Personal View site logo
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • @MartinD and @retrospective To be honest i can't spot much difference. I believe that Sedna should be better but honestly i can't see any difference. I am really impressed with both Cluster - Nebular and DrewNet. I'll try to post a test Nebular vs DrewNet. @mo7ies haven't tested Quantum 9b yet, and most probably i won't test it because i am really happy with Sedna Q20, DrewNet and Nebular.

• Made with Sedna Q20

• Under that lighting condition, i'm not surprised it's hard to see a difference. Try the same comparision, but with low light under exposed and see how well it renders detail into the shadows.

• @robbie75vr wow! What lens did you shoot this with? Such beautiful imagery from such a tragedy :( Please share with us your settings.

• @robbie75vr That was beautiful. The aerial shots took my breath. (Was it an RC helicopter?)

• @robbie75vr tho a sad tragedy.. wow what nice images

• So what does everyone like now with fast cards for 720/60 ? Cluster? or drew? Its getting confusing lol. Nick any input you have would be awesome. and thanks for your hard work!

• Perhaps this is a stupid question. But can someone make a simple chart that details the resolution/settings that are achieved with the different video modes via the patch? Its so unclear to me, with 24H and 24L and the different color modes, etc..

Also, where is the 2k mode? Sorry if these are too simple, but I just dont see this explained clearly anywhere. Perhaps I can deduce it by loading the settings into PTool and decoding, but its quite complex...

• @ethanpil. Your question is a loaded one. There are too many settings. Each setting has various recording modes. Each recording mode can produce different bitrates depending on whether it is CBR or VBR and the type of scene/detail your are shooting. The easiest way is to go to Hacks and Patches, select each post, login and download the zip file for each setting located in the first page. Then look into the .ini file. All of the information is in there. As for 2k mode, it refers to MJPEG setting that is set to 2k in the latest Driftwood settings (also in the .ini file). Hope this gets you started.

• @Zaven13 Thanks for your help. I will study the file more.

Can I safely assume that 24H is the highest quality recording mode with most patches?

Are there some general rules that apply to all patches? Like the film modes? Do the patches affect the film modes as well? (For example, would the info in this thread apply here:?: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/461/gh2-film-modes/p1 )

I am sorry if these are answered in other places. I have tried to search. If I am polluting the thread I will start another one, however I think it would be quite useful to get the info about this which is related to this patch.

• @strancali @RobShaver @adamquesada Thanks guys, I filmed that with a mix of lenses, the aerial shots with Panasonic 7-14, others with Nikkor 70-200 f.2.8 vrII, nikkor 50 1.4, nikkor 17-55 2.8, Panasonic 14-140 and a Nikkor 80 f1.4. Everything filmed in Cinema mode 24fps. never clipped highlights then I adjusted the exposure and graded in FCPX. Transcoded to prores422 with 5DtoRGB (ITU709). The aerial filming is done with my multicopter.

If you like my aerial filming, this is so far one of my best video, made with 7-14, Nature -2-2+1-2:

• @robbie75vr WOW!!! That was amazing!

• @robbie75vr absolutly awesome ! semplicemente splendido , sei bravissimo !

• @strancali @valpopando thanks guys, glad you like it! Ciao valpopando grazie

@ethanpil I'm with you man, I also am very confused about all these patches and settings, there should be a wiki explaining what has been done (maybe there is one already ?), how it works, where to download it, what are the features of every patch... some "normal" page with normal explanations for busy people that can't spend a day reading dozens of pages.. anyway, regarding your question, afaik 24H is the highest (you can reco two clips and check out the different bitrate with "stream parser for gh2", I don't think film modes are affected by patches, the colors and contrast should be rendered always at the same way. My suggestion is to do some testing as I did, my main subject for example is nature, I went outdoor in a field one morning, decided five different shots, then I made them multiple times with all settings (many many shots at the end yes) then I compared them to decide what is best for any specific case. It takes time but it's better than any internet suggestion, go and see what you like, I spent more than a full day from shooting to save the files with settings keywords, comparing, making videos with side by side comparison... but it's gaves me many answers and good results. 2k ? ah I didn't even know that aha..

• Nebular spans at 24L and 24H on both Sandisk SDHC 32 Gb 30MB and Sandisk SDXC 64 GB 45MB. DrewNet no spans at any 24 on SDHC, but on SDXC spans.

• Good old, stable Sedna Q20, slowmo. Will be trying nebular these days.

• @MinorHD, loved your video. Wich of the Sednas? Could you share your settings? What did you grade with? Thanks

• @act and others...

what do you mean when you say "Nebular spans at ...", what span means ? thanks

• @robbie75vr check the FAQ's http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-usage/gh2-usage or ask questions in the relevant topic. check beginners: basic hacks questions all the answers are there ;-)

• @Diffusion33 I did but still not clear to me, but thanks.

• @robbie75vr

what do you mean when you say "Nebular spans at ...", what span means ?

Span in this case means that hacked videos do not just stop recording at 4GB mark. Instead, they continue on to the next 4GB video file, as needed. When you put those files next to each other on the timeline, you will see continuous video, uninterrupted. This is called Spanning.

Some hacks/cards span, some don't.

• @robbie75vr the file system used on modern SD cards limits file sizes to 4GB. On a clip shot with Sedna Q20 A settings for instance, the GH2 will have roughly 4 minutes before it has to "span" from one file to the next so that it can keep recording until the card is full (or you press stop or the battery runs dry, etc.). The moment in which a spanning occurs is one of the most critical ones for settings, especially for high-bitrate ones, because of the additional overhead imposed to the I/O by closing a file and creating a new one. So, it is during a spanning that it's the most likely for a setting to fail. Searching PV for related posts will provide you with a lot more interesting info about spanning if you are interested, but I hope I got you started with the basic info. cheers.

• @mo7ies thanks man. Simple then.... my camera with these hacks just freeze sometime, and I have to remove the batteries... I was thinking was span

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions