Personal View site logo
100-300mm Panasonic m43 lens topic
  • 28 Replies sorted by
  • LUMIX G VARIO 100-300mm / F4.0-5.6 firmware update

• Improved performance of O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)

At http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/

• Got one for the better half one to take pics of the birds on the back garden will blast it with the update and see if I can see any diff!

• Isn't that the old update from September 2011?

• It is. Same old update. :-)

• Are these firmware updates for lenses ok to install with a hack installed?

• I always thought the OIS was quite good anyway. I might have a go at updating mine at some point.

• Panasonic's 100-300mm Lens is a very good lens to use with the hack. You can get up close with objects 200 meters away.

If only Panasonic would make longer lenses, which were just as good. Using a video scoping method is great for getting up close and getting some snaps.

I have picked up a trick with the video scoping side though. You can use Photoshop CS5 to re-size the image thus creating a 16.2 mega pixel image like the GH2. Its not 100% as good but its better than nothing.

ha ha just noticed I put Austrin Martin. It supposed to be Aston Martin oops.

Austrin Martin.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Chimney Top 2 (200 metres away).jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Pigon (Original 100-150 metres away).jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Chimney Top (200 metres away).jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Austrin Martin (After resized).jpg
    4000 x 2250 - 3M
    Pigon (Original 100-150 metres away) 100-300 lens.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • I shot these two handheld last year. They're both all over the place, as I was shooting at 300 and 300 with ETC at 720 which is over 2000mm equiv.

What is very good though is how well it irons out all of the small vibrations and jitters at this magnification, and even does well with ETC at a silly focal length.

720p/30 MJPEG 300mm (600mm equiv)

720p/30 MJPEG 300mm + ETC x3.9 (2340mm equiv!)

• @cchrimsbroome - that's Aston Martin

• @mrbill - opps again my spelling is terrible that is the right way of saying.

• It appears that Panasonic updated the firmware of the 100-300mm lens (again).

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html

2012/01/25 Ver 1.2
    Improved the stability of O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer).

• I have been working with the Driftwood 244 for months now and rarely post video outcomes, but recently I started to push the 244 envelope by using a 300mm FD mount Canon F4. I continue to be knocked out by the results. I have to admit that my panning abilities stink but still the end result is ... more than expected. I have worked the 244 with 24MM FD Canon and have been quite amazed at its results as well, I can not imagine that the 244 could get even better. The Stalin Team must be compensated for their incredible work to date and their continuing efforts...Give, Remember someday the expansion of the GH2 firmware will cease and we will hold a very small camera with huge abilities. There is no tweaking of this footage.... it is raw. ISO 160 at a 50th. Cinema Mode. 300MM or 4/3 600MM

• Entirely shot on Pana 100-300. Close ups with ETC

• I just wanted to share the FOV of the Panny 100-300. There was alot of wind so there was excessive RS at the telephoto end. I'll probably do one more of these tests with no wind to see if it lessens the severity of the 'vapor' artifacts. I think that will always be there but it depends on the weather. I don't believe OIS or hacks can take care of it. If you guys know of how to minimize it, please share. I may be asking too much of the cam cause the reach is an insane 1,560mm (w/ETC) :)

• Anywhere to order this tripod mount? (i think I need it - not getting satisfactory results). Looked like the producer site was not ready yet...

• Optically, I’d say this lens is on par with other super tele zooms for any system, that I’ve used anyway. Granted I’ve not yet used the EF 200-400 f/4 +1.4x TC, but that is largely because I’ve already promised all my organs and appendages to various research facilities and can’t see me selling off a child to afford one. Plan on using higher ISO settings to gain access to fast enough shutter speeds to account for hand shake or certainly for moving subjects. I have yet to find a situation where I’ve felt the need to stop down past f/8 though and from what I’ve seen, f5.6 – f/8 is about the sharpest that this lens gets, so unless you really need to increase the DOF,

http://tysonrobichaudphotography.wordpress.com/2013/07/10/panasonic-lumix-100-300mm-waste-of-time-or-amazing-value/

• I am having problems with 100-300mm autofocus. My first copy of that lens AF died after one year of use and I got new one from warranty. Now after 1.5 years of use I have the same issue with the new one. When powering on the camera the lens AF sticks and does nothing. If I shake the lens during power on it may work normally after AF initializing sequence is ready. If I listen (ear near the lens) the AF motor clearly jams during power on. The AF motor hums but does nothing and the inside lens is not moving.

Is there anyone else with this issue? I have red some people in other forums having this issue. Panasonic Finland says that they dont know the issue as they usually says for everything.

• Curious as to why you'd ever use a lens this long hand-held

• @mrbill

Curious as to why you'd ever use a lens this long hand-held

I use that lens hand held all the time and it gives good results (when it works).

• @Vesku - I purchase my copy of 100-300mm Panasonic lens 4 years ago (2011) and haven't had any problems...and I'm not gentle with the lens (day hikes, bicycle). Very unfortunate that you have encountered the problem twice. :-(