Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic G5 topic
  • 264 Replies sorted by
  • Does it have MIC input? Also it looks the "Electronic shutter mode" can now be used for full resolution photos and not like GH2 for burst shots...

Al in al a very nice camera!!

• Does it have MIC input?

My understanding is that G5 is for still shooters :-)

No manual video modes and no mic input.

• The newly added Electronic Shutter mode allows silent operation which is helpful in areas where silence is needed

This can be huge for timelapsers, as you can shoot full resolution images and do not worry about shutter life.

• Finally electronic shutter. Hello and thanks. Can I please take a photo at an event now without everyone turning around?

• Still the same shitty Dynamic Range- I was hoping for a better sensor:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jesusleon/7595275710/sizes/o/in/photostream/

• Still the same shitty Dynamic Range- I was hoping for a better sensor:

LOL.

First, you need to know real dynamic range of image.
    Second, you need to use RAW. Third, physics prevent to radically improve dynamic range of ANY sensor.

If you look at BMC, it's sensor uses double ADCs and requires excessive active cooling.

• I don't think dynamic range is that important. Most of the time the blacks are crushed anyway. Compressing the full dynamic range. I'd like to see better highlight rendering.Real film has very beautiful and smooth highlights. We don't. Harsh fall off to whites.

• Electronic shutter is a useful option for me, here's hoping it makes in onto the GH3 as well

• That's because film is logarithmic in exposure whereas digital is linear (well more exponential, we just tend to measure only the linear part). But if you've ever work with RAW photos before you'll know just how much recoverable detail there is over JPG, I am quite amazed by the GH2 RAW files in Lightroom 4 over 3

• @trayloader saw this about the dynamic range http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/panasonic-g5-1089292/review/page:5 . From what I see it is about the same at least at low iso to the 5N. What I don't understand is the interpretation of the values by the reviewer, perhaps he is putting the emphasis on the whole ISO range , because in jpeg it is the highest and at raw level (about 12 stop) at base 160 it is the same than the Sony 5n. At 12 stop it is about the same than most Canon Apsc. I think we will have to wait about the dxomark to be sure.

• I know how great RAW can be. I was mainly referring to video DR. Having more information in the highest highlights is far more valuable and filmic than the overall DR.

• I thought for one second that it would be a better camera than the gh2 for video shooters. Unfortunately, no manual setting in video. We will have to wait for the gh3. So what about the viewfinder, is it better than the gh2 and other cameras. I see 1.44 dot and don't know how it relates.

• @danyyyel

VF must ve the same as in latest cameras. May be with some minor improvements.

• @Vitaliy thanks, but are the latest one better than the gh2. Because even if I have an external monitor, I find the gh2 viewfinder quite good for focusing in more run and gun situation. A bigger with more pixel would for me reduce the need of an external evf for example.

• Is it just me or does the G5 look like a GH2 without the multi aspect ratio sensor, without the external controls, without the manual movie mode(Easily fixed by VK), and without the few extra megapixels?

It does seem to have a lot of things I wish my GH2 had(HDR, AFF, single point focus, silent shutter with RAW, 1080p @ 60 FPS, 720p @ 120 FPS, the zoom lever, taking stills while shooting 1080p video....etc).

I seriously am not sure what they are going to put in the GH3 that will make me want to buy it over the G5. I am sure they will come up with something though.

• Main ones will be EVF, I think something with video modes and encoding, and WiFi.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Isn't it funny that Panasonic was touting 1080i as better than 720p when the GH2 first came out? Now they are totally trashing 1080i and thereby trashing their own GH2.

I agree with Panasonic 1080p @ 60 FPS looks excellent even on youtube. I want to try the 720p @ 120 FPS though. You can losslessly extract 720p @ 24, 30, 60, and 120 FPS from that. 120 FPS is the ultimate frame rate in my book.

I suspect the GH3 will have 720p @ 120 FPS without sound though.

• Is electronic shutter the same as global shutter? It is my understanding, an electronic shutter reduces the DR over a traditional shutter.

Did I miss something?> Does this have 720p 120?

• We'll need to wait to get idea that this electronic shutter is.

But this is not global shutter.

Does this have 720p 120?

Nope. FZ200 has it.