Personal View site logo
Official GX1 hack development topic
  • 363 Replies sorted by
  • @buckpago No it can't.

• I havent try but does gx1 can be use with LCD Monitor thru HDMI output? im planning to use one since its LCD is fixed.

• Hi all, I hope testing and debugging is going well. Sorry for being a total lame brain when it comes to this hack but what does it actually do? So far I understand that it: 1. Can give you additional language options, if you need it. 2. Gives GX1 the option from 1080i to 1080p 3. Gives other MP4 options that are not available now.

Those are three great attributes and I don't want to sound ignorant but I was wondering if there was more like turning shooting video into fully manual, etc?

Thanks, Jakartaguy in Jakarta (Indonesia)

• Excellent! Thanks Vitaliy! Is this the best place to post feedback (what works/doesn't)

Ptool topic

• Excellent! Thanks Vitaliy! Is this the best place to post feedback (what works/doesn't) or post in the topic for the relevant device?

• Angel: yep, it's working right now... You can patch fw to multilanguage so then you can set any language (eng or esp). This patch is working, only some MP4 ICP (In Camera Playback) issues are present... Botha: you're right.. VK rocks and all my gratitude goes to him for his excellent work done...

• First of all we would like to say many, many thx to Vitaliy for the wonderful beta release, it really rocks ! Than i would like to ask Driftwood, if there will be a Cluster v6 release for G3 - that would be cool !!

• First of all I want to change the japanese menu to a english or spanish one. Is that possible?

• No, it's easy as a cake... :) Installation itself is a simple firmware update (copy BIN to SD and update). Only difference is that before install, you use PTool to modify firmware BIN file to your needs.. That's all.. All is on PTool wiki in case, you wouldn't know something...

• I have Cluster v6 ready to go for GX1 with higher bitrates in MP4 modes too - however, mp4 modes currently do not playback in camera. AVCHD FSH/SH does. Further testing is still being done before I release anything.

• I think I'll wait because my interest for my GX1 are MP4 recording and changing menu language from japanese. Is it difficult to install Ptool?

• You can test public beta now if you want... More beta testers are always good to find possible issues and resolve them. Curently there is some bug related to MP4 fore GX1, AVCHD is good as i know. For my G3 it seems that it's pretty stable at the moment...

• So, Vitaliy, I'm quite amateur in that, I supose I must wait until final Ptool releases for my GX1, is that right? Thanks

• @Micah

For the D7000, which only uses MP4 and not AVCHD, Vitaliy has said "Ideally it is possible, just requires rewrite of firmware parts, I think." when asked about spanning.

It is the same for any camera. It requires complete rewrite of large parts, if you require no missed frames.

• I'm not following how that's relevant at all. I think you're confused about what I'm asking.

You're talking about quality.

I'm asking if there is/will be a setting for spanning with MP4 video, which is automatically writing a new file when the existing one has reached 4gb. This doesn't directly relate to quality settings.

For the D7000, which only uses MP4 and not AVCHD, Vitaliy has said "Ideally it is possible, just requires rewrite of firmware parts, I think." when asked about spanning.

This is a question for him and only him. Thanks.

• GX1 1080p MP4 mode is h.264 Level 4.0 (level_IDC), baseline 66 (profile_IDC).

GX1 720p MP4 mode is h.264 Level 3.1 (level_IDC), baseline 66 (profile_IDC).

GX1 AVCHD FSH /AVCHD Lite 720p modes are both h.264 Level 4.0, High 100 (profile_IDC)

Level_IDC (which tell a decoder what to expect in terms of frame size, decoding speed, bitrate max and resolution supported) can be changed upwards quite easily in proggies such as Coolsoft AVC Level Editor, however profile_IDC seemingly can't (AVC profiles, are a series of confinements which dictate the specific class of application).

Also not quite sure if scaling tables are allowed in baseline 66.

More info: See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

Changing the profile of baseline 66 to a higher value in mp4 is not just a simple thing of changing the metaheaders - it would entertain rewriting code in the encoder and the RTP payload and lifting certain constraints - and I wouldn't know if this camera has sufficient support for such implementation.

• @Micah "...Also, motion picture recorded continuously in [MP4] is up to 4 GB..." from various Pany Lumiix cameras. They don't actually state this in the GX1 spec but I bet its the same! Try it - try Stock span on mp4 modes. I havent yet. :-)

Span is limited to AVCHD modes I believe...

• "Spanning" means making a 4gb file and continuing onto the next one without stopping, which is exactly the same as the default behaviour for AVCHD. AVCHD has no provision for files over 4gb, it just starts a new file when it hits that limit. As far as I can tell it's seamless once you drop it into the timeline of a video editor. There are camcorders that do this with MPEG, so it's not a new idea.

I see the option in Ptool for "30 minute limit removal", but without any model to test except the GX1, I'm not certain if this is limited to AVCHD modes (which have no limit on the GX1 to begin with).

• No, because mp4 container can only get to 4gb before it will stop. Common to mp4 container on Pany stuff.

• Does the hack have the potential to enable spanning in MP4 mode?

Sorry for something that may be answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

• I released second alpha, everyone who used previous alpha can get it from same place.

• @Micah

OK.

RIght now we have issues with MP4 modes. May be we'll need more testers to nail the cause.

• My GX1 arrives tomorrow...I'd be happy to beta test.

• Thanks, Vitaliy. Will it be soon?

Depends on testing results.