Personal View site logo
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • @splendidd: i liked your stuff. Very nice. In my opinion you just perhaps overdid it a bit with the movement of the camera. those camera moves or for ex anamorphic lenses, shallow depth of field are all very en vogue now, but people overdo it in my opinion plus it makes a lot of stuff look to similar.

• @gsoberg Ciao Greg, while the earthquake video is made with sedna q20, Autunno is made with original 1.1 firmware with bitrate increased manually to 44 with pttools, color mode Nature -2 -2 0 -2, cinema 24p, exposure manual, WB manual K°, set scene by scene, color corrected and graded in FCPX, transcoded in FCPX. Invest your time in piloting... that gives much better results imho. Hope that helped.

• @Mirrorkisser: Thanks for your comments ;-)

• @davidhjlindberg great example works amazingly well. Fantastic tip makes the footage look unbelievable

• @robbie75vr stunning work. Really great control and cinematic moves. Also the pictures look fantastic

• @Zaven13 Sad ! in 45min no one enters the car park ! no big deals in the mall

• what I see the Nebular Cluster V6 is worse than Sedna AQ20 A. .. but I think the V6 cluster, may be the only one to have a good quality in all modes.

My question is between the cluster and Nebular Drewnet V6, which version is best for 24p, for I see that the flow rate is lower on the Nebular but it does not necessarily mean that it is not so good?

Drewnet ..? Nebular ...?

my favorite remains 24p CN Majoris Night: D when a version of CM Night + v6 cluster to 720p and HBR. :D

• What is the best 720p mode settings at the moment? It seems like the CM series is consistently giving me high i frames no matter the detail but skinny p and b frames, whiles the cluster series is consistently giving me about half of the i frame size equivalent of the CM series but much fatter p and b frames.

The ideal thing to have would be something in between these 2 extremes.

CM night 720 60p.PNG
    1294 x 679 - 110K
    Cluster V6 nebular 720 60p.PNG
    1292 x 680 - 119K
  • Shot this with the GH2 Mysteron, Quantum 9b, and Kit Lens

• BEGGINER QUESTION , WHICH ONE HAS THE BEST DINAMIC RANGE AT 1080P OR 2K??? AND WHICH ONE HAS THE LARGEST STABLE BITRATE?? THANKS !

• My mate Jan made this test with Cluster V5 and the Panasonic Lumix14-45mm X-lens:

• @DeShonDixon, great video man, I love the mood and the colours. I am curious, what did you use for grading? Thanks

• @xavieramelio just standard color curves and levels in Sony Vegas

• Can Nebular Cluster v6 work on a GH1? Is it possible to get a similar patch for the GH1?

• Ok, now cluster v6 nebular screwed up for me aswell. I was recording in a garden with many small detailed flowers etc and with above average sunlight. I am using the sandisk extreme 45mbs.

I did not get any writing errors, but my camera cant play back the files, it gives me a read error. The problem is, i am on vacations and here i only have a really old pc which plays all footage really shocky and not fluent so i cant say if its good or not.

Now i am switching to drewnet and try to reproduce the problem.

ok now i used another sd card, cluster v6 drewnet and other lenses: still the issue remained. I cant playback the files. The only way it works if i pan the camera totally out of focus over the lawn with the flowers. Then i can playback the files (prolly due to lower bitrate.

Any ideas? I know some people mentioned problems with cluster playback in cameras but the workaround that was referred to, i could not find.

• @mirrokisser, Try switching camera off and on. (I make it a habit now). Then it should replay your files. No need to remove and reinsert battery. I have tried these patches in sequence: EOSHD vanilla 44 (occassional playback issues), Sanity 5 (no issues, but exposes noise in shadows during heavy color correction editing), now on Cluster 6 "Nebular" (so far experienced playback issue once). I chose these because I shoot and wanted good 1080i movie files, and at the same time can shoot stills without turning the dial to "Movie(M)". I also sometimes need to mix 1080i 25fps files from my camcorder during editing. I use Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB 95Mbps card.

• @docolomo vanilla 44 and all other patches from eoshd has some issue. better stay with driftwood patches,... cluster v4 or v5.1 would fit well if you have trouble with v6. or try span my bitch cluster v2...sanity v4,...and so on

• @docolomo, thx for your reply. Of course i tried switching it off etc. Still i have the playback issue.

The place i am staying at for the next weeks has a really old pc that plays all my gh2 files with stuttering, even those my gh2 plays. So i can not check the quality of those my gh2 does not play. Which is a bad feeling, cause i will rely on that material.

Amy suggested patch, that gives me equally good picture without that issue?

Cheers

• a quick test with Cluster v6 DREWnet in low light. All looks great. Grain at higher ISOs is fine, but slight traces of banding is noticeable in the original files.

• Topic : http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3926/my-work

Pushing the GH2 to the max : Quality / Dynamic range test

GH2 Cluster v4 (12/15 GOP variation setting) @ 640 ISO

Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 at f/1.4 + variable ND filter

Vibrant -2 -2 -1 -2 & Night WB

Gamma +2 & a little Colorista II

• Please do not judge the rappers performance and/or even my skills as a cameraman since we where in speed and I was locked with only one camera to use with a 25mm on rocks .. It was the end of a day for a music video shoot

• @MirrorMan: I checked out the orig file. Very nice. Great lens. Love the details. Do you think the grain will be gone or significantly less with Canis Hack? I usually shoot alot of nature.

• @pvjames I haven't worked with the Canis hack or many of the other high bitrate settings for that matter so I couldn't tell you. I'm interested in Cluster for the quality vs efficiency factor. Until now I've been satisfied with CBrandin's 44/66 setting.

And I just realized everything was shot on 24L. The files were averaging 45MB/s, so I guess if quality is critical 24H might be better.

@ghostlayer thanks!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions