC and the touch screen for focus in almost all of my videos now.

Maybe that is why Panasonic decided to put that new feature in the G5 where you can use the viewfinder and the touch focus simultaneously.

• PP CS6 can do software IS like AE CS6. I haven't tried it though.

• @mpgxsvcd You need to give AE CS6 warp stabilizer a run on this footage. REALLY!!!

• While the upcoming Lumix 35-100mm f2.8 will likely work better with the GH2, I think the best current lens for this type of shot may be the Leicasonic 14-50mm f2.8-3.5. The OIS on this lens is hands-down the steadiest I've ever used and the speed is fast enough for indoor shots at ISO 800. It's a legacy Four Thirds lens, though, and while its auto-focus is accurate, it always hunts a bit and breathes noticeably while it does it. The big advantage of a wide zoom, of course, is that hand-held shake is inherently less than at narrower focal lengths. Here's an example of a hand-held panning shot:

• @subco

I have never tried coffee in my life and I don't drink caffeine at all. Can't you post some mid focal length footage that is completely steady hand held with ETC turned on? I don't believe that is possible.

• @LPowell

That lens does look like a great one. However, I need all of the speed I can get. As it stands right now the F2.8 lens is going to be shooting at ISO 6400. Any higher at all and I will loose the use of Auto ISO. I know most people don't use Auto ISO.

However, I have to use it because the lighting changes drastically as the climber approaches the well lit top of the boulder. I also need good AFC. I am just not into MF or AFS anymore.

• 45mm plus ETC? That's asking pretty much!

• @mpgxsvcd Sorry, I meant just the plate, not the entire head. If you put it all the way back, your chin would act as an additional point of contact. But as I told you, I'm not sure if it will be enough.

• Have you tried a monopod. I have had some good results. The monopod at work is a manfroto it has a squeeze trigger to quickly adjust the high. Very portable and light and also has a shoulder brace but i never use it.

• @nomad

Yes the video below was shot mostly with the 45mm and 25mm with ETC. It just doesn't work with out VERY good stabilization.

• @mpgxsvcd LCDVF is a viewfinder for your LCD, provide another point of contact for better stability.

• Tiffen steady stick, small monopod with neck strap, large gorilla pod or a chest brace style rig (ie Polaroid)?

• @mpgxsvcd : What do you make of this quick and dirty try? Made from the 720p version: http://www.mediafire.com/?xu349a8koe0s744 Ping me for more information if you're interested on how to do it.

• For handheld, camcorder with IS :)

• Try a gunstock type brace and an optional 'steady string'

.. piece of string to the ground from the 1/4-20 screw at bottom of camera to the ground, you step on it

• I know the GH2 has excellent quality, but for shooting stuff like this, it almost seems like you'd be better off with a small chip camcorder. Something like the Panasonic TM900. Shoots 1080 60p at decent quality with a good zoom range, AF, and OIS. Low light performance probably wouldn't be as good, but still decent.

• Great climber.

• @dbp

The benefit of the GH2 is that I can shoot excellent stills and great low light video at the same time. I really need both.

I like a lot of these ideas. There are tons of things that were mentioned that I have never thought of. I think the idea about the standing on the string. That would be easy enough to carry around.

In the end I think the 35-100mm F2.8 is the answer with a GH3. 1080p @ 60 FPS should be great with that lens. However, it is very difficult to shoot at 1/120th shutter speed in this ultra dark light. I imagine that the GH2 will need to be able to shoot cleanly at ISO 6400 in order to fully utilize the 35-100mm in this type of environment.

• I bring my E-PL1 which I picked up for $149 when I need stills as well as video. The photo quality is better, and it is small and light, and runs all day on the 2000mah wasabi battery. I wish there was a "one cam" solution--maybe a hacked Olly with 24p, but for now I just throw the tiny E-PL1 in the bag.