Personal View site logo
GH3 fimware suggestions
  • 180 Replies sorted by
  • Analog video out working while recording (useful to transmit the video signal to the ground during aerial videography with drones).

• Even though this is Panasonic's flagship, keep in mind that we are still talking low cost, average customer camera here.

This is why best bet will be to have separeate application that will be able to do expert settings.

• Analog video out working while recording

This is hardware, I think. As you need to make one more scaling. Not an easy thing, if not included in hardware design.

• Linear response of the focusing ring, assignable function to it (such as iris or iso)

• I have a HDMI to Composite converter, the camera handshakes with the converter only if set in NTSC mode. BUG.

• RED DOT while recording, GREEN DOT while standby. Option to have the dots viewable in hdmi output. I need it when I'm with steadicam under sunlight conditions... Sometime it's hard to see if you're recording or not.

I miss the LANC, if something like that could be possible with the usb port it would be great. Zoom, Shutter, Focus, Exposure....

• During record: Ability to change WB and ISO
    • Smooth iris adjustment during record (on newer pana lenses)
    • A magic firmware trick to reduce sensor sensitivity, eliminating need for ND.

Previously mentioned, but would like to emphasize:

• Focus assist (peaking)
    • Fully assignable FN buttons. Option to assign autofocus to different button (separate from risky rec on/off).
    • Adjust audio level during record
  • "Analog video out working while recording"

I didn't even noticed that this is not possible with GH2, so I'm quite disappointed now - I was planning to use GH2 for aerial video as well and you need video out for that purpose definitelly.

• +1 For the suggestions Shian made about zebras, highlight clipping and focus assist.

+1 For the suggestions Bueller made about 4:2:2 and log.

+1 For changing ISO, WB and audio while recording, like Evero mentioned.

+1 For being able to shoot any mode "VMM" style and have it record at a different frame rate and playback at 24P, 25P or 30P.

+1 For editable picture profiles.

+1 For Wi-Fi or USB app to control intervalometer shooting and bracketing (preferrably together).

Or

+1 Firmware support for the protocols used by the Promote Control.

• Voice command!

Siri, Action. Focus. Cut!

Probably be on the iphone 5

• Voice command! Siri, Action. Focus. Cut!

Nope. It'll be:

Siri, Make perfect photo.... ok... Now, Siri, I need you to make perfect sex scene video.. No, no, not with you, stupid.

• Few ideas:

• New redefined menus.

• ISO 80.

• Easy and fast way to change audio levels while recording, maybe via Q.menu+wheel.

• Edit and store custom names of film modes.

• New redefined menus.

Can you be more specific?

• Easier menus. Sometime find or change what you need is very tricky..

• Easier menus. Sometime find or change what you need is very tricky..

Please, be more specific. How you want menus to look? May be some examples.

• I believe that general consensus exists among users that menus are confusing. Maybe that is something to work upon. I Don't have any specific ideas, except for menus to be more intuitive for new users. I got used to it more or less.

• @inqb8tr

I think, real changes will be possible only as we'll see capacitive screens on cameras.

Also, most expert settings must be moved into mobile applications out of the camera.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

It would be great to have that kind of mobile app, but those settings should be left available on camera too, in case your phone or whatever gadget dies..

• I would like it if when I went into the menu, I could always access all the settings, instead of having different ones hidden if I am in IA or M Movie Mode or Manual. Sometimes it is tricky to remember which dial setting you need to change a setting.

Also, it would be helpful if the setup section were more organized by categories. For instance "EVF/LCD" could have all the settings related to those "Lens/Focus Options" could have the "shoot without lens" and "MF assist" settings and things like that. It can be easy to miss options in the pages upon pages of settings to go through under the same heading at the moment.

Maybe the first screen of the menu could be labeled icons for each of the sections?

Also the "M, A, S" settings for M Movie mode should be moved from a menu option to a "Q Menu" option so that they can be easily seen and changed while shooting.

I mean, those are some of the types of things that might make it easier.

But possibly the most helpful, would be to have the firmware configured to match the exposure you will get in your shot when you are setting it up - by default - so that you do not get an exposure shift or gamma shift or what-have-you when you hit the shutter button.

• Allow completely disabling sharpening.
    • Allow completely disabling NR.
  • •True 180º Shutter = 1/48@24p

•2.39:1 widescreen shooting aspect •2.39:1 widescreen grid while shooting in other aspects

(BTW, 2.39:1 is widescreen standard, even on DVD. 2.35:1 hasn't been used for widescreen for 40 years. It's confusing because some people and DVDs continue to call it 2.35, but if you measure it, it's 2.39:1.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_format#2.35.2C_2.39_or_2.40.3F

•Highlight rolloff that would avoid ugly highlight color shifts by normalizing color channels as one channel approaches clipping. IOW, if two or three color channels are within a threshold range, as the hottest channel approaches 255, the other channel(s) are gently increased so they overexpose with balanced color.

The rolloff would also need a shoulder curve to make the transition more gentle.

• @AdR I like the highlight idea! Is this available in other cameras?

• Here's a pretty easy one:

Intelligent Dynamic with fixed, and controllable values. I.e. Does not fluctuate in a shot as you pan around.

Intelligent resolution with fixed and controllable values.

Perhaps the ID and IR setting can be programmed before rolling by using a Keyframe or raw frame in camera? sort of like custom white balance off of a Raw photo.

Here is a Link to Panasonic's explanation of iD and iA http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh2/ia.html

Generally more direct, non-fluctuating control over DSP/Signal Processing algortithms/signal chain.

• Intelligent Dynamic with fixed, and controllable values. I.e. Does not fluctuate in a shot as you pan around.

I spent time looking for ID and other things.

Unfortunately I couldn't track it down to image processing stage.

• ^interesting - I meant for Gh3 development (vs Gh2) does this mean you have a Gh3 alpha firmware @_@

• does this mean you have a Gh3 alpha firmware

Nope. I mean GH2.